V2 Gimbal tilt mod for $2.99

Reaction score
I did this mod awhile ago, (V2) and it works great.
The new Firmware allows for progressive gimbal tilt speed, so I used a PS3 joystick pot.

This pot is $2.99 here: http://www.miniinthebox.com/3d-repair-p ... product4-4

Remove the original pot from the controller, and solder 3 wires to go to the new pot. (I used 3 siamesed wires from an old IDE hard drive cable.)
Remove one pot and the pressure switch from the dual joystick pot.
I made a bracket from a tin can, and attached it all to the bottom of the controller.

Video of it working here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JyYDBNXpB4

Attachments

• Pot.jpg
    Pot.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,503
  • Joystick mod.jpg
    Joystick mod.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 1,628
  • Joystick Mod2.jpg
    Joystick Mod2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,618
:D
Great job CapnBob!
I enjoy your input on this forum! Thank you.

MHL

Helidad, thts was done on a V2+. The pot is symmetrical, so as long as you go from the center hole on the board to the center terminal on the pot, it will work. IThe "end" connections are interchangeable. Here are more images to clarify.

The circuit board end

The Pot end.
Notice the extra holes. Mount the pot very close to the tube as shown.
I screwed up originally. I mounted it 1/4" too far to the "right"(in the photo; where the extra hole is) and the housing wouldn't close.
It interfered with the left joystick.

Attachments

• End Board.jpg
    End Board.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,205
  • End Pot..jpg
    End Pot..jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,142
Bouncer said:
And by (V2) you mean the new remote :?:

Rgds,

Bouncer

No, this was done on an "old" P2V+ (V2?) purchased last spring.
The "new remote" has the wheel for gimbal control, and wouldn't need this mod.

CapnBob said:
No, this was done on an "old" P2V+ [...] "new remote" has the wheel ... and wouldn't need this mod.

I imagined this required an extra channel on the remote or something; I will try this mod.

Thanks!

Rgds,

Bouncer

Did the same mod but placed the potentiometer in the front part of the Tx to avoid wires between the two parts.
Placed it in the right hand upper corner so I could use the pot without taking hands off the sticks. I also added a switch with resistors so I could have a super-slow mode as well as normal speed on the tilt. Used old controller for ps3 that I already had laying around.

Attachments

• TX Tilt mod.jpg
    TX Tilt mod.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,114
Nice mod Captain. Effective and cheap.
I ordered mine and it came with the board. I'll do this mod next on my spare controller.

My current is similar to cougars setup, except the switch on the back isn't momentary. Its a 3 position and setup for slow tilt up/downs. I set the speed of the tilt with the 10k pot in front and activate with a switch at the back and moves gracefully up/down.

20150129_142530_resized_1.jpg

20150129_142547_resized_1.jpg

"Mako 79",

I think I like that better. The pot can be fidgety, and a bit hard to control speed smoothly. I think 99% of the time you are looking for the
most pleasing, unhurried speed anyway. I like this because you can find that speed, and it is repeatable.
I may incorporate this into another remote. Thanks!

Mako79 said:
Nice mod Captain. Effective and cheap.
I ordered mine and it came with the board. I'll do this mod next on my spare controller.

My current is similar to cougars setup, except the switch on the back isn't momentary. Its a 3 position and setup for slow tilt up/downs. I set the speed of the tilt with the 10k pot in front and activate with a switch at the back and moves gracefully up/down.

20150129_142530_resized_1.jpg

20150129_142547_resized_1.jpg

CapnBob
I tried your mod but it doesn't work. Hooked up just like the pic you sent me. I did notice that I used a, inner 3D controler analogs 3 pin PS4 pot. Is that my problem? Yours was a PS3. Or is there something I missed.
Thanks in advance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic