Using camera without flying

Reaction score
Can you use the camera without flying? Just hold the P3P in your hands and use it as a kind of steadicam while shooting video?

Sure why not?
As You know, the guys with the Inspire 1 have the keen advantage to remove the camera and use it, off the drone.

RedHotPoker

Sure why not?
As You know, the guys with the Inspire 1 have the keen advantage to remove the camera and use it, off the drone.

RedHotPoker
Thanks. I meant not removing the camera from the P3P but holding the whole thing in my hands and shooting video without starting up the P3P motors. Is that possible?

As I stated above, "Sure, Why Not!"
You will still have to use the camera controls on the Tx though.

But 'defiantly' doable. Hahaha
If I didn't already own a Nikon D800, and Nikor lenses! I may have done the same thing. ;-)

RedHotPoker

As I stated above, "Sure, Why Not!"
You will still have to use the camera controls on the Tx though.

But 'defiantly' doable. Hahaha
If I didn't already own a Nikon D800, and Nikor lenses! I may have done the same thing. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Great. Thanks!

Why not just hover in place and shoot to your hearts content?
You could also jerry rig a tripod holder, and attach the Phantom 3 atop it somehow.
Perhaps with a wee bit of painters tape, or masking tape. Carefully remove it afterwards and use a very little isopropanol on a clean cloth and wipe away any residual sticky matte.
For the Inspire 1 owners, DJI already have released a hand held gimbal affair...
See it here:
http://www.dji.com/product/ronin

Have fun...

RedHotPoker

Can you use the camera without flying? Just hold the P3P in your hands and use it as a kind of steadicam while shooting video?

If you are going to do that, might I recommend that you do one thing, ok well maybe do two things.

For sure - Take the props off
Then depending on if you're moving ro stationary - Put the gimbal lock back on

You need to power up the drone to use the camera, and wouldn't it be ugly if those props started twirling as you were trying to film something?

...additionally, to help steady your shot (if your stationary) since you're just carrying it around, why not lock it in place with the clear plastic lock it shipped with?

Other than that, I'd have to agree with Red, and say...sure! why not?

If you are going to do that, might I recommend that you do one thing, ok well maybe do two things.

For sure - Take the props off
Then depending on if you're moving ro stationary - Put the gimbal lock back on

You need to power up the drone to use the camera, and wouldn't it be ugly if those props started twirling as you were trying to film something?

...additionally, to help steady your shot (if your stationary) since you're just carrying it around, why not lock it in place with the clear plastic lock it shipped with?

Other than that, I'd have to agree with Red, and say...sure! why not?
I agree with all you said except fitting the plastic lock...to get a steady video the gimbal will only work with the lock removed, and the Phantom powered up without props for safety. Motors must not be started.

I agree with all you said except fitting the plastic lock...to get a steady video the gimbal will only work with the lock removed, and the Phantom powered up without props for safety. Motors must not be started.
Thanks, guys. Great advice!

you will look pretty silly though if you wanting to do it quasi professionally

Yeah, that's why I added the "if stationary". I was weighing the value of having it slop around during transport to if you were going to leave it on a table you didn't need the gimbal kinda' thing....

But silly or not, that elephantom thing is a pretty freakin clever idea!

I do it a lot - with the props still on. Given the Jello issues it helps to at least holding it.

I use my Mavic as a stationary camera all the time. No need to remove the propellers or any of that nonsense as long as you don't hit the take off button. The biggest drawback is that it automatically shuts off every 26 minutes due to the software so if you are shooting longer you have to keep restarting it. Used my P3S in the same way.

I didn't see anyone mention this.
The camera will get very hot with no air flow to cool it down (at least on a P3s it will).
Can't say it will cause any damage or not, but there are plenty of posts mentioning keeping a fan on a stationary bird's camera.

The camera will get very hot with no air flow to cool it down (at least on a P3s it will).
Can't say it will cause any damage or not, but there are plenty of posts mentioning keeping a fan on a stationary bird's camera.
Mine does not get very hot. I do make sure it has shade though.

From what I've read and have felt I don' think that's a good idea. The gimble gets hot. It is cooled by air moving over it when you fly. Im a newbie so hope im not giving you bad information.

Agree.
Mine gets hot quickly when not flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic