Upgrade my tablet

Anyone with huawei m3 in android 7?does it work properly, and with wich djigo4 version? Thanks.

So now it's 2018 and my Nvidia (not k1) is showing some age. Broken screen and the fact that neither the K1 or the older vs is even available, I wanted some suggestions on what to upgrade to. My wife wants to get me the Samsung S tab 3 with Lte. Not only is it huge, I would have to place it on a table just to fly, but it is also quite expensive...but something that I would entertain. The reports of DJI's proprietary tablet just doesn't set well with me (not interested) and I'm more entertaining a second Android for the flexibility and side loading APK.'s.

What do you suggest? All feedback is welcome even if it's an Apple!

And.......start. cheers!
I purchased a used Samsung Galaxy Tab A on ebay for $70. 8 inch and works great. The speed of the processor has nothing to do with your flight, you're controlling from the remote. As long as you get good signal your great

Reactions: Richard LaFleche
So now it's 2018 and my Nvidia (not k1) is showing some age. Broken screen and the fact that neither the K1 or the older vs is even available, I wanted some suggestions on what to upgrade to. My wife wants to get me the Samsung S tab 3 with Lte. Not only is it huge, I would have to place it on a table just to fly, but it is also quite expensive...but something that I would entertain. The reports of DJI's proprietary tablet just doesn't set well with me (not interested) and I'm more entertaining a second Android for the flexibility and side loading APK.'s.

And.......start. cheers!
Just upgraded to the iPad Pro 9.7. . It fits Phantom 4 control but it’s a tight fit. Flew out over 2 miles and no green screen This is a great tablet and I am a windows person. Can’t say enough good about it. Little pricy but glad I spent the extra bucks.

Reactions: ravedog
I got an Amazon fire 10" and it doesn't have the Google play store to download it, but their is a tutorial online that shows how to get it in like 5 minutes, and after doing that, the tablet has worked great, and for a 10" screen, it is only 150 compared to and 8" Samsung tablet that is over 200

I had been using an iPad Air 2 to fly for just over a year and it worked very well, except that when it was below freezing, with a bit of wind, it would go dead after about 10 mins and not start up again until it was plugged back into a charger and it warmed up. About 2 months ago, the Amazon Fire 7 was on sale for $50 Cdn. I bought one thinking that I could at least use it to surf the Internet.

As noted in the above message, I found the instructions to set it up to download apps from the Google Play Store and downloaded DJI Go and DJI Go 4. I started off using it to fly very cautiously, but over the past two months have used the Fire 7 tablet for numerous flights with a P4, P4P, Inspire 1, and a Mavic Pro, and it has worked as well as the iPad, with no problems of note. I use Healthy Drones to track my flights and downloaded their App onto the Fire 7 and it syncs the flights through the app no problem.

The screen is sharp, and bright, and I have not had it shut down in the cold like the iPad. I am pretty much at the point where it will be my primary tablet and the iPad the backup. While the screen is a little smaller than the iPad Air 2, it is lighter and seems to be better balanced on the controller of the Phantoms. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well a $50 tablet worked for flying.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Anyone with huawei m3 in android 7?does it work properly, and with wich djigo4 version? Thanks.
Latest version of Go4 and Litchi,
Yes to Nougat which has screen record,
My old Samsung wouldn't update to anything newer than lollipop, which wouldn't allow anything newer than dji go 4 version 4.1.9. to load and open.

And.......start. cheers!

I'll qualify this by saying that, before needing a tablet for these drones, I was NOT an Apple person. That said...

I have an Air 1 16GB and an Air Pro 32GB that both have served me extremely well. That said, I use them for business only, so most of the junk they come with is either uninstalled or turned off. Because I use these for droning and my sound company, they each have roughly 10 apps which I have installed, with 90% of the OEM apps deleted. They're also somewhat hacked to use legacy versions of the software I like. I don't allow the iOS to update. So far, these best practices have served me well. Both are the WiFi (non cell) version, which have been extremely cost-effective to purchase and own. These were ROI'd a long, long time ago, and still work like champs.

If you get one, spring for the Pro WiFi edition. 32GB is more than enough storage space if you're just using them for professional drone work.

Hello All, I am going crazy trying to decide what tablet to get with a new P4A. I was just going to post a question when i saw this thread. Seems like apple is the way to go. Do most of you guys use the tablet solely for drone flying or both flying and everyday use? The newer iPads all seem to be very large, do they even fit into the cradle on the transmitter?

No matter which brand you choose, if you can afford it, I would suggest a tablet to be used solely for flying your drone. I understand that is not an option for everyone though. Perhaps the Apples are capable of multi-use but I don't have one so I don't know.

Hello All, I am going crazy trying to decide what tablet to get with a new P4A. I was just going to post a question when i saw this thread. Seems like apple is the way to go. Do most of you guys use the tablet solely for drone flying or both flying and everyday use? The newer iPads all seem to be very large, do they even fit into the cradle on the transmitter?

I use the iPad for work only, albeit, several work environments. I use them for shooting film (Inspire 1), shooting real estate (Mavic Pro), mapping (P4P), live audio. What I do NOT do, is email, facetime, movies, photos, etc. It's never a good idea to use work TOOLS for playtime, in my humble opinion.

The
HUAWEI MediaPad M3 LTE 64gb is looking really good.

To bad the M5 is not available in the US. If I really want it thought I could buy it from Amazon.it, they will sell it to the US.

Keep the options coming! I love the options!!
I like this pad too, unfortunately, it is Wi-Fi only, No bluetooth.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
I think you're dismissing one VERY important factor: Which platform is best-supported by DJI.

What I have gathered from years of flying DJI products is that DJI highly favors the Apple platform. If you dive in deeper, you will find that 3rd-party apps also favor the Apple platform. This is why I chose iPads. It's hard for DJI or third parties to argue with you when you have purchased the most-recommended platform. While I have experienced some minor glitches with third-party apps, the DJI apps have been rock solid in my Air 1 and Air Pro. As an added bonus, if you do any pro work, the iPads are "rider friendly." Clients will know you didn't scrimp, and will be less-likely to blame you for any issues that may pop up. This is why I also purchase the best MicroSD cards. It's tough for a client to argue with you or blame you when they see that you have clearly purchased the best product money can buy.

D

I have an iPad 9.7 pro 128 with cellular. I do not use the cellular I just have it for the GPS. It has been flawless for the past two years. Still has plenty of power to do video and photo editing with out in the field and when paired to my vehicles Wi-Fi, Live streaming is awesome. it’s also about as big as you’re going to be able to have and still fit it into the factory controller bracket.

I have the identical setup Chopstix. I added the HDMI module to my P4 controller too, which really puts a load on the video. The IPAD Pro still works flawlessly, even while streaming to both the iPad and DJI headset. It may have been a bit more expensive than other solutions, but when you don’t want to mess with technical headaches and want to only spend your money once, it is worth the investment.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
What gets me is people want a $50 tablet solution when they paid $1500 for a drone. It’s like buying a phone for 800$ Plus and then complaining that apps cost a $1. You get what you pay for. Yes, Apple is more money but you know what? They work. And the Apple ecosystem has a hundred to one ratio of NATIVE apps for the iPad. Why? That’s where a lot of devs go first.

Another bonus feature: you can take your iPad into any Apple store and get help. Even after warranty. Try that with an android unit.

Get out of your (I’ll never touch an Apple product thinking) head and realize that you might end up happier and have a product that will be less headache and last longer and be more reliable in the long run.

Plus as mentioned DJI has a strong dev team for iOS.

You may think you’ll only use it to fly, but you’ll find that the app ecosystem will allow you to take your photo and video skills a lot further.

What gets me is people want a $50 tablet solution when they paid $1500 for a drone. It’s like buying a phone for 800$ Plus and then complaining that apps cost a $1. You get what you pay for. Yes, Apple is more money but you know what? They work. And the Apple ecosystem has a hundred to one ratio of NATIVE apps for the iPad. Why? That’s where a lot of devs go first.

Another bonus feature: you can take your iPad into any Apple store and get help. Even after warranty. Try that with an android unit.

Get out of your (I’ll never touch an Apple product thinking) head and realize that you might end up happier and have a product that will be less headache and last longer and be more reliable in the long run.

Plus as mentioned DJI has a strong dev team for iOS.

You may think you’ll only use it to fly, but you’ll find that the app ecosystem will allow you to take your photo and video skills a lot further.

A-freakin'-men. Nicely put.

I think you're dismissing one VERY important factor: Which platform is best-supported by DJI.

What I have gathered from years of flying DJI products is that DJI highly favors the Apple platform. If you dive in deeper, you will find that 3rd-party apps also favor the Apple platform.
Although this is often repeated in forums, I can't see any evidence to support it.
If DJI favours Apple so highly, what operating system are they using for the P4 pro+?
Both Apple and Android are fine but if you try to run the Go app on a substandard device (Apple or Android) it's going to be disappointing.
Run it on a tablet that's up to the task and it's fine, whatever operating system is used.

I fly a P3P. About a year ago, I purchased the nvidia shield K1 from Amazon for $199. At first I had some go4 app crashes. Not a major is issue, just annoying. Some where along the way, the app stopped crashing, possibly due to one of the app updates. Now all firmware and app are the latest versions. No problems with crashes. All works great together.

Just curious, if DJI is so big on ios, why does crystal sky use android as its base? Food for thought. Thanks for listening.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT