Vibration while hovering

Reaction score
This afternoon I went out and flew my P3P in some fairly cold temps. It was about 29 degrees F. I followed the usual procedures for cold weather flight. When I took off and was hovering to let things warm up I noticed a pretty solid vibration (the entire p3p).

After a couple of minutes the vibration seemed to settle down and smooth out.
My question is, is this something that is normal in cold weather flights while warming up or could it be something else?

I should also note: upon starting everything up it said IMU error although I had recently calibrated it. This happened on the first attempt of the flight so I aborted and it went away by the time I got it inside to check it out.

Attempted the flight again and same message and then again, it went away once it warmed up.
Also, got a an unknown can't start contact DJI error, 42 I believe it was which also went away after shutting everything down and restarting the process.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

What did you to when you "went inside to check" after the IMU error. Cold calibration im hoping. What were the MOD values? No way i would fly untill i had recalibrated imu and compass...

What did you to when you "went inside to check" after the IMU error. Cold calibration im hoping. What were the MOD values? No way i would fly untill i had recalibrated imu and compass...

I had just calibrated both IMU and compass but recalibrated anyway just to be safe. What do you mean by MOD values?

I just got the same message. Contacted DJI, said to calibrate IMU. Someone on another thread said there was a hardware issue, but I forget what it was. Search unknown error 42 and you can read about it.

Reactions: Masonmedia
I flew my P3P today in 18 degree weather and it was windy out. We just got slammed by a snow storm. I had perfect stable pictures and videos. I took it up to 150 feet! I must say the GPS technology kept my DJI pretty stable even with the high winds. I know I was being a dare devil today for at one point the wind was 18 knots.

I have some recommendations you might want to perform. Recalibrate your IMU then right after that recalibrate your Gimble. Check your props for any damage. If there are any nicks or dings, replace them. I might also try to remove the propellers and put them back on, insuring that you have the correct propellers in their proper designated (color matched) location. When you are ready to take off again, always perform a compass calibration. I think after performing these tasks, you should have a stable pleasurable flight. Remember you should always recalibrate your compass before you fly. Transporting your drone could always shake up the sensitive instruments. The other thing might be affecting the flight could be a lack of satellites. I look forward to seeing seeing if you are successful and your fights become stable and fun.

Happy Safe Flying!

I flew my P3P today in 18 degree weather and it was windy out. We just got slammed by a snow storm. I had perfect stable pictures and videos. I took it up to 150 feet!

Where are you located Bruce? Sounds like my situation. I'm north of Nashville. Just had a snow storm etc...
Again, most/all of this was pre-flight and during the warm up hovering then it settled down. I always calibrate the compass b4 every flight.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453596924.250165.jpg

I am in Delaware! We are getting more snow right now. It was thrilling taking pictures and movies in a world that shut down and was at peace in the white blanket, mother nature gave us. I was a chicken though, with the cold and high winds, I only kept flying for about 10 minutes, all the while hearing my dear wife have a panic attack! I had a smooth landing and I felt like a professional. I inwardly smirked, not letting her see my rare victory smile, for I did not want a battle later!

By the way in cold weather it does take longer for the IMU heater to reach the right temperature, so P3 was performing well. Let me know if you had any success. Great picture!

I`m in north east md , i cant believe you flew today! I could barely stay outside and fight the wind to shovel the drive

Flying has become an addiction! I am really enjoying this hobby! What a rush. Especially successful flights with great areal photography. It is so amazing. It is a shame that due to actions of some, restrictions are slowly being placed on our crafts, and individuals blatant errors in both morals and common sense might force manufactures to place governors on our drones in the future. Yes, it was windy, but I just could not resist the temptation to get some fantastic areal pictures. I hope you and your are making out ok in this mess.

Bruce

Yes, I have flown it in various locations, including the Pocono Mountains, and in Atlantic City over the Ocean. But today was so pretty out, the sky was great and the clouds being fluffy and filled with moisture(Snow), and at a very low altitude made some really incredible stills, and a great Video. I also, for my benefit wanted to see how the P3P handled itself. This drone really has impressed me. Every fight is unique in some way or another. I am ready to purchase a set of colored filters to play with and see what happens. I have always liked photography as a youngster. Now I have a "Grownup Toy", as my wife says, and it is just so relaxing being able to see things I never thought possible, unless I was watching a movie. I also love inventing games and obstacle courses to play with the P3P, as well and run it though its paces. Using Polarized filers dramatically enhance the Photographic experience. Of course the most satisfying thing is bringing the P3P in for a successful landing. What has been a real benefit, is having my neighbors gather and bring their family over to watch this machine in operation and observe wild life and other sites. It is really nice, for I feel that while we gather together to watch, it makes our community tighter, for it makes great conversation and bonding time amongst the neighborhood. Some of them have even gone out and purchased their own drones. It has been very educational. Since the P3P has excellent hover capabilities, it has had a positive outcome, making he youth, along with the adults taking picture with their phones and cameras, and they ask to have the drone in different backgrounds, making for some great pictures that they can print out when the return home, they also love sharing the pictures with their friends.

I apologize for the winded response, but indeed this is one awesome hobby, and the P3P is one awesome piece of technology!

Make sure you do a cold calibration. If you calibrate the IMU when it is warm it will have to wait till the IMU warms to that temp before it's ready to go. In cold weather that could take a long time to do.

Reactions: willybgh
I am in Delaware! We are getting more snow right now. It was thrilling taking pictures and movies in a world that shut down and was at peace in the white blanket, mother nature gave us. I was a chicken though, with the cold and high winds, I only kept flying for about 10 minutes, all the while hearing my dear wife have a panic attack! I had a smooth landing and I felt like a professional. I inwardly smirked, not letting her see my rare victory smile, for I did not want a battle later!

By the way in cold weather it does take longer for the IMU heater to reach the right temperature, so P3 was performing well. Let me know if you had any success. Great picture!
Hey caveman. I'm tony, I live in south jersey. Know of any good flying places around our areas? How much snow did you get? We saw about two feet. Isn't there a nice park off niemans rd neat the college?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl