Tutorial For Futaba 14SG and DJI Phantom 2

ladykate said:
markab said:
Thanks for this guide very helpful,

For transmitter fail safe is it correct to leave all channels in hold with only the mode select channel U set to P2 fail safe value or should the other channels fail safe at neutral rather than hold?
Yes, that works on the 14sg and the 8fghs

Noticed the 14SG locked up a couple of times around the model select copy screen, a google search shows it is not uncommon, anyone else come across this? just wondering if I should return for another unit?

Thanks

I got mine to lock up but I blamed that on not being familiar with everything. It resets easily.

I think I worked out the problem with the 14SG, I didn't charge the battery when I took it out of the box (as you do with new stuff) and it got pretty low with all the playing I, I think the low voltage is probably causing the read and write to internal memory a few issues (if you know much about eeprom it normally needs a solid voltage to work or it gets flaky). So I will try again after charging.

bla, battery charge didn't work, completely stuck models, and freezing in model selection going to send it back think it is just a bad unit.

Hi ianwood,

I am going to mount my R7003 receiver in the P2's Battery compartment like you did.
Do I need a an actual longer S.Bus cable for this or would a regular longer servo cable work?

thanks
tony…...

Re: Tutorial For 14SG and DJI Phantom 2

BrandonBallard said:
Part 2 - The Transmitter Setup

Prerequisites:
1. You've completed "Part 1 - The Physical Installation" of this tutorial.
2. You have the Phantom 2 Assistant Software installed and working.
3. You have an SD card on hand (SD: 32MB-2GB or SDHC 4GB-32GB).
4. You have a Microsoft Windows PC with a Card Reader.

If you don't have DJI's Phantom 2 Assistant Software installed you can download it and other Phantom 2 related software below...

http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Downloading The Files
Download my preconfigured 14SG Profile by clicking the link below, it includes a copy of Futaba's File System Utility, it is all in a ".zip" file you will need to extract.

Click Here For Phantom 2 14SG Profile!

File Contents:
Futaba File System Utility.exe
Instructions (FFSU).pdf
PHANTOM 2 File

Step 2 - Formatting The SD Card
WARNING: Only use an SD Card that DOES NOT have important data on it, when you insert this card into the 14SG it will format the card and erase EVERYTHING.

1. Insert the SD card into the SD card slot of the T14SG.
2. Turn on the T14SG power. When an unformatted card is inserted, the "This Card Has Not Been Initialized" screen will appear.
3. If the T14SG is ready to format, move the cursor to [FORMAT] and touch the RTN button.
4. Move the cursor to [YES] and touch the RTN button.
Formatting starts. During formatting, the [NOW FORMATTING...] message is displayed.
When formatting is completed, the [FORMAT COMPLETED] message is displayed. Depending on the card capacity and speed, formatting may take as long as several minutes.
[IMPORTANT] Do not turn off the power until the [FORMAT COMPLETED] message is displayed.

5. End formatting by touching the RTN button.
6. Turn off the T14SG power.
7. Remove the SD card.

Step 3 - Importing The Profile
1. Insert the SD card into your computer.
2. Execute the "Futaba File System Utility.exe" located in the .zip file you downloaded and extracted in Step 1.
3. Go to "File" and then "Mount", and select the SD card, and then click "OK".
4. Click (Highlight) the lowest number on the list that is not greyed out.
5. Go to "Edit" and then "Import", and select the "PHANTOM 2" file located in the .zip you downloaded and extracted in Step 1.
6. You should now see on the number you chose the "PHANTOM 2" profile!
7. Go to "File", click "Unmount", and then click "OK", and close the program.
8. Remove your SD card from the computer.

Step 4 - Installing The Profile
1. Insert the SD card into the SD card slot of the T14SG.
2. Turn on the T14SG power.
3. Double tap "LNK" on the touch sensor to get to the "LINKAGE MENU"
4. Scroll to "MODEL SEL." and and touch the RTN button.
5. Scroll to "TX" on the left and change it to "CARD" and and touch the RTN button.
6. Scroll to "PHANTOM 2" on the right and touch the RTN button.
7. Scroll to "COPY" on the right and touch the RTN button.
8. Your screen should look like the image below...
14SG_Card_TX.jpg

9. Scroll to "COPY", and touch the RTN button, and then hold the RTN button for 1 second.
10. Turn off the T14SG power.
11. Remove the SD card.

Step 5 - Command Stick Calibration
1. Connect the Phantom 2 to your computer with the Micro USB cable.
2. Turn on the Phantom 2.
3. Turn on the T14SG power.
4. Open the Phantom 2 Assistant Software
5. Go to the "Basic" page and change the Elevator and Throttle channels from "NORM" to "REV".
6. Start a "Command Stick Calibration" by clicking the "START" button in it's section.
7. Move all of the sticks throughout their complete range several times.
8. Click the "FINISH" button when you finished the above procedure.
9. When you release the sticks they should all return to 0 or be very near 0.

Step 6 - X1 Calibration
1. Start a "X1 Calibration" by clicking the "START" button in the X1 Calibration section.
2. Move the left bottom "LS" Slide Lever up and down maxing out it's range several times.
3. Click the "FINISH" button when you finished the above procedure.

Step 7 - Confirming The Controls
1. Go to the "View" page in the Phantom 2 Assistant Software.
2. Confirm that the "SA" switch (IOC) throws the "X2" channel to the +783 (Up), 0 (Middle), and -784 (Down) values.
3. Confirm that the "SD" switch (CMS) throws the "U" channel to the -783 (Up), 0 (Middle), and +784 (Down) values.
4. Confirm that the "LS" Slide Lever (Gimbal) throws the "X1" channel to the -1000 (Up), and +1000 (Down) values.

Congratulations, We're Done!

Your Controls Are...

SA = Intelligent Orientation Control
SB = Control Mode Switch
SE = Timer (Up Is Start, Middle Is Stop, Down Is Reset)
SF = Limits The Rudder Control To 50% Speed (For Slow Pans)
SH = Momentary Failsafe Switch (This Will Throw You Into Failsafe Regardless of Mode)
LS = Gimbal Tilt (Left Bottom Slide Lever)

Basically I've tried to make the T14SG as similar to the original transmitter's switches as possible (referring to the "SA" and "SD" switches).

Note: Because the T14SG does not have a self centering throttle like the original DJI transmitter I have set a throttle curve in the profile to create a sort of "dead zone" in the middle. I have flown it for a week and I'm already used to it.

You say: basically I've tried to make the T14SG as similar to the original transmitter's switches as possible (referring to the "SA" and "SD" switches). But I don't see a mention of what the SD channel controls in your setup.

Sledge:
SD switch in this configuration changes from GPS to ATTI to Failsafe (i.e. emulates the S1 Switch on the stock transmitter)
When using Assistant:
In NAZA-M Mode, the switch alters "U" and changes from -783 (GPS ATTI) in upper position to 0 (ATTI) in middle position, to 784 in (Failsafe) in lowest position in NAZA-M Mode
In Phantom2 Mode, the switch does Normal Fly / Normal Fly / Failsafe (in lowest position)

I have bound the 14SG to the stock Phantom 2 Rx. Everything looks fine in terms of switches, stick ranges, etc. I have set both Throttle and Elevator to Reverse but CSC would not activate in any possible combinations. Ranges on my sticks shows -1000 to 1000. Any ideas?

sfu said:
I have bound the 14SG to the stock Phantom 2 Rx. Everything looks fine in terms of switches, stick ranges, etc. I have set both Throttle and Elevator to Reverse but CSC would not activate in any possible combinations. Ranges on my sticks shows -1000 to 1000. Any ideas?

I had the same problem initially. Switches must all be in upper position to start with CSC especially the tall one on top left of Tx (SF). If that one was down CSC wouldn't work

Also according to another thread, may need to wait for warmup and satellite acquisition. I have to say when bench testing the CSC I didn't do this part intentionally and I was indoors with <5 satellites available anyway; CSC still worked as long as SF was in upper position. The minute it was switched down, CSC would not work despite warmup.

Have there been any reported flyaways with this setup? (New TX & RX rather than binding to the P2 etc)

Thanks for the tutorial! Exactly what i need as i am planning to get a 14sg.

One question though... I learnt that the futaba 14sg could learn and communicate with the stock reciever in the phantom 2. What is the benefit in putting the futaba reciever alongside the phantom 2 stock reciever?

Thanks in advance!

John

I seem to recall seeing somewhere the procedure to bind the 14SG with the stock Phantom 2 receiver and now I can't seem to find it after searching 100+ pages. Does anyone here recall seeing it and if so, what thread?

Thanks!

lgeist said:
I seem to recall seeing somewhere the procedure to bind the 14SG with the stock Phantom 2 receiver and now I can't seem to find it after searching 100+ pages. Does anyone here recall seeing it and if so, what thread?

Thanks!

This is how I bind mine.

1. Set the 14SG to FASST multi
2. Power on the P2 and press the 'bind' button on the bottom of the P2. The 'bind' led on the P2 turns green on a successful bind.

sfu said:
lgeist said:

Thanks!

This is how I bind mine.

1. Set the 14SG to FASST multi
2. Power on the P2 and press the 'bind' button on the bottom of the P2. The 'bind' led on the P2 turns green on a successful bind.

Thanks SFU, exactly what I was looking for! I wasn't aware of the FASST Multi step :)

BrandonBallard said:

Download my preconfigured 14SG Profile by clicking the link below, it includes a copy of Futaba's File System Utility, it is all in a ".zip" file you will need to extract.

File Contents:
Instructions (FFSU).pdf
PHANTOM 2 File

Brandon when I clink the link for your profile I get a site not found is this the correct Url ?

http://bcsonline.co/personal/phantom2/1 ... ntom_2.zip

Regards
Martin

MStacey said:
BrandonBallard said:

File Contents:
Instructions (FFSU).pdf
PHANTOM 2 File

Brandon when I clink the link for your profile I get a site not found is this the correct Url ?

http://bcsonline.co/personal/phantom2/1 ... ntom_2.zip

Regards
Martin

The link seems to work fine for me. Even the one you listed. Maybe the site was down temporarily.

Hi everyone, I've been so busy with my job the last few months I haven't really been able to check up on this thread since. My website was down for migration a couple of days ago. I double checked my link and it does indeed work, so it SHOULD work for you now. :)

Also, I can say that after months of flying I still use the same profile setup I have on this tutorial. I have flown the Phantom 2 with the 14SG and the R7008SB in the middle of town (with encouragement from my Mayor) with high amounts of potential interference and it triggered failsafe on it's own and returned home safely on 2 different occasions. My furthest range so far is 1,118 meters in the country and I turned around on that one because my FPV was getting hazy.

On the two occasions it did trip the failsafe it was in between 500 and 600 meters away and there was a lot of potential interference nearby.

I intend to upload a video one day of my adventures if anyone is interested in seeing the Phantom working with this setup. I've herded cattle, flown in 18+ mph winds, and been attacked by bees so far! :lol:

Thanks Guys,
Brandon

Hi Brandon

I'm having some issues loading your file following your instructions. When I try and write the Phantom 2 profile to a 16GB card I formatted in my 14SG it loads but does not show up saying Phantom 2 under Model Type. I have attached a pic, any ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG1941.jpg
    IMAG1941.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 912
JoeLawry said:
Hi Brandon

I'm having some issues loading your file following your instructions. When I try and write the Phantom 2 profile to a 16GB card I formatted in my 14SG it loads but does not show up saying Phantom 2 under Model Type. I have attached a pic, any ideas?

Cheers

Use a 2 gig card. After you load card, you should see the profile on it. Copy to your 14sg.

Went out and borrowed an old a 2GB card today... my 14SG does not register the card when I insert it. Annoying.

JoeLawry said:
Went out and borrowed an old a 2GB card today... my 14SG does not register the card when I insert it. Annoying.

I have one or two that it doesn't recognize. Try another! My best luck has been with microSD using the adapter (no failure to recognize so far). Fortunately, 2 gig versions of those are easier to find.

Sure would be nice if they made a terminal program that allowed the profile to be uploaded/downloaded directly from your PC (or MAC or Linux). It isn't star wars - used to do it with PIC chips back in the day.

Quick question about model binding if anyone knows the answer...

I have the 14SG, a Phantom and a F550, both have 7008SB receivers, I linked one rx to my Phantom model memory and the other rx to the F550 model memory, however it does not matter which model is selected the tx will control both.

When I check in the link->system menu for both models they each have a different rx serial number, I thought selecting the F550 model should only control the F550 rx and selecting the Phantom model should only control the Phantom.

Can someone let me know which is right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik