Scottsdale AZ Airport Relaxed Regulations

Reaction score
I had a very friendly and informative phone call yesterday with the FAA supervisor at the Scottsdale airport tower. There is a Scottsdale regulation that relaxes the no-fly zone from 5 miles to 2 miles. However, in my discussion with the FAA supervisor he advised me that the airport is still claiming the air space above 150 feet in the 2 to 5 mile radius. I live 4 miles due west of the airport and he somewhat relented and told me I could fly up to 200 feet at my location. Inside of 2 miles is a definite no fly zone. He advised me that the minimum altitude for helicopters in the 5 mile area around the airport is 500 feet. His experience is that often helicopter instrumentation is not accurate and the pilot might think he is at 500 feet and yet he is actually at 350. He also told me the FAA expects to have a phone app available in 2 months or so that will make it easier to notify the tower when you are flying a drone in the area. He said that as it is now a request to fly goes to Washington DC and "MAY" be approved after 3 days or so. The airport is accommodating to drone operators that have a specific need to fly within the 2 mile radius. He cited an instance where someone need aerial photos of the Scottsdale TPC golf course that is just off the north end of the runways. The drone pilot was able to schedule a time, talk to the tower for clearance and advise the tower when the drone was back on the ground. I hope you find this informative

Good for you, 150-200' altitude is good enough for flying for fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj