There's no TFR but Go app says there is- can't fly

Reaction score
This morning in Chicago I'm having a problem flying because of a DJI restricted zone where there isn't one. The FAA has no TFR is in my area yet there's a large area of north side of Chicago that it won't let me fly. I don't know what to do.
Asks me for either my mobile number or a credit card, then when I try to verify the verification fails.
Again there are no TFRs in my area and I am plenty of distance away from the nearest sports stadium, Wrigley Field, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to fly.
I did a restart of my iPad and the go app and that didn't help.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471958668.878687.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471958681.025980.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1471958703.928854.jpg

I have a shoot in a couple of days and I'm concerned that I'm not gonna be able to fly though there's no reason why I should have a problem

The last time this was reported the OP was advised to remove the DJI Go app then reinstall. Work then, may help you too.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Oso
I'll try that when I get home. Very frustrating.

"Imagine Whirled Peas..."

2-P-3p's
6 batteries

If you don't want to turn off GEO in the app, another suggestion would be to perhaps try unlocking the yellow zone from home on the GEO web site in advance of your shoot. The unlock should last three days. I realize that you noted there should not even be a yellow zone there, but considering you have an upcoming job to do it may help get you in the air. Maybe it's a good work around in case you are not able to get the yellow zone removed in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Where did you look to check for the TFR? If you went to the FAA site, note their caveat that the list may not be complete! Only way to be sure about current TFRs is to contact FSS in your area.

Another suggestion would be to perhaps try unlocking the yellow zone from home on the GEO web site in advance of your shoot. The unlock should last three days. I realize that you noted there should not even be a yellow zone there, but considering you have an upcoming job to do it may help get you in the air. Maybe it's a good work around in case you are not able to get the yellow zone removed in time.
What's the procedure? And where is the information on how to do this crap? Why am I getting surprised with this?????????
Not mad at you. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
What's the procedure? And where is the information on how to do this crap? Why am I getting surprised with this?????????
Not mad at you. I appreciate the help!

It's also in the settings under GEO (mentioned some information). May also want to turn GEO off.

The area you are trying to fly in is blocked because of the old Nike middle site nearby. Still shows as a military installation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The last time this was reported the OP was advised to remove the DJI Go app then reinstall. Work then, may help you too.

I recall it was about a month ago after you got back from tennis. Keep fingers crossed it works again. Cheers!

Actually, The Restrictionas are due to the proximity to the Cubs field. Wrigley Field. That is your issue. Wrigley field is at Clark and Addison

The zone you are being locked out of is likely because of this the following.

FAA TFR
Notams: 4/3621
Type: Security
U.S. Cellular Field

Then it lists a bunch of baseball games.

Here is the FAA link to the information 4/3621 NOTAM Details
Got the initial information from UAV forecast app which clearly marks a huge area as a TFR/NOTAM zone.
Wrong.
I'm on the North side. My problem was at North Ave. Beach and North from there. No TFRs whatsoever today.

And CORRECT !
This is exactly what happened. Again.

Although the last time it was a huge RED zone - way too big- from Soldiers Field that blocked me from flying at the Planetarium. As it was RED and today's was Yellow - and more than one showing up, I at first did not think that was it.
And last week we did have several TFR's due to ball games and the airshow last weekend. But thats all done.

So when I got home I did delete my DJI Go app and re-installed a new one.
POOF! Bad yellow circles all gone.....

Glad I got it fixed and thanks Traveler for the reminder!
in spite of the false yellow zone, I was still able to get in the air though by walking just out of the zone....
ChiSkyline_Dawn_0239-Pano_1000pxWeb.jpg

The zone you are being locked out of is likely because of this the following.

FAA TFR
Notams: 4/3621
Type: Security
U.S. Cellular Field

Then it lists a bunch of baseball games.

Here is the FAA link to the information 4/3621 NOTAM Details
Got the initial information from UAV forecast app which clearly marks a huge area as a TFR/NOTAM zone.
Yes it does- but not for today.
Did you actually try to read it? It was issued Oct 2014

Last edited:
Yes it does- but not for today.
Did you actually try to read it? It was issued Oct 2014

Yes I did read it and realized the game dates were not accurate.

I did a bunch of work trying to help someone that I thought was in a bind and needed some quick help.
Had some time so I did some research for you so that you might get a clue from the information, that I have little idea about. Also assumed you've done this thing before and the information might help you in some way.

Obviously it didn't. I tried...

Didn't mean to be pissy. I appreciate you were trying to help.

"Imagine Whirled Peas..."

2-P-3p's
6 batteries

I like airmap.io.

I'm gonna take a guess and suggest the system is flawed and is stopping legitimate drone flights in advance of a future TFR since the TFRs shown in AIRMAP don't actually start for several days.

You might consider a P2V+ to keep on hand as backup to fly with in situations like this - if flying in a timely manner is important. P2Vs can fly anywhere that there is no DJI P2 series no fly zone as established in late 2015. It never changes and there are never any surprises.

Edit: No FLY Zones | DJI

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4