Trying out the camera setting for night shots

Reaction score
I have received my Part 107 and decided to try some night flights. I played around with the settings to the point where I was starting to get the "streaming tail lights" effects I was looking for. Not enough traffic for what I wanted, but I did manage to get a good shot or two, and posting some fails just to show my range of setting changes.
5-11-2017 X.JPG
5-11-2017 XX.JPG
5-11-2017 XXX.JPG
5-11-2017 XXXX.JPG
5-11-2017 XXXXx.JPG
5-11-2017 XXXXxx.JPG
5-11-2017 (4) Too far.JPG
Thought I would share and see what the real photographers say about it. If you open the aperture too far, you get light you don't want. Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed...seems simple, but there are unlimited variations.
I am a novice, but I am starting to "get" it.

Reactions: omid B
Since you mentioned Part 107, normally only twilight flight is allowed, 30min before sunrise and 30 after sunset. Did you get an FAA waiver to fly at night in this area? If yes, how long did that take? I'm curious because I'm thinking of taking some night photos during a fall trip I have planned.

I have received my Part 107 and decided to try some night flights. I played around with the settings to the point where I was starting to get the "streaming tail lights" effects I was looking for. Not enough traffic for what I wanted, but I did manage to get a good shot or two, and posting some fails just to show my range of setting changes.View attachment 82136 View attachment 82137 View attachment 82138 View attachment 82139 View attachment 82140 View attachment 82141 View attachment 82142 Thought I would share and see what the real photographers say about it. If you open the aperture too far, you get light you don't want. Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed...seems simple, but there are unlimited variations.
I am a novice, but I am starting to "get" it.
You have confused me with the statement," I have received my Part 107 and decided to try some night flights". Part 107 does not allow for night flights with-out an FAA waiver. Were you able to obtain one, or are you flying under Part 101?

You have confused me with the statement," I have received my Part 107 and decided to try some night flights". Part 107 does not allow for night flights with-out an FAA waiver. Were you able to obtain one, or are you flying under Part 101?
When I applied for my waiver, I explained how I would be using my UAV for my business. Of course I listed a need for relief on every rule allowed. As I have contracted to record Soccer games in the area, at night. I asked to be allowed to fly at night and over the field. When I have a game to record, of course I can't wait 6 to 9 weeks for permission to do so. I simply call the local FSDO office, about 50 miles away, and submit a "plan". If I don't hear back, I'm good to go. On nights I have games, I use a little time for me.

When I applied for my waiver, I explained how I would be using my UAV for my business. Of course I listed a need for relief on every rule allowed. As I have contracted to record Soccer games in the area, at night. I asked to be allowed to fly at night and over the field. When I have a game to record, of course I can't wait 6 to 9 weeks for permission to do so. I simply call the local FSDO office, about 50 miles away, and submit a "plan". If I don't hear back, I'm good to go. On nights I have games, I use a little time for me.
I hope you don't get yourself in trouble. You seem to be making up the rules as you go.
"When I have a game to record, of course I can't wait 6 to 9 weeks for permission to do so.
I submit a "plan". If I don't hear back, I'm good to go".
Really?

Reactions: John Locke
I hope you don't get yourself in trouble. You seem to be making up the rules as you go.
"When I have a game to record, of course I can't wait 6 to 9 weeks for permission to do so.
I submit a "plan". If I don't hear back, I'm good to go".
Really?
Absolutely. What, do you think I got a wavier for each and every job? No, I got a wavier to do the job I do. Now, were I to contract to do something else, say like fly at or around other aircraft or an airfield I would need another wavier for that. Each application for wavier is considered by the FAA individually. My wavier covers the rules I need to do the projects that contract for. We have a soccer field that is close to 3 different hospitals, life flights from all. I could not do the night job, because the FSDO denied my "plan". It took about 20 minutes to find this out, not weeks.
I appreciate your concern, but I have this down. The only rules I have a wavier on is "night flight", and "flying over crowds"; and I submit a "plan" each time I do so, with location, and time span.

OK, you applied for a waiver, but it sounds like you never got approval. There's an online process for this, is that how you applied? The lack of a phone call from the local FSDO doesn't make it OK. I'm sure the FSDO didn't tell you "if we don't call you back, you're OK to fly". Can you share with us where you learned this kind of approval process?

Reactions: Crack The Sky
OK, you applied for a waiver, but it sounds like you never got approval. There's an online process for this, is that how you applied? The lack of a phone call from the local FSDO doesn't make it OK. I'm sure the FSDO didn't tell you "if we don't call you back, you're OK to fly". Can you share with us where you learned this kind of approval process?
My question too, John.

My question too, John.
OK, you applied for a waiver, but it sounds like you never got approval. There's an online process for this, is that how you applied? The lack of a phone call from the local FSDO doesn't make it OK. I'm sure the FSDO didn't tell you "if we don't call you back, you're OK to fly". Can you share with us where you learned this kind of approval process?[/QUOT
I have a wavier that allows me to record games, over the field, at night. On the nights that I intend to use my wavier, I call the FSDO and submit the time and location that I will be using my wavier. If the plan is ok, no problem. If not, I can not fly at that time or location...whichever they say. It is as simple as that. The FSDO office in Houston knows who I am and sends me info all the time. I am sure you are wrong in your surety that I have not been told that I am good to go if I am not notified in time for my event.
I don't know how it works where you are, but this is how it works here.

Has anyone else applied for a wavier for after dark, or over people here? I would assume anyone that has gotten one could explain it better....I guess.
Someone else must do work that requires flight at night or over otherwise prohibited areas.....
My wavier is good for 3 years.

Has anyone else applied for a wavier for after dark, or over people here? I would assume anyone that has gotten one could explain it better....I guess.
Someone else must do work that requires flight at night or over otherwise prohibited areas.....
My wavier is good for 3 years.
That's interesting. 3 waivers? You're revealing new things I didn't expect from the FAA. My 107 certification is only good for 2yrs.

Last edited:
Here is the basic wording of my wavier: Hope it helps

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION CERTIFICATE OF WAIVER OR AUTHORIZATION

ISSUED TO

UAVs & More, LLC Responsible Person: Don Holmes Waiver Number: 107W-2016-******

ADDRESS – 2582 N. 11th St. Beaumont, Tx 77703

This certificate is issued for the operations specifically described hereinafter. No person shall conduct any operation pursuant to the authority of this certificate except in accordance with the standard and special provisions contained in this certificate, and such other requirements of the Federal Aviation Regulations not specifically waived by this certificate.

OPERATIONS AUTHORIZED

LIST OF WAIVED REGULATIONS BY SECTION AND TITLE 14 CFR § 107.29

Daylight operation/Night Flights

Night time small unmanned aircraft system (sUAS) operations.

14 CFR § 107.29, Daylight operation, is waived to allow sUAS operations during night.

Common Provisions. The Responsible Person is directly responsible for safety of operations conducted under this Waiver and will ensure the remote Pilot in Command (PIC), manipulator of the controls, and Visual Observer (VO) complies with all provisions of this Waiver.
This Certificate of Waiver is effective from January 30, 2017 to January 31, 2020 and is subject to cancellation at any time upon notice by the Administrator or an authorized representative.

There is more, but this is the basic wavier, cut and pasted...

Thanks for sharing that. How long did it you to take to get this 3yr waiver from the FAA? I'm hearing 45 days or more. Did you use the online system?

Thanks for sharing that. How long did it you to take to get this 3yr waiver from the FAA? I'm hearing 45 days or more. Did you use the online system?
As I remember, it took about 3 weeks, and yes, I applied online.

Hahaaaaa going back to your original post before we got caught up in words and rules, I think your photos look great buddy! And thanks for all the other good info as well! I'm sure there are several people on here that learned a few things on this post :)

Reactions: Don Holmes
Hahaaaaa going back to your original post before we got caught up in words and rules, I think your photos look great buddy! And thanks for all the other good info as well! I'm sure there are several people on here that learned a few things on this post :)
Thanks, for that. The photos are progressively higher numbers on Aperture, lower numbers on shutter speed, and I adjusted ISO until I had enough light. As is shown, the more Aperture, the more "side" light you get, thus the drone LEDs start showing up. I am trying to get to where I can do those "City Scape" photos, where everything is in proper color and focus, but the moving lights are stretched out in one continuous stream of colored light.

This thread has been great. Don the pictures are cool and I appreciate the aperture help as I am trying this as well. The FAA waiver thing was great learning as well. Keep up the good work Don.

Great photos! Turn off the red lights on the front legs of the aircraft and you'll get rid of that red glow.

Reactions: Tigerbait

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers