VLOS

Reaction score
This is why you need VLOS gents. The green patch in the background is launch point. I lost it behind the rock. Thank god for Obstacle Avoidance. Not a mark on the Phantom--thought the props might have hit it. All good. Lessen learned.

Close call - it would have been a long walk to retrieve your drone. It looks like you just happened to stop it over the bush, with the obstacle avoidance then preventing you moving forward into the branches. Is that what happened, or did the sensors stop it over the bush? Or did you lose signal, it stopped and then attempted to return on its own?

Oh yeh that could have been long walk alright,I suggest you go buy lottery ticket, :rolleyes:
Myself lost vlos few times over the years ,main thing ,dont panic or stupid things happen
Altitude your friend and camera to get your bearings again
Great clip to share thanks,take care

Thanks for sharing

This is why you need VLOS gents. The green patch in the background is launch point. I lost it behind the rock. Thank god for Obstacle Avoidance. Not a mark on the Phantom--thought the props might have hit it. All good. Lessen learned.

I hope so I’ve been flying for five years I’ve never once came so close to anything just wondering why you didn’t go up higher and just start Your flight I hope you did learn something I read so much about people losing their investments up up and away stay away from everything that’s my motto

Reactions: snowghost
If you lost lost visual it is important that you know where it happened. Must be no obstacles around. If not sure then the best thing you can do is going up to the altitude where no obstacles should be. This isn't 100% true in the mountains.
In your case, really stressful indeed, I would rotate the craft around it's vertical axis with absolutely no side movements to orient myself what is behind the drone. If nothing there then maybe is the best solution to go into that direction.
The only good thing is, that in most cases on the screen the obstacles appear closer than it really are.
Did you get the alarm sound when this happened?

About VLOS if I loose it I do that on purpose if I see something very interesting that it would be pitty not to be filmed.
Of course I wouldn't do that if some obstacles around like in your case.
But the main reason why you found yourself in such a stressful situation was your backward flying. I lost the drone once in the same stupid backward flying.

The alarm sounded. But before it did I lost visual and instead or RTH thought I'd pull it back with Course Lock. Not the right thing to do.

Personally, the best obstacle avoidance is called 'altitude'.

Last edited:

I’m sorry but you just not looking at your screen or what. had you been I would have pulled up. Makes no sense to me. You don’t fly that far not knowing where you are at without watching your screen.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I’m sorry but you just not looking at your screen or what. had you been I would have pulled up. Makes no sense to me. You don’t fly that far not knowing where you are at without watching your screen.
Looking at your screen won't help with obstacle avoidance if you're flying backwards or sideways!

I hope so I’ve been flying for five years I’ve never once came so close to anything just wondering why you didn’t go up higher and just start Your flight I hope you did learn something I read so much about people losing their investments up up and away stay away from everything that’s my motto
The longer I've been flying, the lower I've tended to fly. Being high is safe... and boring.

The longer I've been flying, the lower I've tended to fly. Being high is safe... and boring.
It's like with any activity you undertake for a prolonged period of time... eventually you need to push the boundaries to keep things interesting. I've been doing more proximity flying of late. It sure gets the heart pounding.

This is my latest piece of silliness. And yes, I ended up in a tree!

It's like with any activity you undertake for a prolonged period of time... eventually you need to push the boundaries to keep things interesting. I've been doing more proximity flying of late. It sure gets the heart pounding.

This is my latest piece of silliness. And yes, I ended up in a tree!

Who put that tree there,see those leaves fly lol,messy ha the dreaded green stain

He said that he lost visual. In this case the only thing you can do is to stop immediately and then go up. When you think that you're high enough push RTH. But in case the drone might have gone behind a hill you can leave it hoovering and change your position to get the visual back. If you have enough battery of course. If you lose the signal as well then begin to pray. LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl