Uh Oh........Im getting def. less range than the mavic pro.

Reaction score
7 flights all to the same places and the P4P has less range than the Mavic. The 5.8 ghz makes for a better transmission signal for Video it seems but the distance has been reduced compared to the Mavic. Now maybe on a desert in Africa with no interference they would be closer but it seems the mavic Pro is dealing with interference a lot better than the P4P. Others whom have both can comment but my data isn't lying......

Reactions: tml4191
Can you describe your environment you're flying in? Having you tried selecting a custom channel by checking the channel traffic? After a custom channel is selected, you can select a low bitrate "transmission quality", such as 4mbps, which helps to get a longer range. If GO4 is similar, you should be able to access these settings through the HD icon.

been there done that........Same conditions regardless of wifi or electrical interference. The mavic is getting 20% longer range. And its the transmission signal and video signal getting compromised. Something in the Mavics signal is more robust it seems.

been there done that........Same conditions regardless of wifi or electrical interference. The mavic is getting 20% longer range. And its the transmission signal and video signal getting compromised. Something in the Mavics signal is more robust it seems.
What distances are you getting? 5000'? 10,000'? Is this over an industrial area, residential, hills, over ocean? Got a photo clip while flying?

Was it 2 miles, 3 etc? You're really not giving us much to go on. Can you link or post a video to show us the conditions in which you're flying & screen shots of your phone/tablet that shows the distances?

S5 tap'n

1 mile. Didn't save any footage. All I can say is that the transmission broke down flying the P4P sooner than it did the mavic. I have a test run that is pretty accurate. The mavic went to 6000 feet and I still had 4 bars. The P4P went to 5075 feet and lost it all quickly. Multiple runs to re assure myself.Like I said, its better than the P4 but not as good as the mavic. I'm sure others with both will chime in.

Again, it was over a suburban area but my point is the Mavics transmission holds up better and stronger int he SAME conditions. Multiple runs confirm this.
I'm sure this P4P can go a couple of miles in an uncongested area but my test was a little surprising esp. since DJI is claiming the same distance for both. Not in my book.

thanks for sharing... got a good laugh when you said, "Maybe on a desert in Africa with no interference."

Well who else is waiting for this to be boosted/maxxuav'd out?

tried auto and manual. Looks like its defaulting to 5.8ghz when it gets further away......Odd as tech support said that the 2.4ghz was better for distance. Even odder is that 5.8ghz has 30 channels as opposed to the 7 or so for 2.4ghz. Either way the Mavics transmission (for me) is a stronger link. Wondering what they did for one and not for the other?

tried auto and manual. Looks like its defaulting to 5.8ghz when it gets further away......Odd as tech support said that the 2.4ghz was better for distance. Even odder is that 5.8ghz has 30 channels as opposed to the 7 or so for 2.4ghz. Either way the Mavics transmission (for me) is a stronger link. Wondering what they did for one and not for the other?

Mavic uses OcuSync and Phantom 4 Pro uses Lightbridge. My understanding is they are completely different technologies.

tried auto and manual. Looks like its defaulting to 5.8ghz when it gets further away......Odd as tech support said that the 2.4ghz was better for distance.
It is, assuming you have a clear channel to work with. Did you try manually locking the P4P to 2.4 ghz?

yes although its supposed to default to the best channel/ freq. id like to know what they did to the mavics signal to make it stronger. Looks like the Inspire 2 has the same 2.4/ 5.8 as the P4P. That mavic occusync has some black magic in it.

Yes John, A few friends confirmed my initial thoughts. Nowhere near the performance level as the mavic. 5.8ghz is not meant for distance, its meant for hi bandwidth within 300M. Confirmed that with the DJI rep. Think wifi in your home. 2.4ghz goes further. Why DJI would choose to put a lesser quality trans. signal in the P series and now the Inspire series is beyond me. My guess is that they were concentrating on quality of transmission signal geared towards filming which takes place within 300 meters 95% of the time. But make no mistake, this range is 100% less than the Mavic for sure. As it should be, DJI touted that new Occusync as a major improvement and rightfully so. Lastly, the Mavic will lose signal slowly dropping bars one at a time. The P4P is a "now you have it, now you don't" scenario. Not sure I'm keeping my P4P due to the much less than described range. Sure if your on a beach or desert you might get more but the point is that the occusync was able to cut through interference that the 2.4/ 5.8 cant do nearly as well..........Major disappointment as the camera and new H.265 codec is amazing on this new camera. id be more P.Oed if I just spent 3k on the new Inspire with this 5.8mhz nonsense.

Me too, poor range performance compared with p3p, p4 and mavic pro.
I hope dji will fix it in near future

^ Not sure it can be "fixed" 2.4 and 5.8 are what they are. You now have 30 channels on 5.8ghz and even the best channels fall short of the mavic as you noticed too. maybe the Occusync was more expensive and they had to offset the camera? Who knows.

^ Not sure it can be "fixed" 2.4 and 5.8 are what they are. You now have 30 channels on 5.8ghz and even the best channels fall short of the mavic as you noticed too. maybe the Occusync was more expensive and they had to offset the camera? Who knows.

But the P3P doesn't have occusyc and it still has great range. I have gotten 5.5km stock. How would you explain that.

Reactions: audis200
I've done 18,000' with my P3P using Windsurfer. It's beyond explanation why DJI keeps detuning their controllers when we all know what they are capable of. It kinda feels like a communist plot to keep people under control. Oh....yeah.....It's China! [emoji12]

So disappointing. I'll have to hope P5 will use OCU-sync.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltire

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic