Video is all grainy

D

Deleted member 76824

Hi,

Wander if anyone can help with this. I was recently in Iceland and filmed a lot of waterfalls and other snowy landscapes. Upon reviewing some of my footage, a lot of it seems to be extremely grainy/noisey and basically un-useable which is very disappointing. At some points during my flights, I had increased the exposure manually a little as the picture was looking quite dark due to cloud cover.

I filmed in 4k, and whilst actually flying, the picture on my iPad looked ok, but upon review on my MacBook air, the footage is looking the way it is.

So, my questions are:

Could this be to do with my MacBook not being able to play back 4k footage?
Is it due to my exposure settings during filming?
Is there a way to correct this in either iMovie or FCPX? - I am not a natural editor but trying to learn.

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get as it would be such a shame to lose such beautiful footage!

Thanks!

J

I believe you are reviewing the files from your SD card and not from the monitor.

Have you ever tried to save videos on SD card with auto settings and was the quality ok?

No it's not due to MacBook
Yes it could be due to over exposure
Try to fix with iMovie

I believe you are reviewing the files from your SD card and not from the monitor.

Have you ever tried to save videos on SD card with auto settings and was the quality ok?

No it's not due to MacBook
Yes it could be due to over exposure
Try to fix with iMovie

Thanks for the reply....I have saved the videos from my Phantom's SD card to my External Hard drive and have been viewing them from that. I don't understand what you mean when you say 'not from the monitor'.

Thanks,

Low resolution videos are also saved on tablet.

Assuming you are working with the files on the SD card i would suspect your footage is underexposed. This can easily happen with snow, even in auto mode as the light meter in the camera is set to 18% grey. You may be able to improve it in an editor like FCPX using the colour board and scopes to set the levels.

Assuming you are working with the files on the SD card i would suspect your footage is underexposed. This can easily happen with snow, even in auto mode as the light meter in the camera is set to 18% grey. You may be able to improve it in an editor like FCPX using the colour board and scopes to set the levels.

Thanks very much! I will try and alter the colouring in FCPX and see if that makes a difference! Greatly appreciated.

Do you need it to be 4K res??? if no then you can always brighten up a little in post and then downscale to 1080p.

Can you post a sample video for us to look at? That would help a lot.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi All,

This was the best I could put together in the end!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi All,

This was the best I could put together in the end!

Great footage, didn't notice and problems with it?...
I will tell you what is funny, you created a forums about a camera looking weird in Iceland, if you go down a bit someone else made a forum about it too, maybe Iceland interferes with drones! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic