Trouble Flying with Modern Android Phones (OnePlus 5, Google Pixel 2)

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had trouble flying with a OnePlus 5 and Pixel 2. On both of these phones, I have two problems:

1. I can connect to my Phantom Standard's wifi and receive a video image from the drone, but the image is extremely choppy and only updates every 3-5 seconds.

2. When I get further than a few feet, the drone disconnects from the phone (although I can still control it from the controller).

I am able to fly the drone with a perfect video feedback from my iPad Air 2 and a OnePlus 3T.

Has anyone else had issues with newer Android phones that sound like this?

Thanks!

Thing is, if you're going to use the AC with a mobile device which isn't on the approved list, there's going to be the potential for problems. The iPad is on the list, so it's all good with that, and it seems you got lucky with the OnePlus 3T. That's great. The other two aren't working for you. But that's the luck of the draw. Try an Android that's on the approved list.

Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

Thing is, if you're going to use the AC with a mobile device which isn't on the approved list, there's going to be the potential for problems. The iPad is on the list, so it's all good with that, and it seems you got lucky with the OnePlus 3T. That's great. The other two aren't working for you. But that's the luck of the draw. Try an Android that's on the approved list.

Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI
Unfortunately that list is WAY out of date.
I've flown with heaps of Androids that aren't listed with no probs

Reactions: Neon Euc
I don't think the list is supposed to include every Android that is compatible. I think that would be something close to impossible. I think the list is supposed to include Androids that are known to be compatible. That means if you have an Android that isn't on the list, it may be compatible and it may not be compatible.

I don't think the list is supposed to include every Android that is compatible. I think that would be something close to impossible. I think the list is supposed to include Androids that are known to be compatible. That means if you have an Android that isn't on the list, it may be compatible and it may not be compatible.

So why waste the time making a list in the first place if it isn't kept updated?

I have to agree, that list is basically worthless. I've tried 8 different tablets, and they've all given me different results and issues. It's been a frustrating experience that casts a shadow on a nice flying bird.

I have to agree, that list is basically worthless. I've tried 8 different tablets, and they've all given me different results and issues. It's been a frustrating experience that casts a shadow on a nice flying bird.
Is there anything you've tried that helps the issues? Or do you know if iPhones always tend to work? Any processors in the Android world that tend to always work?

Is there anything you've tried that helps the issues? Or do you know if iPhones always tend to work? Any processors in the Android world that tend to always work?

On the Android tablets I would set them up exclusively for flying. I disabled every app possible, had auto updates disabled, airplane mode on, etc. I would force stop and clear the cache after every flight. The one that worked the best, gave me the smoothest fpv experience, was also the one with the lowest specs. Unfortunately it liked to randomly disconnect several times per flight. The others either had very laggy fpv, or would start ok and then progressively get worse.

I finally settled on the new 2017 Ipad. The FPV is ok, the app has never crashed, and I like the iOS version of the app better. I have no experience with the iphones.

I've never had a problem with any Android device bit I'm running the GO App not the GO4.
The GO 4 seems to be a problem no matter what you use.
I don't disable anything but do fly in airplane mode.
I dedicate one tablet to flying only and don't connect to the web with it.

I've never had a problem with any Android device bit I'm running the GO App not the GO4.
The GO 4 seems to be a problem no matter what you use.
I don't disable anything but do fly in airplane mode.
I dedicate one tablet to flying only and don't connect to the web with it.

What Android devices have you used? I will admit that all the ones I've tried have been lower spec inexpensive ones.

I started with my iPhone and iPad with no issues but a couple of weeks ago I thought I would try something in between the size of the iPhone and iPad. I had a ZTE Zmax Pro Android phone laying around which has a 6” screen and I thought I would give it a try. While not as quick as the iPhone loading the GO App or Litchi, it runs them both fine with no issues. I now use this for all my flights. The only problem with the phone is I believe you can only use it on MetroPCS, unless you can unlock it. Not sure.

I flight my standard with a ZTE K88 tablet... A basically unknown tablet but it's very powerful and I fly without issues.

I always fly with unknown phones and no problems. What I learnt is if your flying using android then makes sure it has 2GB of ram (not to be confused with 2GB of memory) and its at least 1.3GHz on power. With that as a minimum for Android specs you will fly no problems. Even litchi runs Facebook live streaming smoothly on them specs

I always fly with unknown phones and no problems. What I learnt is if your flying using android then makes sure it has 2GB of ram (not to be confused with 2GB of memory) and its at least 1.3GHz on power. With that as a minimum for Android specs you will fly no problems. Even litchi runs Facebook live streaming smoothly on them specs

The androids I've used have had extremely good specs. The OnePlus 5 and Pixel 2 both have the most powerful processors available, and have 8 and 4 GB of RAM, respectively. Specs are not the issue. I also tried flying with my friend's Galaxy S8+, which worked a little better but still was very choppy. Has anyone flown successfully with an S8 or other flagship Android from the past year?

Thanks!

Reactions: Neon Euc
I had problems with an LG G5 and a Lenovo tablet. Different issues at different times with each but the DJIGo app would sporadically crash on both (usually at the worst time). Talking to DJI support will do no good. They are quick to point out that if the phone or tablet is not on the approved list, they are not willing to help at all. I ended up changing to an iPhone 7, not for my drone but other reasons, and the iPhone app works flawlessly. I don't know anything about coding but I have heard on several occasions from others that DJI's Android app is written very poorly and compatibly could be improved if the app was written better. Take that with a grain of salt but it seems very obvious that even with the right hardware on the Android side, compatibility is not a sure thing.

I had problems with an LG G5 and a Lenovo tablet. Different issues at different times with each but the DJIGo app would sporadically crash on both (usually at the worst time). Talking to DJI support will do no good. They are quick to point out that if the phone or tablet is not on the approved list, they are not willing to help at all. I ended up changing to an iPhone 7, not for my drone but other reasons, and the iPhone app works flawlessly. I don't know anything about coding but I have heard on several occasions from others that DJI's Android app is written very poorly and compatibly could be improved if the app was written better. Take that with a grain of salt but it seems very obvious that even with the right hardware on the Android side, compatibility is not a sure thing.
That could be true, I have an unknown tablet running extremely well DJI go app... Never crashed on me... I use a ZTE K88 tablet.

The thing I found with Android devices is, if they're underpowered and have limited free memory, you could experience a number of issues when running the DJI Go app. My previous Android LG phone had a dual core processor with 2Gb of free memory. It would often freeze up, crash, and overheat when running the app. I upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and those problems disappeared.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
As I understand it .... its easy for DJI to check out IOS units as basically Apple do not allow 3rd party messing with OS.
Same cannot be said for Android where Google allow anyone and their dog to customise Android OS to their units as long as base kernel meets original specs. This means that we find various Android devices have problems with various apk's ... and cables don't match etc. etc. It would be impossible for such as DJI to test all and sundry for compatibility.

The list was obviously drawn up some time ago and to be honest now is an indicator of what to use but is outdated.

We also have a new problem appeared ... the change of many phones / tablets to USB mini C connector ... so hang onto your phones new cable - because the old one aint gonna fit no-more !!

It all reminds me of the Video days !! VHS vs Beta .... and also the 9 pin Serial days ....

One day - companys will realise that maintaining a single standard may actually be commercially successful instead of trying to lock you into proprietary items.

Nigel

As I understand it .... its easy for DJI to check out IOS units as basically Apple do not allow 3rd party messing with OS.
Same cannot be said for Android where Google allow anyone and their dog to customise Android OS to their units as long as base kernel meets original specs. This means that we find various Android devices have problems with various apk's ... and cables don't match etc. etc. It would be impossible for such as DJI to test all and sundry for compatibility.

The list was obviously drawn up some time ago and to be honest now is an indicator of what to use but is outdated.

We also have a new problem appeared ... the change of many phones / tablets to USB mini C connector ... so hang onto your phones new cable - because the old one aint gonna fit no-more !!

It all reminds me of the Video days !! VHS vs Beta .... and also the 9 pin Serial days ....

One day - companys will realise that maintaining a single standard may actually be commercially successful instead of trying to lock you into proprietary items.

Nigel

Yup, and Beta was actually superior quality to VHS. Sony made the mistake of refusing to license it out whereas JVC's VHS standard was easily farmed out to anybody who wanted to build VHS machines and camcorders. The consumer version of Beta died, however, the professional version became the industry standard for television production.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31