Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

My as new Phantom 3 Pro lays unused and little airtime - for some if not all the problems you wrote of above....
Being a Pom in Australia sometimes adds a downside - from the witless aviation law self proclaimed experts after reading one totally uneducated new report or seen on TV - in their attutude to what I was doing. These days I build quads with no camera's and fly them where there are no people.
But I can see why we have problems. About 3 weeks back...its Sunday Morning and a loud knock on the door - Police I thought!! - I opened the door to find a young girl about 7 or 8 yrs old who blurted out - "can you go into your back garden and see if you can find a drone....." I looked across the road a car parked but nobody inside. I asked is your mum or dad with you? Yes they are going asking at all the houses. She found no drone. Later the dad arrived and told me he had just got this little drone for him and the kids to play with. Seem he took it up higher than the signal strength could cope with and he lost it. From where he said his house was, it must have flown at least 300 metres before landing/crashing - as it was found later in the garden of the house opposite us. I just ponder the "wot ifs" What if it had landed on a kid playing or an animal or gone through a window or...or.... as it was, they got their drone back and are presumably flying with little regard to any aviation regulations or concern for other peoples safety...

Let me start by saying I completely sympathize with where you want to fly, and think the current FAA rules are too restrictive.

That said, you are wrong that it is within rules/guidelines to fly over houses in an urban neighborhood. This is clearly prohibited in the rules. As is flying over streets with cars driving on them (don't know if you take care to only fly over streets that have only parked cars).

Also, you are required to stay a minimum of 400' away from people, unless you have given prior notice of operations and the people that will be impacted have given their consent to be within 400' of the flying sUAV.

There are other rules/guidelines you are not following.

However, the ultimate point here is what the actual consequence of violating these rules "on the edges" so to speak. So long as you're careful to fly a course that, should you have a catastrophic mechanical failure, the risk of injury to a bystander or damage to private property is non-existent, you're probably not going to get in any more trouble than a citation and a small fine -- at the worst. Police departments do not have the resources to bother harassing drone pilots over technical violations any more than they do people driving cars.

Fly stupid -- filming a 4th of July parade, flying over people, vehicles, etc. -- there's a real risk of winding up in jail, even if nothing goes wrong.

The best way to minimize risk of getting on the wrong side of the law is to always be thinking about your aircraft having a sudden catastrophic failure and dropping out of the sky like a rock -- what's down below you, and what might happen. If the answer is only "destruction of drone", you're probably okay. If the answer includes damaging anyone's property, you're taking quite a risk. If it includes possibly injuring someone, you're a complete idiot.
I agree with you except for the 400'. it is 30 metres where i live. I think he is really against the rules flying from his patio though. Thats a no no. landing in the street as well is not right.

Joe - that is excellent!!! I think I might plagiarize your document and develop a similar one with regards to 107 operations. Many thanks for posting that!!!
Flyboyj,
I'm being lazy, but if you do a 107 version, would you mind posting a Word version here? Many of us could use this in our arsenal.

I hear ya, kinda crazed guy it sounds like. But hey, if you are flying at night you ARE not following FAA rules. Just saying.
True. You are not allowed to fly at night. strictly not allowed. Even for us licensed pilots, we are not allowed.

Flyboyj,
I'm being lazy, but if you do a 107 version, would you mind posting a Word version here? Many of us could use this in our arsenal.

Here ya go - plagiarize as much as you want and tailor it to your needs.

Attachments

• Drone Front Page.pdf
    162.2 KB · Views: 362
I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment.

Man i feel for you real hard.
I live in rural Western North Carolina and people here HATE drones.
The only responses i get are people threatening me or my drone with violence. People are so uneducated and make huge assumptions that are entirely incorrect.
It's sad.
I am going to try that reflective Vest trick others mentioned since i actually have a spare blaze orange vest.

Well, hiring out "The Mountain" from Game Of Thrones would probably fix that. Now being an old curmudgeon myself, North Carolina is an "Open Carry State"...

I was flying my drone from a beautiful spot on one of Utah's most beautiful and scenic drives in the state.
During one of my flights some "dude" had parked his truck on the other side. When I turned to see the guy, I waved and said hello. He got back into his truck, maybe 10 minutes later and gave me the finger as he drove away ! I just laughed at his senseless "hand signal" and returned to flying my P4Pro +.
Earlier I met a young man and his wife. He was just bringing in his Phantom 3 Advanced. We had a very nice conversation, while telling him about our site and that he would appreciate the various forums. What's a fellow to do with the jerks who make asses of themselves. I just try to be polite or I throw water balloons at them! I made that part up.

I was flying my drone from a beautiful spot on one of Utah's most beautiful and scenic drives in the state.
During one of my flights some "dude" had parked his truck on the other side. When I turned to see the guy, I waved and said hello. He got back into his truck, maybe 10 minutes later and gave me the finger as he drove away ! I just laughed at his senseless "hand signal" and returned to flying my P4Pro +.
Earlier I met a young man and his wife. He was just bringing in his Phantom 3 Advanced. We had a very nice conversation, while telling him about our site and that he would appreciate the various forums. What's a fellow to do with the jerks who make asses of themselves. I just try to be polite or I throw water balloons at them! I made that part up.
I don't understand why there are people who give the middle finger for nothing... They are just stupid or idiots.

True. You are not allowed to fly at night. strictly not allowed. Even for us licensed pilots, we are not allowed.
In the U.S. you are as long as you get a waiver. I know several people who have with no problem.

In the U.S. you are as long as you get a waiver. I know several people who have with no problem.

If it's strictly for business or government purposes and you have a 107 license, I see getting the waiver with no problems.

If it's strictly for business or government purposes and you have a 107 license, I see getting the waiver with no problems.

You do have to be Part 107 certified and flying under Part 107, but there is no constraint on the purpose of the flight to fly under Part 107.

Isn't it funny how comfortable people are flipping other people off WHILE THEY ARE DRIVING AWAY!

I'm being harassed by a neighbor that I've tried to avoid. She screamed at my family a few weeks back that I was violating her rights and to keep my drones away from her property. Rather than have a problem I've done just that. I've avoided her property. Saturday night however I was flying my Mavic pro and as I was landing above my own property they fired a bunch of fireworks at my drone in attempt to take it out

I'm being harassed by a neighbor that I've tried to avoid. She screamed at my family a few weeks back that I was violating her rights and to keep my drones away from her property. Rather than have a problem I've done just that. I've avoided her property. Saturday night however I was flying my Mavic pro and as I was landing above my own property they fired a bunch of fireworks at my drone in attempt to take it out
You know that you can call the cops and your neighbors can have problems because they were trying to take your drone down in your own property.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl