Options for flying in an NFZ that DJI says exists, but actually in error (they admit it)

Reaction score
First post! Thank you for being here.

I am trying to fly a mission for business, real estate photography, I have my Part 107, and my Phantom 4A refused to leave the ground. Long story short, it's very close to a non-towered airport, I have (had) clearance from them, nearest controlled airspace is 700'agl (obviously I will be under 400'), no other obstacles or restrictions SHOULD be in place. In a now lengthy email string for the last 7 days, still no unlock code to allow this flight. The NFZ with their system is in error ("Thanks for contacting DJI. By checking our GEO map, we found that this place really isn't in the no fly zone."), that's a pull from one of their emails.

In frustration, I called them just a bit ago, basically the same answer "We are working on it". I know I am not DJI's only customer, I am not (genrally lol) an unreasonable person, but 7 days, to get me an unlock for a problem they acknowledge in on them seems excessive. I live SW of Chicago, so weather windows at this time of year aren't overly abundant either.

What are my options? Sit tight and wait out DJI and the weather? Other APPS that don't have geo fencing, or that have a way to enter a code for a legit flight?

Phantom 4 Advanced, that is all updated to current versions of software.

Thanks in Advance(d).

You could submit a request to unlock the restricted area. My office is right off the end of the runway so I couldn't get my phantom off the ground. I had the airport manager write up a waiver for me and attached it to the email request through DJI. I had it unlocked the same day. I don't have access to my drone right now but I am pretty sure it was good for 2-3 years. Hope this will help you.

You could submit a request to unlock the restricted area. My office is right off the end of the runway so I couldn't get my phantom off the ground. I had the airport manager write up a waiver for me and attached it to the email request through DJI. I had it unlocked the same day. I don't have access to my drone right now but I am pretty sure it was good for 2-3 years. Hope this will help you.

I tried that, and when that was denied, I started the email chain to see what could be done. My bad, I should have mentioned that too, sorry about that.

Well that seems odd. Here is where my office is located in comparison to the end of runway. I have unlocked the airspace for the airport, prison and National Guard. Maybe try changing your explanation of why you want it unlocked?
Office Location.PNG

Once you update the geofencing to the drone, you are stuck with it, no matter which program you use. You can try @WV. Rootman solution. When you say you are in a NFZ, do you mean an authorization area or restricted area. If it's an authorization area, you should be able to unlock seconds before the flight. Your last solution is purchasing a drone from another brand that isn't restricted by NFZs.

You should have another option if you're going to do business in that area. There are other manufacturers (and custom built) that have no GEO fencing.

Put metal foil on top to block the GPS and it doesn’t know where you are. You then have to fly without a GPS lock. It works, but no safety features.

Wouldn’t it be safer to open up your top shell and disconnect the gps antenna? Placing anything on top of your sUAS can come off during flight hit your props and bring your craft crashing down.

If you disconnect the gps the Phantom 4 will not fly. It will give a gps disconnected message.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic