Pulled the trigger on new Mavic 2 Pro

But the Mavic 2 pro has made me question what DJI are up to considering in 9/10 scenarios the MP2 is better for its price point. Why would anyone buy a P4 Pro now, let alone a P4Pro V2
I don’t understand your line of thought here. Do you mean that DJI should never release something better than the P4 Pro because... the P4 Pro is the final product of everything? :p

I don’t understand your line of thought here. Do you mean that DJI should never release something better than the P4 Pro because... the P4 Pro is the final product of everything? :p

What about the Inspire or Matrice series?

Anyway, what I mean is every company releases product lines with price points and features designed to make people weigh their options and make decisions.
DJI just released a product with features and a price that near enough wipes the Phantom line out of existence. They barely released the P4 Pro V 2 and are now releasing a Mavic 2 which is cheaper to buy, has a near identically spec'd camera, cheaper batteries, more built in 'AI', longer flight time and better portability.

How is that a good business decision?
Not like DJI need try make good decisions... They have a pretty impressive monopoly.

What about the Inspire or Matrice series?

Anyway, what I mean is every company releases product lines with price points and features designed to make people weigh their options and make decisions.
DJI just released a product with features and a price that near enough wipes the Phantom line out of existence. They barely released the P4 Pro V 2 and are now releasing a Mavic 2 which is cheaper to buy, has a near identically spec'd camera, cheaper batteries, more built in 'AI', longer flight time and better portability.

How is that a good business decision?
Not like DJI need try make good decisions... They have a pretty impressive monopoly.
I think you might have an underlying assumption they have thousands of P4P v2 in stock that they want to get rid of. This is most likely not true. More likely, they had thousands of units half a year ago which is why they released the P4P v2 in the first place. Just like they did with the Mavic Pro Platinum etc. Now those ’old’ units are almost gone. And enter the Mavic 2. Now the P4P owners want the Mav 2 instead which is better. In other wording, DJI have stimulated demand yet again.

How is this not good business politics?

Yeh that may be true regarding the V2, good point.

For the sake of argument though assuming all that exists is a low tier Mavic, medium tier Phantom and high tier Inspire, It not standard practice to make a low tier product phase out your mid range, it rarely happens. I suppose I'm assuming they need to behave like a normal company though, which they don't considering their hold on the market.

I personally can't see a reason to upgrade, the mechanical shutter with the P4 is still a win for me and I don't need my hand holding to make a hyperlapse or a HDR photo. If I was making a decision to buy from new though right now, it'd be a hard decision.

Yeh that may be true regarding the V2, good point.

For the sake of argument though assuming all that exists is a low tier Mavic, medium tier Phantom and high tier Inspire, It not standard practice to make a low tier product phase out your mid range, it rarely happens. I suppose I'm assuming they need to behave like a normal company though, which they don't considering their hols on the market.

I personally can't see a reason to upgrade, the mechanical shutter with the P4 is still a win for me and I don't need my hand holding to make a hyperlapse or a HDR photo. If I was making a decision to buy from new though right now, it'd be a hard decision.
I think the new Mavic 2 seems remarkable and I would buy it without hesitation if I didn’t already own a P4P.

I have had long debates with myself about whether or not to get the M2P (the Zoom version intrigues me as well) but have decided to hold off. What if, by gods great mercy, there is a P5 in the making, with 1 inch sensor AND built-in zoom? At least we know they are working with interchangeable lenses.
For all we can assume these lenses will also be ”Hasselblad quality”, whatever that really means.
It is not far fetched to believe those lenses will provide better quality than the cramped lens on the new Mavic 2, although great for what it is.

So if I get the Mav2 I will regret it when the P5 comes out.

Although the Mavic 2 has both portability, stealth and image quality speaking for it right now, it is important to remember what lies ahead. And if image quality is paramount and an Inspire is not an option, the future P5 is the drone to get. For professional work. For private use I would settle with a Mavic 2 and enjoy the superior portability!

Stay strong, wait! Haha. Without doubt I'm holding out for the P5 (please make it exist..) I don't know what i'd appreciate more, a zoom feature or replaceable lenses.
The zoom feature of the M2 is brilliant, to be able to grab a 48mm shot at the touch of a button is nice feature... It's just a shame the aperture is not adjustable.

I think having the smaller package required of a folding drone is a major differentiator. After using my Mavic Air, I sold my P4P. The Mavic Pro 2, with the improved camera and smaller size would also be an attractive option to the P4P. I sometimes wonder if the P5 will actually be introduced or, if it will, will it also be a folding design. If you wanted more capability in a non-folding drone, I would think the Inspire is your choice.

Reactions: ravedog
IMG_7058.jpg
IMG_7059.jpg
IMG_7061.jpg
IMG_7062.jpg

Excited....

Nice.

What joy do you get from the Goggles btw? I've always assumed it was like an iPad screen but with the rest of the world blanked out.

Obviously you won't be interested in doing this right away, but you should do a side by side d-cinelike photo comparison with the Phantom :p it'll make a lot of us happy haha

I bought the new Mavic 2 Pro this morning (with fly more kit and care refresh). Got the Hasselblad version. It “seems” as though the camera system is as good or better than my P4P In a much smaller form factor, so why not.

Oh and I’ve been drinking. Heavily.

View attachment 102643
LOL - that's why I have not had a drink since release! I have a P4P+ and Mav1. Agree, both are going but BEFORE I buy the M2. If I don't, I won't. Too many drones, some got to go! Keep us posted!

Reactions: ravedog
Nice.

What joy do you get from the Goggles btw? I've always assumed it was like an iPad screen but with the rest of the world blanked out.

Obviously you won't be interested in doing this right away, but you should do a side by side d-cinelike photo comparison with the Phantom :p it'll make a lot of us happy haha
I don't have the DJI goggles but I've used Litchi with my phone in a headset. Completely worth it if you like to just fly sometimes rather than taking pics and vids.

Reactions: DKG13CC
What joy do you get from the Goggles btw? I've always assumed it was like an iPad screen but with the rest of the world blanked out

For the user in the goggles, the sensors and readouts are much more intuitive in the googles in my opinion. Using the vps reading to gauge my height off a given deck, and all my OA readings more bright than in GO4, I can quite well navigate an industrial roof with multiple ACs, large L shaped ducts, and moving obstacles. For pure flying enjoyment, a tap and a swipe will bring you to full screen mode (no hud), then set the gimbal to FPV instead of follow and its like riding in a helicopter [emoji4].

Reactions: The Roach

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers