This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I always turn my amps on first, you think that's burning them up sometimes? I don't like to turn my controller on without the amps because I don't want damage the controller. Do you think maybe turn the controller on and then very quickly turn the amps on to let that spike get introduced painlessly Mark?

DB - we talked about this a week or two ago. I think it was this thread...

The spike comes from the controller and goes to the amp. If the amp is off, the power gets absorbed by the amp even though it's off. That's the theory anyway as somebody explained to me in another thread.

The amp's power-up spike goes harmlessly into the antenna.

If the amp is on, it can only safely accept a certain range of power, and the controller is in that range. So the potential problem is only in that initial power-up spike.

I'm not saying this is a hard fact, this is just how I understand it.

But this is kinda interesting because I have to wonder if a 1 watt amp is more sensitive and more prone to burn out than a 2 watt amp. Not many pilots use 1 watt amps.

Yep, I remembered that after I push send on that last response. I went back and read it it was #209 or so. So I think the easy way to avoid any damage to the amp(because I have also had a couple go out on me for no reason) is to have everything plugged in ready to go, but turn on your controller first and then the time it takes you to reach your booster battery and flip it on, the spike is already been made, and you flipped your boosters on quick enough that no damage is done to the controller. So this is the method I'm gonna try out for the next few power ups[emoji41]

The way I do it, right or wrong, is I turn on the controller first, then turn on the amps. And yes, I do it quick. I mean, theoretically there won't be a problem but why press our luck? :sunglasses:

Reactions: dirtybum
You guys think this going to work?... waiting on rest of parts to finish...lol you want to test it DB when it's done?

Attachments

• 1461445848286.jpg
    1461445848286.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 1461445868227.jpg
    1461445868227.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 385
You guys think this going to work?... waiting on rest of parts to finish...lol you want to test it DB when it's done?
**** Pro, I think I just blushed a little![emoji41]
Sure, you give it a spin for a little bit let us know what you think then I'd be glad to do some numbers with it

Thanks..I've been reading a lot about building helicals and really wanted to try using the antenna calculator.....waiting on the pcb boards and sma's...I'm making a few so I'll send you one to test when there done

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks..I've been reading a lot about building helicals and really wanted to try using the antenna calculator.....waiting on the pcb boards and sma's...I'm making a few so I'll send you one to test when there done

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
DOPE!!

Back in the early P2V days, you know we'd mod the Wi-Fi module with one half spear and one Cloverleaf. That was great for those who just fly around, but it didn't take long before I was just going straight out so I switched to two halfspheres and it made a world of difference.
My "terminator"should be here any day, I mentioned it in post# 312 or so,
I should be one of the first Americans to receive one because I ordered one the second I heard about it ,yes, it's going to be badass and if it's not then at least we tried it!
This is what it looks like firsthandView attachment 51567
That looks amazing! You did that??? Is that a 5.8ghz then?

Hey thanks..yes 5.8ghz.. I really wanted something like the super cannon DB is using

Back in the early P2V days, you know we'd mod the Wi-Fi module with one half spear and one Cloverleaf. That was great for those who just fly around, but it didn't take long before I was just going straight out so I switched to two halfspheres and it made a world of difference.
My "terminator"should be here any day, I mentioned it in post# 312 or so,
I should be one of the first Americans to receive one because I ordered one the second I heard about it ,yes, it's going to be badass and if it's not then at least we tried it!
This is what it looks like firsthandView attachment 51567
That thing looks badass, anxious to see some results!!!

Update**
It was too windy for any decent test/flights this weekend. Wind and rain the next 3 days here. BOOOO!
How bout y'all , been flyin?

Update**
It was too windy for any decent test/flights this weekend. Wind and rain the next 3 days here. BOOOO!
I've been having wire issues, antenna 2.4ghz connector came disconnected from the pin. My 5.8ghz pigtail connector was loose. I think I got them fixed! it was so nice out today but couldn't make it past 1000ft!

I've been having wire issues, antenna 2.4ghz connector came disconnected from the pin. My 5.8ghz pigtail connector was loose. I think I got them fixed! it was so nice out today but couldn't make it past 1000ft!
**** Beau, that F 'n blows!
You think the U.fl connector was damaged inside the camera or was u talking bout controller?

Update**
Perfect weather here. I flew 3x yesterday but didn't quite make my goal although I came close. I need to burn through some tree leaves. It's a race against time because the leaves are coming out more and more each day. But I was only using the 10-11 turn helical. Today I will give the 16-turn a shot and see what happens...

Was beautiful out here but no flights..blue wires came so I was messing with those and building stuff..holy **** those lil' blue wires are crazy stiff

Perfect weather here. I flew 3x yesterday but didn't quite make my goal although I came close. I need to burn through some tree leaves. It's a race against time because the leaves are coming out more and more each day. But I was only using the 10-11 turn helical. Today I will give the 16-turn a shot and see what happens...
Could you post a pic of your set up Mark? If it's top secret I understand[emoji41]

**** Beau, that F 'n blows!
You think the U.fl connector was damaged inside the camera or was u talking bout controller?
No it was the cable from my FPVLR antenna! The connector that you wrench down came off the coax cable! Also a pigtail on my remote came loose, opened the controller back up and had to use two wrenches to tighten it down. I'm just not good at wiring, getting better though.

No it was the cable from my FPVLR antenna! The connector that you wrench down came off the coax cable! Also a pigtail on my remote came loose, opened the controller back up and had to use two wrenches to tighten it down. I'm just not good at wiring, getting better though.
That's cool man, although it's a big problem at the time, especially while you're in the field, sounds like it was minor. The stuff is constantly coming loose. Even though I'm constantly swapping stuff out, I have a complete separate case for my controller cause I don't like to take antennas on & off . When you got boosters and battery mods it takes long enough to set up the last thing you need to do is put all the extra antennas on too[emoji41]
Hope you got it worked out and you can start to put some numbers on, but let us know how it goes!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymoo