There's no TFR but Go app says there is- can't fly

Hi, jephoto, nice pix of Chicago. I assume you are using your P3P commercially? As a non-commercial hobbyist, can I still fly off the shore in Chicago for pix and video? Read some pretty confusing statements from the Chicago Park District regarding rules for drones. TIA.

Hi, jephoto, nice pix of Chicago. I assume you are using your P3P commercially? As a non-commercial hobbyist, can I still fly off the shore in Chicago for pix and video? Read some pretty confusing statements from the Chicago Park District regarding rules for drones. TIA.
The Chicago parks rules are ********. Again, they have no authority to regulate airspace. They can, however, regulate that you cannot be physically standing on their property whilst operating the drone.

The Chicago parks rules are ********. Again, they have no authority to regulate airspace. They can, however, regulate that you cannot be physically standing on their property whilst operating the drone.

Thanks. So if I cannot be standing on their property, what is the trick to fly to take pix of downtown and the lake shore? Standing on a parking lot or Navy Pier?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Turned out -this time- that it was a corrupted app. I deleted & reinstalled and the false yellow zones went away.
Wish I knew why that happens. But at least it's fixed. For now....

I do sometimes use it commercially. Working for an outfit that has the permits.
But my skyline stuff is personal for now. As were the fireworks shots.
The police can tell you where they don't want you to fly. Mostly I think the concern is for public safety. Flying over crowds of people is notnwhatninwantnto be doing anyway.
Usually I take off and am immediately over the lake

I do sometimes use it commercially. Working for an outfit that has the permits.
But my skyline stuff is personal for now. As were the fireworks shots.
The police can tell you where they don't want you to fly. Mostly I think the concern is for public safety. Flying over crowds of people is notnwhatninwantnto be doing anyway.
Usually I take off and am immediately over the lake

Jephoto, thanks for the reply. Do you usually take off from the beaches then fly out? Usually the police don't have problems with you standing there and operating the drone?

Never had a problem yet from the beach. But I don't like to launch from sand if I can help it. Usually try for sidewalk or grass areas bordering.
I do have a mat I got from Amazon that is made from same material military uses in the desert for helicopters. If sand gets on top is filters down & out. And not back up. Pretty cool. But rarely need it. I just looks for a rock, or sidewalk or piece of grass area that's thin so not to impede the camera.
Or a overturned boat, lifeguard stand, anything to keep out of the sand.

At dawn I never have problems. Only crazy people are up that early.....

Last edited:
Oh man I had the same problem today... I been flying in same RC field for 11 months now :(

This morning in Chicago I'm having a problem flying because of a DJI restricted zone where there isn't one. The FAA has no TFR is in my area yet there's a large area of north side of Chicago that it won't let me fly. I don't know what to do.
Asks me for either my mobile number or a credit card, then when I try to verify the verification fails.
Again there are no TFRs in my area and I am plenty of distance away from the nearest sports stadium, Wrigley Field, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to fly.
I did a restart of my iPad and the go app and that didn't help.

View attachment 62964View attachment 62965View attachment 62966

And what fixed it was to Delete the Go app from my iPad & download a new version & install.
Fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl