Trackimo Performance

Reaction score
Hi All,

I own a Trackimo 3G for Phantom 4 Pro.

I have been looking at the information provided to me on both the iOS and Android applications. The app does seem to provide approximate location--I think GSM based. Even though I have a clear view of the sky, I am unable to obtain the latitude/longitude of the location. I have reviewed the manual but do not see how to force this information to display. Can anyone tell me how to force latitude and longitude to display?

Since I am unable to obtain latitude and longitude I have the suspicion that the GPS receiver is not functioning. Does anyone know how to confirm that the Trackimo GPS receiver is functioning?

Cheers,

Donald Barar

Having an issue with my 2G version. Free tracking for a year but nothing showing up at all. I haven't topped it up with credit but surly I don't need to. If the chip is activated it should still give out a signal

Neon Euc

Is the unit brand new? An initial non-assisted GPS fix can take 5-10 minutes for a complete cold start, or if your location has changed dramatically.

As an aside, I think there are just too many inherent issues with GPS/cellular trackers for drone applications. If you are within range of a cellular system, and if it is compatible, and if you can register, and if the drone doesn't come to rest under tree cover or another obstruction (that prevents GPS reception), then you will get a location. This is why I went with the Marco Polo which just... works. It's not quite as convenient as a GPS/cellular tracker system (when a GPS/cellular tracker works that is), but it's hard for me to imagine that I would lose the drone and not have at least a general idea of where it is within a few miles, and under those conditions the Marco Polo is quite reliable. Also days of battery life, vs. hours.

I'm sure that you will get it to work eventually, but consider that a tracker needs to work all of the time, everywhere, not most of the time, in most places.

Last edited:
Hi Smiller,

I purchased the Trackimo in January. I have had it out in under a clear sky for hours. Yet, it still fails to report latitude and longitude. So I am attempting to determine if the GPS receiver is working or do I only have GSM which does me no good when there is no cell service.

You correctly pointed out that the duration of the battery for the Trackimo probably will only last 24 hours at one location report per minute. But that is OK if I have latitude and longitude of the last location before the battery died. This way I can use any GPS device to find the Phantom should it inadvertently fly off.

I have tried to get this information from Trackimo. But Trackimo support may even be worse than DJI as they can not answer the questions that I have asked.

Can anyone in this group help me answer these questions:
  • How can I determine if the GPS receiver is functioning on my Trackimo?
  • If the GPS receiver is functioning, how can I get the Trackimo app (iOS or Android) to report latitude and longitude?
Sincerely,

Donald Barar

Yes, sorry, it was not my intention to hijack your thread.

If the app is indicating a cellular-derived approximate location then it seems that you are able to communicate with the device, and if so I would expect it to present the most accurate location it had available (meaning GPS, if it had a fix.) Assuming that you have the reporting interval set properly then lack of an accurate GPS location does seem to represent a problem. Trackimo has a one-year warranty so if you are unable to get a useful answer from customer service you could try having the unit replaced under warranty.

Hi Smiller,

No apologies required. From the manual it appears that latitude and longitude are to be displayed below the GSM results. All I have are the GSM results. Since the latitude and longitude are not being displayed I think I have a problem with the GPS receiver on this device.

My goal with this post is to see the experience of others before I shipped it off to Trackimo and ask them to repair.

Cheers,

Donald Barar

For everyones information. I logged into the Trackimo on my laptop. Here I was able to see latitude and longitude of the device. So it appears as though the GPS receiver is working. However, I really want the mobile applications to display latitude and longitude.

Does anyone know how to get the the mobile applications to display latitude and longitude?

Donald Barar

For everyones information. I logged into the Trackimo on my laptop. Here I was able to see latitude and longitude of the device. So it appears as though the GPS receiver is working. However, I really want the mobile applications to display latitude and longitude.

Does anyone know how to get the the mobile applications to display latitude and longitude?

Donald Barar
Try this version on your phone

Wireless Tracking Ltd - Fleet Management Solution - 5.7

Neon Euc

Hi Neon,

Not certain why you sent me the URL for this App. Can it be used in conjunction with Trackimo?

Donald Barar
Yes, it opens up the tracking page and from there you will get all the info you need

Neon Euc

Having an issue with my 2G version. Free tracking for a year but nothing showing up at all. I haven't topped it up with credit but surly I don't need to. If the chip is activated it should still give out a signal

Neon Euc

Only email alerts are free.

Yes, it opens up the tracking page and from there you will get all the info you need

Neon Euc

Seriously !?? The developer can't even spell correctly! Embarrassing

cf82bc60e41d523a3b58179b359020fe.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc
For all that have been following this thread let me close the loop.

It turns out that my Trackimo is working correctly. However, latitude and longitude can only be obtained from the web version of the software. Neither the iOS or Android apps will display latitude and longitude. How hard would it have been for the Trackimo developers to have included this functionality in the mobile application? This is important to those of us operating outside of cellular service areas and want to track our drones in the ever they fly away. With latitude and longitude of last location (after the battery died in the Trackimo) any GPS device could be used to locate the drone.

I am so disappointed in this product. The hardware does not seem all that robust. And, the mobile application is handicapped.

Hopefully when Ping is released this summer it will be better product.

Donald Barar

Last edited:
I had no idea Trackimo was so inadequate. Of all the pilots in this forum using it I've never heard this kind of report before. Others rave about Trackimo 2G. I wonder if this poor app support is only on the 3G device.

Seriously !?? The developer can't even spell correctly! Embarrassing

If thats a problem...Best not look too closely at any of the DJI software either so...

'dji the future of possible' What ? Lol?

If thats a problem...Best not look too closely at any of the DJI software either so...

'dji the future of possible' What ? Lol?

At least it's spelt correctly and they are Chinese !! Better excuse than American or English speaking

Neither the iOS or Android apps will display latitude and longitude. How hard would it have been for the Trackimo developers to have included this functionality in the mobile application?

Donald,

This is for the Trackimo Android app on Droid Turbo 2 w/ Android v7.0

1). In Trackimo tap on the marker showing your last location. A large pop-up shows the address, time and date.

2). Now look at the tiny icons that show up in the lower right corner. Select the Google Maps icon. It takes you to Google Maps.

3). In Google Maps tap on your "Name" provided by Trackimo at bottom. Now you will see the Geographic Coordinates (Latitude / Longitude) and have the option to measure distance from that point.

Hope this helps.

Donald,

This is for the Trackimo Android app on Droid Turbo 2 w/ Android v7.0

1). In Trackimo tap on the marker showing your last location. A large pop-up shows the address, time and date.

2). Now look at the tiny icons that show up in the lower right corner. Select the Google Maps icon. It takes you to Google Maps.

3). In Google Maps tap on your "Name" provided by Trackimo at bottom. Now you will see the Geographic Coordinates (Latitude / Longitude) and have the option to measure distance from that point.

Hope this helps.
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your suggestion. Just tested it. That does work for the Android application. Unfortunately, there is no similar functionality for the iOS version of the Trackimo app.

But what are we really getting by going to Google maps. Are these the native GPS coordinates from Trackimo? Or, are we getting the GPS coordinates based on the address of the location. Guess, I will need to take this out into the field where there are no addresses.

Donald Barar

Last edited:
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your suggestion. Just tested it. That does work for the Android application. Unfortunately, there is no similar functionality for the iOS version of the Trackimo app.

But what are we really getting by going to Google maps. Are these the native GPS coordinates from Trackimo? Or, are we getting the GPS coordinates based on the address of the location. Guess, I will need to take this out into the field where there are no addresses.

Donald Barar
Don,

I believe it is displaying the GPS coordinates from the Trackimo, and the address looked up by Google Amps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl