Video Editing Advice Needed

Wow, you've done every single "don't" in video making, all in 1 video. Well done :)

1. It's way too long. Cut, cut cut!
2. Make all movements slow and smooth, don't wave the camera around like a conductor's baton.
3. Minimise camera movements. Only use them when 'necessary' and 'effective'.
4. Start all shots with a still camera - ie, no movement.
5. End all shots with a still camera - ie, no movement.
6. Cut your shots together to tell a naturally flowing story, don't flit from subject to subject and back again.
7. Avoid cutting from a camera (or scene) moving in one direction to one moving in another, particularly the opposite, direction.
8. Don't pan or tilt or move in one direction then immediately back again.
9. Try to match movement between shots, ie have things moving in a similar way in adjoining shots.
10. Don't combine 2 movements in the one shot.

These are all basic 'rules' for video. Of course, they can be broken and videographers frequently do, but they do so for effect and in the full understanding of what they are doing. Until you get to be an expert it's best to learn, understand, know and apply the rules.

I hope that helps a bit.

7:29 is too long? I was thinking about keeping mine to 3-4 minutes. When I do a video I definitely want your advice! Great tips!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Wow, you've done every single "don't" in video making, all in 1 video. Well done :)

Lol, when I first watched the video I thought we were being trolled. It was like watching someone who just bought their first Slider and their first video is nothing but slide movements. You definitely gave him some excellent pointers.

Go easy on him guys. Not everyone is artistic! I'm not but learned early less, short, smooth and simple is better with video....it helps that I use to DJ back in the day!

7:29 is too long? I was thinking about keeping mine to 3-4 minutes. When I do a video I definitely want your advice! Great tips!

3-4 minutes of video can only hold people's attention if it's compelling stuff.

Go easy on him guys. Not everyone is artistic! I'm not but learned early less, short, smooth and simple is better with video....it helps that I use to DJ back in the day!
No point in going easy. He asked for advice. My advice is sound and useful if he cares to accept it. Cheers.

Reactions: woobisah
No point in going easy. He asked for advice. My advice is sound and useful if he cares to accept it. Cheers.
I think your advice is very useful! Gonna take mine out tomorrow n hopefully get something worth watching LOL [emoji41]

Fantastic tips. I need to incorporate all of them. Even though I keep most of my vids less than 4 minutes they could use some paring.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20