The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1780m=5840ft +)

This is a awesome article on how to get the most bang for your buck out of your FC40. I am a noobie to this game and I am glad I read this article. But still a little lost by using the AR. Drone board will the FC40 still retain it's return to home feature due to loss of signal or battery power.

Thanks in Advance,
Anthony Co-Founder of Race Day Innovations.

Is there a special version of the app? I have downloaded mine for the kindle trough the original store but don't seem to have all that options I see in the pictures.

Updated my FPV for the FC40 with the similar setup, but with a 10bdbi directional.
10dbi is a little better than the 7dbi directional.

Indoor wall penetration test has been an amazing success. will test out the outdoor range tomorrow!

So let me get this straight.. You buy yourself an AR Drone, strip it down, stick it's main board onto the FC40 (It even plugs right into one of it's plugs?) and BAM! You get yourself a basic Vision Plus? No soldering? No TX mods? I'm tired so I'm a little slow..

Does the navistick gps require a monthly plan subscription or is just a one and done kinda deal. I can't seem to find this out. I see some info on a free 30 day trial so I'm thinking it might be a plan. Is that the same for the parrot ar drone flighttracker version too or is one a subscription and one is a free service. Any info would help. I'm trying to decide whether to do this mod or go with the flytrex live. The flytrex live does require an Sim card and monthly subscription

Hello,

This is my first post here. I own a FC40 too, and I was using it yet with the default setup since summer here in Lofoten Islands, Norway. Since then, I'm looking for the easiest and maybe cheapest solution to have longer and smoother distance FPV than the default one, which is really poor in my opinion. Here we have a lot of mountains and I love to "climb" them with the drone, but with the default camera and iPhone, trying with the mountain beside my house, I lost signal at half of the mountain (around 80m I guess).

I have experience with computers, so I know that, although the best ideal solution is to have two powerful signals on both sides you want to connect, you can also reach quite long distances with a default antenna in one side, and a powerful antenna on the other, because they not only transmit longer signal, but also listen much better to distant weak signals.

So, the first experiment I did was to buy an iPhone case that improves its signal (Linkcase): http://www.absolute.com.tw/products.php?id=5
And I have to say that I was impressed, because it truly improves the signal. I could reach the top of the mountain, but just when I turn around I lost signal, so I was not yet satisfied. Here's the video I filmed with that setup:http://youtu.be/fX1z7ealpMI?list=UUvaCzZQ2rP-yK_nv_r6u_uQ

Now I've bought a router, and I built a battery pack to use it in the field, and it's even better now, but I have discovered one thing: the default FC40 camera, when is only transmitting video home, has a much longer range, and the video is smoother, but when it's recording, the frame rate falls considerably and also the range, so I kept researching, and found this thread with a fantastic idea using the AR Drone boards! So thank you!

I found a used AR Drone (V1) and I'm waiting for it to arrive yet, but now, reading more about it, I've found that the antennas from the AR Drone V1 side cannot be improved, so now I'm a bit worried if I will get a better range or not.

Can anybody confirm if it's true that the AR Drone V1 antenna cannot be improved? I've seen photos of the mainboard and the antennas are on two sides of the board, so I'm wondering if soldering something there, could improve the signal. At least, to make them vertical polarized, so they match better the vertical antenna from my repeater. Or should I just relax because it will be enough improvement with the WIFI repeater? My objetive is to reach about 600-700 meters with live video and having freedom to move around at that distance.

can anyone please help me with editing the xml file to delete the error message. I got the layout exported and found the folder, I downloaded the new layout and put the new folder in the layout folder. I am not sure what to do from here, any help would be appreciated greatly! THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS MOD!!!!!!!

Race Day Inovations said:
This is a awesome article on how to get the most bang for your buck out of your FC40. I am a noobie to this game and I am glad I read this article. But still a little lost by using the AR. Drone board will the FC40 still retain it's return to home feature due to loss of signal or battery power.

Thanks in Advance,
Anthony Co-Founder of Race Day Innovations.

the mod won't affect the FC40 features , it only adds to it :)

gabimaor said:
Is there a special version of the app? I have downloaded mine for the kindle trough the original store but don't seem to have all that options I see in the pictures.

u have to refresh the app's licence every now and then to keep the GPS feature active.

PsychopathRC said:
So let me get this straight.. You buy yourself an AR Drone, strip it down, stick it's main board onto the FC40 (It even plugs right into one of it's plugs?) and BAM! You get yourself a basic Vision Plus? No soldering? No TX mods? I'm tired so I'm a little slow..

short answer YES :D

dtitus6297 said:
Does the navistick gps require a monthly plan subscription or is just a one and done kinda deal. I can't seem to find this out. I see some info on a free 30 day trial so I'm thinking it might be a plan. Is that the same for the parrot ar drone flighttracker version too or is one a subscription and one is a free service. Any info would help. I'm trying to decide whether to do this mod or go with the flytrex live. The flytrex live does require an Sim card and monthly subscription

No monthly plan subscription .. it's Free enjoy

Almarma said:
Hello,

This is my first post here. I own a FC40 too, and I was using it yet with the default setup since summer here in Lofoten Islands, Norway. Since then, I'm looking for the easiest and maybe cheapest solution to have longer and smoother distance FPV than the default one, which is really poor in my opinion. Here we have a lot of mountains and I love to "climb" them with the drone, but with the default camera and iPhone, trying with the mountain beside my house, I lost signal at half of the mountain (around 80m I guess).

I have experience with computers, so I know that, although the best ideal solution is to have two powerful signals on both sides you want to connect, you can also reach quite long distances with a default antenna in one side, and a powerful antenna on the other, because they not only transmit longer signal, but also listen much better to distant weak signals.

So, the first experiment I did was to buy an iPhone case that improves its signal (Linkcase): http://www.absolute.com.tw/products.php?id=5
And I have to say that I was impressed, because it truly improves the signal. I could reach the top of the mountain, but just when I turn around I lost signal, so I was not yet satisfied. Here's the video I filmed with that setup:http://youtu.be/fX1z7ealpMI?list=UUvaCzZQ2rP-yK_nv_r6u_uQ

Now I've bought a router, and I built a battery pack to use it in the field, and it's even better now, but I have discovered one thing: the default FC40 camera, when is only transmitting video home, has a much longer range, and the video is smoother, but when it's recording, the frame rate falls considerably and also the range, so I kept researching, and found this thread with a fantastic idea using the AR Drone boards! So thank you!

I found a used AR Drone (V1) and I'm waiting for it to arrive yet, but now, reading more about it, I've found that the antennas from the AR Drone V1 side cannot be improved, so now I'm a bit worried if I will get a better range or not.

Can anybody confirm if it's true that the AR Drone V1 antenna cannot be improved? I've seen photos of the mainboard and the antennas are on two sides of the board, so I'm wondering if soldering something there, could improve the signal. At least, to make them vertical polarized, so they match better the vertical antenna from my repeater. Or should I just relax because it will be enough improvement with the WIFI repeater? My objetive is to reach about 600-700 meters with live video and having freedom to move around at that distance.

true the V1 antenna can't be modded , but if u use the TP-Link 703 + Sunhans 2.5w booster + Alfa 2.4ghz 7dbi panel antenna on your pilot end configuration u can easliy reach 600-700m .. i've tested a stock AR V1 board with this configuration and hit the 1000m mark .

dtitus6297 said:
can anyone please help me with editing the xml file to delete the error message. I got the layout exported and found the folder, I downloaded the new layout and put the new folder in the layout folder. I am not sure what to do from here, any help would be appreciated greatly! THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS MOD!!!!!!!

all u have to do is replace the xml file with the edited one from the first page , and restart ur app , the error msg should be gone.
let me know how it goes , and post some videos .. :cool:

*make sure* the edited xml file has the same name as the original .

sohail99 said:
Updated my FPV for the FC40 with the similar setup, but with a 10bdbi directional.
10dbi is a little better than the 7dbi directional.

Indoor wall penetration test has been an amazing success. will test out the outdoor range tomorrow!

sohail99 .. how did it go :)

IIVII said:
true the V1 antenna can't be modded , but if u use the TP-Link 703 + Sunhans 2.5w booster + Alfa 2.4ghz 7dbi panel antenna on your pilot end configuration u can easliy reach 600-700m .. i've tested a stock AR V1 board with this configuration and hit the 1000m mark .

Aha!, that's good news ;). And if I'm not satisfied I can always sell the drone to a children in the neighborhood ;).

I bought a TP-Link WR841ND with one stock 5dBi and a second 8dBi omni antennas (one for short and the other for long distance, because the router supposedly choose the better antenna to each connection dynamically depending of the best SNR. With this router and the stock FC40 camera I've reached near 700m (without recording. If it's recording, the distance is around 200m maybe). I hope the distance is at least similar to the FC40 (without recording)... ;)

While I'm waiting for my AR Drone to arrive, I'm just investigating the photos from iFixit about the AR Drone v1, and I'm wondering what are these two circles pointed by the two blue arrows for:

They are beside the antennas, and just behind some small (capacitors?) that are connected to the antenna in the reverse side:

:idea: So I suspect they could be the place on the board designed to solder miniature antenna connections like all laptops have (ULF Connector), like the one here:

But maybe to make it cheaper, after testing, they decided not to use it because it was enough with the printed antennas, but maybe are yet connected to the circuit and could be used. Any other have researched about this before? I'm trying to search about any possible upgrade to the antennas on the AR Drone v1 :?:

Beside the two circles it says: TPRF1 and TPRF2. I don't know what "TP" stands for, but "RF" could be "Radio Frequency"?

UPDATE: Maybe it could be easier to just add this under the Phantom: http://www.amazon.com/TOMTOP-Wireless-R ... B00CD27ODY

I don't know what could happen with the signal having two repeaters, one in the drone and another on the ground (AR Drone board -> Mini repeater -> TP-Link repeater -> iPhone). It just weights 41g, so I will keep an eye in case I need it ;)

Attachments

• kJFUsgUsjQWE3XLJ_huge__1600×1200__y_Guía_turística.jpg
    kJFUsgUsjQWE3XLJ_huge__1600×1200__y_Guía_turística.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 476
  • cmH6AkEgrAe32ckU_huge__1600×1200_.jpg
    cmH6AkEgrAe32ckU_huge__1600×1200_.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 513
  • 562847446_807.JPG
    562847446_807.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 489
Almarma said:
While I'm waiting for my AR Drone to arrive, I'm just investigating the photos from iFixit about the AR Drone v1, and I'm wondering what are these two circles pointed by the two blue arrows for:

They are beside the antennas, and just behind some small (capacitors?) that are connected to the antenna in the reverse side:

:idea: So I suspect they could be the place on the board designed to solder miniature antenna connections like all laptops have (ULF Connector), like the one here:

But maybe to make it cheaper, after testing, they decided not to use it because it was enough with the printed antennas, but maybe are yet connected to the circuit and could be used. Any other have researched about this before? I'm trying to search about any possible upgrade to the antennas on the AR Drone v1 :?:

Beside the two circles it says: TPRF1 and TPRF2. I don't know what "TP" stands for, but "RF" could be "Radio Frequency"?

UPDATE: Maybe it could be easier to just add this under the Phantom: http://www.amazon.com/TOMTOP-Wireless-R ... B00CD27ODY

I don't know what could happen with the signal having two repeaters, one in the drone and another on the ground (AR Drone board -> Mini repeater -> TP-Link repeater -> iPhone). It just weights 41g, so I will keep an eye in case I need it ;)

adding an external antenna is the easy part .. the issue with the V1 board is cutting the trace of the built in antennas , don't mess the board before trying it out in the field first .. trust me it'll do fine with the stock antenna as long as u have a good boosted repeater on the ground .

adding another 100mw+ repeater to your connection would work as long as u fly within range of a good steady signal , the downside will be the time needed to reconnect in case of losing connection :roll:

start first with the stock board and a good ground repeater and see how it goes .

IIVII said:
start first with the stock board and a good ground repeater and see how it goes .

I'll try! I already have the TP-Link WR841ND with one 5dBi default antenna and a second 8dBi one, configured as wifi repeater, which works fantastic now. I'll wait until the AR Drone arrives and I try it.

Thank you very much for your comments IIVII! And specially thank you for the mod idea! I'm really excited about having the HUD showing the WIFI signal and even more, the battery level :)

FYI if your looking to secure the board into an assembly, I put mine into an iPhone 4 case and it is perfect width. Just gotta trim down the length a little to save some space. I am working on a setup that will make it easily removable like the fc40 camera. I will post pics once completed. Probly add a few extra grams of weight but I think it will be worth it

dtitus6297 said:
FYI if your looking to secure the board into an assembly, I put mine into an iPhone 4 case and it is perfect width. Just gotta trim down the length a little to save some space. I am working on a setup that will make it easily removable like the fc40 camera. I will post pics once completed. Probly add a few extra grams of weight but I think it will be worth it

That's awesome!! I'll do something similar, because I also have some old iPhone 4 cases lying around!

Today I received the AR Drone!! This evening I'll start the experiment. I just had 5 minutes to try it and it's working fine! It's a bit sad to have to disassemble it, because it also looks funny, but my Phantom is much funnier ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3