The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1780m=5840ft +)

I just tried out a 6 dbi omni (transmitter side) antenna and was very impressed went 600 meters before starting to lose signal. I will use that from now on unless doing distance flights

Re: The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod - Zero Battery Voltage showing

I got a FC40 for Christmas and have enjoyed flying it immensely. My only issue is monitoring battery voltage to make sure I bring it back to me before getting critically low, so this mod really appeals to me.

I bought a used ARDRONE 2.0 that has both cameras, the main and nav boards and the sensors.

I have attached it to the FC40 via the aux power cable and, using ARDRONE FLIGHT PRO, I am getting the OSD (not flown yet only on the ground) just fine and am able to change settings, etc. Both cameras work fine.

I have ordered a Navistick to use for GPS and will have it in a week. The only remaining issue I have is that the ARDRONE FLIGHT PRO OSD shows the battery icon but always shows zero's. I have gone through all of the menus and have calibrated and reset the program but still get zero even though I am using a brand new battery that measures 12.5V. Anyone have any ideas about how to get the battery percentage showing?

Not sure as I haven't experienced this before, but I would say to make sure in the User Interface section that battery voltage is selected to be displayed. You could also try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. Contact the app developer if this does not work. I had some issues early on and he was very helpful and quick with responding. Good luck and keep posting your findings as someone else could have the same issue

I have already tried reinstalling the APP but that did not work, but I did get the battery voltage and also the direction of light arrow working.

I had ordered a new nav board before getting the full 2.0 body, so I replaced the used nav board with the new one and it worked!! Now I have battery voltage and something I did not notice before - the flight direction arrow now turns as I move the drone body, so it was the nav board that was bad.

Now on to getting the rig on my FC40 - I will report my success if any.

Awesome! Glad to hear your up and running. Your gonna love the mod once you get it all configured and everything. Make sure to post your first video. Try using a screen recorder app for recording your flight with the telemetry overlayed, it works better than taking the video with the drone in my opinion. Invest in a cheap wifi extender and give it an amplifier and you could go 1500 meters or more with a directional antenna. IIVII has a good setup he posted earlier in this forum that I am also using now and it works great. Good luck and have fun not having to time your flights anymore or watch for that blinking red light....lol

I have the GPS module now working and am getting the ALT, HDG, FPS, and GPS Fix/Dist/Speed showing, but cannot get the split screen with the MAP view - I used the following setup from IIVII:

now since ur GPS is working lets tweak the settings a little :

1- go to Flight Pro settings --> flight recorder --> check mark (use full screen) and move the GPS fix slider all the way to the left it should read 3.

2- go to Flight Pro settings -->user interface --> UI options -->information block 1 --> select the followings: altitude+heading+fps+GPS Fix+GPS Dis+GPS speed .

3- go to Flight Pro settings -->user interface --> UI options -->information block 2 --> deselect everything .

When I use these I cannot find a place in ARFLIGHT PRO flight recorder that has a check mark for full screen - I do have a couple of check mark boxes that reference Planner Mode but I have checked and unchecked each of them together and separately and cannot get the MAP view - any ideas???

Did you go and download the maps for the planner mode? I think it was called map forge data or something like that

Also I think Google maps has to be downloaded on the device your using. Make sure the device your using has gps capabilities also

I have Nav for Google Maps already on my Kindle Fire HDX - Also I have tried several times to "Refresh Licenses" and each time there are no maps that are shown. Do I have to be outside with the Navistick looking at the sats?

Thanks

Does the gps icon to open the map view pop up? Does the split screen open but no maps are shown? That really stinks cause that's one of the cooler parts of the mod. I had to be outside to get navistick to connect to the satalites the first time. It took a while the first time too but now it's done by the time I'm done my preflight check, like 30 seconds max

Never mind - I found out from communicating with Shawn the developer of ARDrone Flight PRO, that my Kindle Fire HDX does not have GPS so it will not work with that tablet which is unfortunate since it has very good WiFi range.

Also, now my Navistick seems to have stopped working as I no longer get the GPS info showing on OSD and since I reprogrammed it I do not know how to check it.

Thanks for your help

I ran into that with a dragon touch y88 tablet I tried to use. Cheap thing didn't have gps. With that tablet everything worked except the altitude and distance and such measurements where it would need your location as well to tell you the info. I think your navistick is probly fine and just not getting info because of the no gps on the Kindle. Try it on a cell phone before you go messing with the navistick. Good luck!

Well I have good news and bad news...good news is I just went 960 yards out with good video connection. I could have gone further, but my rc ran out of range I think cause the batteries were getting low. I made it all the way back to right in front of me and I still had some battery life left so I decided to practice manual mode a bit....that's where the bad news comes in. I was doing high speed dives and a big gust of wind came and she went down. It would have hit pavement but it hit a car to break the fall first. Only suffered a few scratches and I broke 1 prop. Stinks cause it was my only set of 9450 props and they were my fav. All in all I guess I was lucky she didn't get smashed altogether. And hey, at least I got it on video right?

Here is the video link for u tube
http://youtu.be/TrwMi2VpMms

I have my rig all working now and have mounted everything on the FC40 - I verified the GPS with freeflight on my IPhone. I cannot post a picture - it tells me the file (1.3 MB) is too big, but I have it setup similar to IIVII.

I have ordered an Android tablet that has GPS and also the Alpha high power 1000 mw adapter with 9 DBI antenna but will not have them until next week, so I am looking forward to a trial run then.

Thanks

Awesome! Glad to hear your getting there. Just stay out of manual mode unless you have some altitude. I learned this the hard way as u can see in the video I posted above....manual mode is so fun and addictive but the slightest mistake and kaboom...no more quad. I got lucky and just broke a prop. Got some new 9450's coming in the mail. Hopefully they are legit as I bought them from amazon and it seems to be hit or miss with them being oem or not. If they aren't they are getting sent right back

If you want to post a pic and it's too big u can compress it or post it somewhere else and put a link to it

Dell Venue 7 - got a great deal on EBAY for a Dell refurbished (90 day warranty) unit that has GPS fro $79.99 - it is the first generation. Should get it by next Tuesday so will try it out and report back.

Awesome. I have heard very good things about the wifi distance with all the Dell tablets. Even without a range extender people were getting like 200 or 250 yards. I think they are easy to mod for an external antenna as well if ur into that. For real distance u need the setup IIVII was using (before he smashed his bird and remade it better)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20