Unusual lines in the video… Need some input

Reaction score
Hi gang – I have recently started filming video with my phantom (I have been shooting still pictures for the last eight months).
I have filmed 30 or so short videos. Yesterday I was flying over the ocean filming the surf, when I started seeing some intermittent horizontal lines appearing faintly across the screen, almost like venetian blinds. It only lasted for a couple of seconds and then they went away and did not return. They were not only on the screen, but they were also on the video itself. I am shooting 2K/30 fpm. Any ideas what could be causing this? I was not using ND filters… Should I have been?

A sample clip from the video would help but from what you describe it could be nothing more than the sun getting caught up in the props. You could try an ND filter or lens hood.

With there be a prop shadows even though I don't have a camera pointed up the extra 30°?

With there be a prop shadows even though I don't have a camera pointed up the extra 30°?
Yup. If the AC leans forward your camera will remain level, however, now the props are over-shadowing the lens. Here again, if can you post 30 seconds of the video, someone can give you a more definitive answer

definitely sounds like prop shadow but a video would helps us know for sure.

Here's an example of prop shadows:

If that's what you were seeing, here are a few ways to prevent that from occurring when shooting video:
  • Position your Phantom with the sun to its back
  • Don't fly during the day when the sun is directly above your Phantom
  • Use an ND filter to allow the shutter speed to be slowed down (you can find a list of commonly used ND filters here)

Reactions: blade strike
Here's an example of prop shadows:

If that's what you were seeing, here are a few ways to prevent that from occurring when shooting video:
  • Position your Phantom with the sun to its back
  • Don't fly during the day when the sun is directly above your Phantom
  • Use an ND filter to allow the shutter speed to be slowed down (you can find a list of commonly used ND filters here)

How does slowing the shutter speed down reduce the possibility of prop shadows? ( BTW, I just received a set of polarpro filters 4,8,16).

How does slowing the shutter speed down reduce the possibility of prop shadows?
I don't know the science behind it, but it has been proven to work many times.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Slowing down shutter will not completely remove the prop shadow problem but it will not show up as likely as lines. More likely subtle...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl