Reaction score
First of all...whoever created this forum for Phantom enthusiasts should be commended! This forum is MUCH better than DJI's "official" forum!!!

Now then, on to my question...

I consider myself to be efficient when it comes to editing audio files and still-frame slide shows and presentations. I'm not a professional but I'm above-average when it comes to using modern technology.

Having said that, what would be a good app or software bundle that I should consider using to edit videos and pics from my P3P? I'd lime something fairly straightforward and easy to learn but, at the same time, has a few "bells and whistles" to spice things up.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks and DRONE ON!!!
-Scoop

Premiere Pro is great, fairly easy, massively powerful. After effects is great too, but more for the post effects.
The adobe payment model isn't great for an occasional user, but still, great products.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions! I'll check it out. As I'm preparing to start flying commercially, I'll be more than an occasional user.

-Scoop

Reactions: PaulSouthport
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions! I'll check it out. As I'm preparing to start flying commercially, I'll be more than an occasional user.

-Scoop
If you are on PC, I highly recommend the Adobe CC subscription. If you'll be doing pro stuff, use pro stuff. It's worth it. The basics are easy and you get ALL the Adobe software for $40 per month (discounts for students and educators and other groups).

Reactions: PaulSouthport
Having said that, what would be a good app or software bundle that I should consider using to edit videos and pics from my P3P? I'd lime something fairly straightforward and easy to learn but, at the same time, has a few "bells and whistles" to spice things up.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks and DRONE ON!!!
-Scoop

How about FREE?!? BlackMagic Design developed DaVinci Resolve for video editing and Fusion for special effects editing and they are close competitors to Adobe. The basic versions are free to download and use. Great color grading and correcting features. Supposedly used for TV and cinema. I was a hard core Premiere Pro and After Effects user. I still have Adobe CS 6 loaded on my computer, and do still use these occasionally, but I refuse to buy into a subscription service. Resolve and Fusion are excellent replacements. Like any professional level editing software it takes a little bit of practice to get smooth with the editing, but the BlackMagic Design software is about the same as any of the paid solutions.

Reactions: benthinking08

Adobe blocks all but a few high end GPUs. I have a GTX 1050 GPU and had to modify the Adobe software to recognize it. True, Resolve does require that you have a GPU, but it accepts a broad spectrum of brands and models. The bottom line is, if you are using a quality editor and working HD to 4K, you will need the hardware to manage the throughput.

I'm not sure that's correct, my PC which is decent in everything apart from GPU - a old Nvidia GT 320, runs PP and Ae just fine. It would render faster with a better GPU, but the editing is no problem and not laggy.
DaVinci resolve won't run on my old banger of a GPU.

Reactions: Freddy4130
Yeah, that's incorrect. PP is very CPU heavy but very little GPU. I have a 2011 MacBook air and can edit 1080 video no problem. I think it has internal graphic poop. My new PC has an i7 processor and crushes 4k with only a GTX 1060 GPU. Almost any GPU will work with PP.

I'm not sure that's correct, my PC which is decent in everything apart from GPU - a old Nvidia GT 320, runs PP and Ae just fine. It would render faster with a better GPU, but the editing is no problem and not laggy.
DaVinci resolve won't run on my old banger of a GPU.

Actually, Premiere Pro is most likely not using using your GPU for acceleration. If you follow the link you posted for Premiere Pro requirements, you'll see the list of accepted GPUs. If your GPU is not in that list, Premiere Pro will not use it (I don't think the GT320 is listed). That list is implanted in the software, and if the Adobe software does not "see" one of those listed GPUs, it ignores the GPU on your computer. The only way I could get it to use my GTX-1050 was to go into the software and manually enter my GPU's nomenclature. Now I get GPU acceleration with Premiere Pro and After Effects. Perhaps the cloud subscription service of Adobe may now accept GPUs not on the list, but they've been pretty specific in the past. You are correct that any system must meet the minimum specs, and Resolve does require a GPU, but it accepts a very broad spectrum of GPUs. And the difference with Adobe is that it will actually work without a GPU at all, for $40 a month.

Yeah, that's incorrect. PP is very CPU heavy but very little GPU. I have a 2011 MacBook air and can edit 1080 video no problem. I think it has internal graphic poop. My new PC has an i7 processor and crushes 4k with only a GTX 1060 GPU. Almost any GPU will work with PP.

You don't need a GPU for Adobe. Only to get the benefit of hardware acceleration. Originally, my i7 processed 4K in Premiere Pro without a GPU card at all, so it's not necessarily using your GPU. Check your project settings (General > rendering and playback) in Premiere Pro and see if you are able to select hardware acceleration. If you can't select it, i.e., it's grayed out, or if it only has the option for software, then it's not using your GPU, just the CPU.

You don't need a GPU for Adobe. Only to get the benefit of hardware acceleration. Originally, my i7 processed 4K in Premiere Pro without a GPU card at all, so it's not necessarily using your GPU. Check your project settings (General > rendering and playback) in Premiere Pro and see if you are able to select hardware acceleration. If you can't select it, i.e., it's grayed out, or if it only has the option for software, then it's not using your GPU, just the CPU.
I think you confused us when you said "Adobe blocks all but a few high end GPUs". That's not really the case. I know how to use Adobe and my computer.

Really appreciate all the comments and pros/cons being discussed! Having a forum full of people who actually care and are genuinely passionate about droning makes for an awesome community!

Thanks again & DRONE ON!
-Scoop

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31