**** Unforgiving Sport

smaugnaut said:
WyattEarp said:
I made another big mistake today. I failed to account for wind at altitude and ran out of battery 100 ft in the air. Note: When the app says 0% battery the Phantom shuts off and falls like a rock. NO MARGIN.

Anyway the gimbal and camera flew off. I have a cracked shell - not too bad. Gimbal is bent but the ribbon is intake - small miracle. However, the cable from the camera/gimbal to the phantom needs replacing as well as the compass cable. Does anyone know where I can get these?

The bent gimbal is probably fixable - I know there is a thread on that. Also one of the motor arms is bent up - hope to fix that with a heat gun. I would like to replace the cables and check out the camera and gimbal before I consider the question of quitting the sport or forking out another $1300 for a new Phantom.

Pictures to follow.

Disheartened

Thats nice to know because i landed with 3% the other day on a distance flight! LAnding was rough. Also, for anyone out there that is willing to listen, The Phantom does not perform as well under 20% battery. When descending fast it can become like a lead weight! You can correct it with throttle but it will not hold alt. This is my experience and other than when its under 20% it flies so beautifully!
I also noticed that in dropped the last 10% very quickly seemed much faster than expected.

Butcher's Bill:

One damaged motor arm - New shell - $60
One destroyed camera/gimbal cable - $30
One destroyed compass cable and connection - New circuit board - $60+
One bent gimbal of questionable viability - $0-$679

Learning the hard way the "1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule" - PRICELESS

p.s. the 1/3 rule is from boating: Use 1/3 of your fuel going out, 1/3 coming back, and 1/3 for emergencies!

We should call this the "Kramer Principle". Remember on Seinfeld when Kramer pushed the car past "E" to see how far it would go? Well, the Kramer Principle for the Phantom is 0% means 0%.

Catalina36 said:
We should call this the "Kramer Principle". Remember on Seinfeld when Kramer pushed the car past "E" to see how far it would go? Well, the Kramer Principle for the Phantom is 0% means 0%.

:lol:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk[/youtube]

"0% really is 0%."

"I was hoping for an extra 2%-3%."

LoL. Dude. C'mon man. I'm not the most experienced flyer here, but I don't even let my cell phone get down to 0%. And my car's low fuel warning light has never come on. Gotta keep something in the tank, just in case. Especially when you have a 1500 dollar piece of equipment riding on it. =D

Also... my drone was stuck in a tree earlier today. So do what I do... keep plenty of battery on board in case you run into a tree and need it to record for a while. :lol:

Was this zero on right of app or zero on the top bar? Assuming you have latest firmware.

WyattEarp said:
Catalina36 said:
How did you manage to fly it to 0% battery? At 15% it initiates auto land to prevent something like this from happening.
It was returning home too much altitude

Not recommended.. Maybe next time, try CSC and then CSC immediately again. Free fall to save battery. The phantom, even upside down is able to correct itself if give enough altitude.
I haven't tried it because I wouldn't put myself in this scenario.

Also, when autolanding has started, you need to push throttle all the way up to keep it hovering. The Phantom will always override and force itself to land on low battery. This is why its very difficult to catch land with autoland on.

WyattEarp said:
Butcher's Bill:

One damaged motor arm - New shell - $60
One destroyed camera/gimbal cable - $30
One destroyed compass cable and connection - New circuit board - $60+
One bent gimbal of questionable viability - $0-$679

Learning the hard way the "1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule" - PRICELESS

p.s. the 1/3 rule is from boating: Use 1/3 of your fuel going out, 1/3 coming back, and 1/3 for emergencies!

So for $150 you can fix it.
Only your camera needs to be bent back.
Please gif your bird a second chance :mrgreen:

Seriously - has anyone ever tried CSC, free fall, CSC, and had their Phantom live to tell the tale? Free fall is about 10m/second per second. In two seconds, that can be 30 meters. Then there's startup, righting itself (the Phantom tends to free fall upside down), and then slowing down. If you figure 10 seconds, we're talking about 10+20+30+40+50+60 +70+80+90+100 = 550 meters! Roughly! Yikes!

Skyjunkie said:
Seriously - has anyone ever tried CSC, free fall, CSC, and had their Phantom live to tell the tale? Free fall is about 10m/second per second. In two seconds, that can be 30 meters. Then there's startup, righting itself (the Phantom tends to free fall upside down), and then slowing down. If you figure 10 seconds, we're talking about 10+20+30+40+50+60 +70+80+90+100 = 550 meters! Roughly! Yikes!

The little kid in me wants to buy an original Phantom 1 and give it a try....

Skyjunkie said:

That's why I say immediately, and I don't recommend it unless you have close to zero batteries and 5 pairs of undies. To be honest, I don't think the props fire up after the 2nd stage battery warning. I can't remember. I know that you cant take off when 2nd stage battery warning is on.

"After 5 seconds your speed is about 160 feet per second due to gravity speed = gt = 32 x 5 = 160 You travel a distance in 5 seconds of 1/2gt^2 = 400 feet. After that it depends on weight but due to air resistance speed is constant near 160 feet per second so to go next 800 feet takes about 5 seconds. Total time = 10 seconds to free fall 1200 feet. If there were no air, it would take take only about 8.5 seconds"

SpikeFinch said:
"Unforgiving Sport" Really? :eek:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNa5dcLccS4[/youtube]

Holy cow.... I know nothing about sky diving/base jumping etc but was this even high enough to allow time for chute to open? The guy looked nervous as hell before jumping, seemed like an amateur... Crazy!

Skyjunkie said:

There are a few videos on YT, they call it 'CSC-ing'. They fly their Phantoms at fairly high altitude, perform a CSC, it goes into free fall and then they start it up again hoping it won't hit the ground.... Crazy

Skyjunkie said:

The idiot in me wants to give this a shot. The grown up, mature, fiscally sound individual in me wonders what the Freak the question is...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers