Oscillating bands on horizontal lines in video

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a newbie at shooting video with the P4P. I am using 30 fps and 1/60 shutter speed. I get these oscillating bands running through horizontal objects like power lines, etc. Also some flickering in distant objects or when something in the foreground is interacting with something the background. Are there any settings on the camera that is causing this or is this a function of video rendering on the computer I using? I am shooting in H.264 and .mov. Any pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Got some sample video so we can see what you're describing?

I noticed this recently when the drone transitioned through an arc where it was pointing towards the sun. I assumed it was some sort of interaction between sunlight and the front props - they weren't in shot but I'm guessing they confused the AE.

It seems that once I ran the video through my machine with a much better video processor, the problem has all but disappeared. Not being the most knowledgeable about processing video, I am thinking that it is the way the files are being rendered that is causing the problem. I am using a VLC media player and it works much better than Windows Media player. My computer has an Nvidia G-Force 460 and iCore 5 with 16 GB RAM.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am a newbie at shooting video with the P4P. I am using 30 fps and 1/60 shutter speed. I get these oscillating bands running through horizontal objects like power lines, etc. Also some flickering in distant objects or when something in the foreground is interacting with something the background. Are there any settings on the camera that is causing this or is this a function of video rendering on the computer I using? I am shooting in H.264 and .mov. Any pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks all
Are you seeing this in the SD card video? Or, are you referring to your iPad/Android tablet cached video?

What resolution are you shooting, 1080 or 3840?

Sounds like you may be seeing an effect called moire, which can be mitigated with reducing the sharping in the camera settings to -2. This setting also mitigates seeing artifacts in water scenes and some tree or bush scenes

This kinda shows the moire effect in the right example of the same shot.

upload_2017-11-30_21-34-26.png

Interesting, Yes I believe that is what I am seeing. I am shooting at 4K and 30 fps and they are the files on the SD card copied down to my desktop computer. Any suggestions on a free video editor ? I see a few out there. I dont recall seeing a setting for sharpness in the P4P camera

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4