Video recording Image frozen/corrupt (P3P 4k 30fps)

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had my P3P for quite a few months now and have about 50 flights on it. Encountered an odd problem the other day that I've never had before.

While viewing my 4k recording on the computer, there is about 1sec of normal footage, then the video image freezes and stays like this for the rest of the 9minute video.
This has now happened twice. First time was on 16minute flight. The recording was split up automatically by the camera into two files as flight as normal for the long flights where the file gets over 4gb.(as per normal, since format was FAT32 by default). However the first file (9mins) corrupted like I described originally, whilst the second file was fine (6mins). The next time this happened it was on the second part of the recording (6mins) whilst the first part (10mins) was fine. This time there was about 1minute of normal footage on the file, and then the image freezes and stays like this while the video counts down the rest of the time remaining. There was no other signs of corruption on the video such as a weird name, or the file being unrecognized or unable to be played in a video player.

The video downfeed from the ipad2 however was intact, and luckily I was able to use that and still have a record of the flight.

The SD card I'm using is a 64GB Sandisk Class 10 that I've had from the start and never had any issues with. It wasn't a particularly hot day so I doubt anything would be overheating. The one thing I'm not sure on is whether I pressed the "stop recording" button before powering off the quad, but I have done this many times in the past and the videos have always been fine.

Anyone else ever had this problem and have any idea what could be causing it? Could my p3p simply be breaking from being used so much? It's really quite annoying to lose 10min of prime footage.

Did you usually format your memory card on the computer, in the P3 or just delete the files on the card from the computer after they are copied on it?
I assume you use the latest version of firmware and app.
If you had really the live video on the app and the recorded file was corrupted it can be a corrupted or faulty memory card. You can maybe try the memory card that come with the P3.
Many people says that it is better to format the memory card in the P3 through the app for firmware upgrade, so it should be also better for normal video recording.

Hi there,

I've had my P3P for quite a few months now and have about 50 flights on it. Encountered an odd problem the other day that I've never had before.

While viewing my 4k recording on the computer, there is about 1sec of normal footage, then the video image freezes and stays like this for the rest of the 9minute video.
This has now happened twice. First time was on 16minute flight. The recording was split up automatically by the camera into two files as flight as normal for the long flights where the file gets over 4gb.(as per normal, since format was FAT32 by default). However the first file (9mins) corrupted like I described originally, whilst the second file was fine (6mins). The next time this happened it was on the second part of the recording (6mins) whilst the first part (10mins) was fine. This time there was about 1minute of normal footage on the file, and then the image freezes and stays like this while the video counts down the rest of the time remaining. There was no other signs of corruption on the video such as a weird name, or the file being unrecognized or unable to be played in a video player.

The video downfeed from the ipad2 however was intact, and luckily I was able to use that and still have a record of the flight.

The SD card I'm using is a 64GB Sandisk Class 10 that I've had from the start and never had any issues with. It wasn't a particularly hot day so I doubt anything would be overheating. The one thing I'm not sure on is whether I pressed the "stop recording" button before powering off the quad, but I have done this many times in the past and the videos have always been fine.

Anyone else ever had this problem and have any idea what could be causing it? Could my p3p simply be breaking from being used so much? It's really quite annoying to lose 10min of prime footage.

You copied the files to the HD and they look Normal, did you try an alternate media player?
Windows?
VLC Player?
Media Player?

I use windows 10
VLC Player and Media Player, sometimes VLC act's up, so I use Media Player and it works fine.

Aye this has only been happening after the recent firmware update, so I will format the memory card through the P3P and see if it happens again. I usually just delete the files off the memory card after copying them over.

I was using VLC to view the files. I tried Windows Media Player but it wouldn't even play any of recordings, including the intact ones (perhaps because its 4k) and I haven't ever used WMP or updated its codecs. I'll try my Premiere Pro later when I get it reinstalled and maybe that will work.

Hi there,

I am having the same problem with videos I shot for a client. Did you ever figure how to fix the video or view it? I had no weird weather and everything was updated also. Same with you. Please help.

I am having the same problem with videos I shot for a client. Did you ever figure how to fix the video or view it? I had no weird weather and everything was updated also. Same with you. Please help.
Nope never figured out what it was.
I formatted the card through the phantom, and now make sure to press stop recording each time I power off. Hadn't had the problem since.

Nope never figured out what it was.
I formatted the card through the phantom, and now make sure to press stop recording each time I power off. Hadn't had the problem since.

This is key... stop the recording BEFORE powering off.... I give it a minute just to make sure it as written and closed the file before I power it off. Seems like the longer the video, the longer I need to wait power it off after stopping the recording. If it's only a minute recording I can stop the recording and power it off within 10 seconds after stopping the recording... If it is a 15 minute recording I wait 30 seconds after stopping the recording to make sure it wraps it up cleanly inside.

I had the same problem. stop the recording BEFORE powering off^^ is definitely important. That said I had read that if the file is still on your sd card you can put it back in your ph3 and turn on and it will finish the file and fix it. I tried this and it didn't work for me. Maybe it would work for you. Worth a try to recover that video.

This is key... stop the recording BEFORE powering off.... I give it a minute just to make sure it as written and closed the file before I power it off. Seems like the longer the video, the longer I need to wait power it off after stopping the recording. If it's only a minute recording I can stop the recording and power it off within 10 seconds after stopping the recording... If it is a 15 minute recording I wait 30 seconds after stopping the recording to make sure it wraps it up cleanly inside.
Are you seeing an indicator somewhere saying it's ok to turn off the bird, or are you simply guessing at the length of time to wait to complete all file writes, based on gut feel and computer experience?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31