Tower said no more recreational flights within 5 miles

Reaction score
I fly in class C airspace often. Call the same tower every time. Probably close to 50 times. Today I was within 4 miles of the airport so I called the tower and they told me that they received a memo from the FAA yesterday that no recreational flights within 5 miles won't be permitted any more. When he first told me this I told him that I wasn't flying commercially, because I wasn't, he said that is for recreational flights. The part 107 process with the waiver didn't change just recreational flights within the 5 mile radius. Did I miss something? Was this every announced? If true this is horrible news. Huge blow to the drone community if so. smh

Unless there's a NOTAM or a TFR for your area, I call bull****.

That's exactly what it was. There is a TFR at that airport the ends tomorrow. The tower didn't word it like that. They worded it as permanent thing. I guess a politician is coming to town.

Reactions: CThruU
That's exactly what it was. There is a TFR at that airport the ends tomorrow. The tower didn't word it like that. They worded it as permanent thing. I guess a politician is coming to town.

Glad to hear it's temporary, neighbor. Airport east or west of you?

Reactions: 304HighDrone
Has the tower approved your flying with the TFR being lifted?

I know LA becomes a disaster on the freeways when the VIP shows up and they shut down the freeways and maybe Hollywood and Sunset Blvd. to get them to a TV show or some $35,000 dinner. They could pack them into an unmarked van, but they make such a huge production out of it and stop maybe 10,000 cars on the 405 from moving for hours and trying to detour them all onto narrow surface streets built in the 1930's and maybe 1.5 cars in width. Ridiculous.

Hey neighbor! The airport was towards my west.

I'm to your east. Haven't flown in 4 weeks due to travel. I'll try to hit up the Yeager tower next week to see what I get. They've been great the few times I've had to contact them. Like you said, probably temporary.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31