The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1780m=5840ft +)

Hey everyone ,

Now u can enjoy FPV with ur Mobile or Laptop + OSD + Live map tracking & more for less than $100 :D

There r 2 options to do this mod..

option 1 : a used Ar.Drone v1.0 $40-$60 , u get a basic OSD with 2 cams view ,but no HD no GPS data.

option 2 : a used Ar.Drone v2.0 $80-$100 , u get full OSD /2 cams view (front is HD) + usb plug where u can record ur HD videos or hook up a flight recorder (GPS) and track your FC40 on maps live while flying .. plus u can add an external antenna and amp .. with the Ardrone v2.0 board the sky's literally the limit .

used Ar.Drones can be found on ebay at a very reasonable price .. u only need the main board / navigation board /sensors / cams , so if u find an ArDrone with a broken central cross or even defective motors .. it'll do .

listed below are some examples of how cheap these ArDrones sell on ebay :

This V2.0 was sold for $45 item#:291113708507
This V2.0 was sold for $76 item#:181368302298
This V2.0 was sold for $81 item#: 181368499736
These Two V1.0 were sold for $57 item#: 291127581995
This V1.0 was sold for $49 item#:390803755700

The Ar.Drone uses 2.4ghz so it's like it meant to be .. both options will give ya a better FPV with alot less lag plus :

1-Battery indicator
2-Wifi signal
3-Heading
4-Compass
5-Take photos and record videos directly from your mobile screen.
5-Altitude (only with v2.0 and GPS)
6-Speed (only with v2.0 and GPS)
7-Distance from home (only with v2.0 and GPS)

u can also keep the FC40 cam or add a better cam to record ur HD videos .

View attachment 16553

V1.0 & V2.0 boards:
View attachment 16552

this's how light the v 1.0 board is :
UT0rYb.jpg

the v 2.0 board is a little heavier due to the usb plug which is a good option .
TDm0rn.jpg

the FC40 cam weighs almost as the v.2 board complete with it's cams , navigation board and usb plug:
View attachment 16554

this's what the v2.0 board looks like attached temporarily underneath my FC40 , as u can see it's powered by the Auxiliary cable that comes with the fc40:
View attachment 16561

NOTE : the apps with Ar.Drone boards won't show altitude without an actual (launch) and in our case that's impossible due to the motors being disconnected from the board , but there's a workaround this . u can get altitude reading when u hook up the GPS .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update :

i took the FC40 this afternoon for a quick test at the park front of my house and it was great , a bit windy and shaky but the mod preformed as it should . next weekend am gonna mount the board on a new permanent plate and probably add a booster and external antenna to it . plus a small isolated servo gimbal to carry both the Ar cam and the FC cam .

btw. since the board is operating without motors i had to tweak the XML of the (ArDrone Flight Pro app) to hide the (emergency / motors) error and the msg is gone so i couldn't be happier :)

Here's the edited xml file :
download/file.php?id=11932

To set it up open (ARDrone Flight Pro) Go to settings --> UI options --> then click on export layout .. a folder called (layout) will be created inside the ARDroneFlight folder on ur dir/SDcard go to that folder and replace the xml file with the edited one .

a screenshot of the ARDrone Flight Pro app taken live from my mobile with the Ar.Drone board installed underneath my FC40 .. so this is what u see while flying ur phantom now.

FPV+GPS Map mode :

XgEEVn.jpg

FPV While Flying :

YAl7OG.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update :

I did the external antenna mod today :ugeek:

Pigtail RG178 Cable soldered + clear epoxy
View attachment 16560

The 3dbi antenna + GPS module hooked up to the AR board .. i've also modded the landing gears .. now it has a wider stand all around plus it's right under the motors mounts so theres less drag .. win win :mrgreen:

View attachment 16556
View attachment 16557

Update :

New World Record :mrgreen:

Still waiting for the amp to be delivered .. antennas used for today's FPV test were 3dbi omni directional connected to the AR board & 7dbi alfa small directional panel on the Alfa adaptor .

today's range is 1410m=4625ft .. AR cam mount fixed n vibration is gone .. i still had good steady FPV , but my DJI RC ran outa range.. moddin' the controler is a must now :cool:
View attachment 16558

FPV Veiw + live tracking :cool:

Update :

a special (Thank you) goes to Shawn Fraser the Developer of the ARDrone Flight Pro app for adding new options which made this mod a complete :)

ARDrone Flight Pro app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ARDronePro

Now u can enjoy :

1- The ability to resize the icons on the map section.
2- GPS Alt on the FPV screen.
3- GPS Speed on the FPV screen.
4- GPS Dist on the FPV screen.
5- GPS Fix on the FPV screen.

so basically u get a full OSD like the vision guys have .. plus live map tracking all in one screen :mrgreen:

4HzMAO.png

still waiting for the Antennas & amps to arrive .. a new record will be posted soon :D

Update :

For the AR GPS module .. instead of buying the Parrot Flight Recorder for $130 , go with the Navistick listed below which's lighter / way cheaper and works great for only $17
. :mrgreen:

uGvxVM.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Navistick-LE-US ... 35d72b35e2

the link below is how to configure the Navistick to work with the ArDrone :idea:

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=6629

Update :

While still waitin' for my new antennas and amps to arrive i thought it's time to do the battery mod so here it is :)

double Maddog 2700s , that's 5400mah inside the shell , should give me at least 26 mins of flying time .. a must have for my long range flights.
:mrgreen:
View attachment 16555

for more info on this mod check out ElGuano's (Mini-HowTo):

5400mah Phantom Battery mod - RC Groups

Update :

another New World Record 1780m=5840ft :mrgreen:

IBH92W.jpg

Still no amp on board only 3dbi omni directional antenna .. but i've changed the pilot end configuration to TP-Link 703 mini repeater + Sunhans 2.5w booster and the result was amazing .

i went out to the desert thinking i brought my fully charged batts .. i was in a hurry when i left home and instead of grabbin' my charged batteries i took the empty ones ... lol

while there i found out that one of the batts had %35 charge in it , so i thought what the hell if i run outa batt i can always autoland and put the live map tracking into use to locate the drone .. and that's what happened around half kilometer on the way back .. :idea:

today's range test was kinda limited to my %35 battery range .. so i went as far as my batt allowed 1780 m = 5840 ft and still had strong signal , but i had to cut it short and return due to low batt :cool:

This's my new pilot end configuration: TP-Link 703 + Sunhans 2.5w booster + Alfa 2.4ghz 7dbi panel antenna+ 5.8ghz 11dbi panel antenna .. I've added a knob for gimbal pitch control and u can also see MY $20 modded gimbal .. i've also removed the batt door to fit the 5400mah and used velcro instead ..
View attachment 16562

1780m = 5840ft Test Flight with autoland :)

P2V+ watch out :)

IIVII
Where did you get the landing gear? Ive been looking everywhere for the 4 independent legs that go under the arms!

Thanks

Does anyone have step by step instructions me for all the MODS listed? Have a AR V2 main board,GPS board, vertical camera. Need help with getting everything together......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20