Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
P3P and the Refinery

Reactions: SkyShark and Erised
Good one ...

But I know plenty of Companys, in USA and around the world, with Refinery's / Terminals that would have you arrested for such a flight.

My work takes me into them and the safety regs are second to none .... mobile phone and any thing remotely battery left at security etc.

Nigel

Reactions: wheniwake and OOO
I do not know if G had permission for the overflight ... so I reserve comment.

Nigel

Reactions: BigAl07
I do not know if G had permission for the overflight ... so I reserve comment.

Nigel

Well said.

None of us know the circumstances on this one so let's keep the snide comments to ourselves.

P3P and the Refinery

If you were smart you would take this off of the internet right now. This is basically a Homeland security matter. Someone from one of the refineries will come across this. Then they will be coming for you. I work as a crane operator in refineries. This flight is totally illegal. Ive seen security personal chase people down on the highway, pulling film from cameras. Deleting digital images. Arresting those that flew drones over refineries. I don't think you realize how much of a serious offense you have committed. Those plants have specific MARSEC Lvls. Not to mention you did it at night. Your drone could have possibly ignited any number of gasses possibly present. In short, Your flight over the refinery put everyone within that area at risk.

Last edited:
Settle down people... This is not a petroleum refinery. It is a fertilizer processing plant. Liquid process of chemicals for farms. And the sheriff that was next to me as I flew was quite impressed with the whole thing. There was nothing wrong happening. The whole wet blanket mentality is not required. As far as the night flying, I don't hold a 107 cert and there is no law against it. (Benefit).. Get a grip.

Settle down people... This is not a petroleum refinery. It is a fertilizer processing plant. Liquid process of chemicals for farms. And the sheriff that was next to me as I flew was quite impressed with the whole thing. There was nothing wrong happening. The whole wet blanket mentality is not required. As far as the night flying, I don't hold a 107 cert and there is no law against it. (Benefit).. Get a grip.

You should’ve grabbed some popcorn and let it go a few days..... nice video Gram

While letting someone know a flight may not have been in their best interest may be a good thing, please be sure that you know the circumstances so you are sure of what you are warning them about. While there is a law in the OP's state on refineries, there are circumstances that allow it... we have no way of knowing if the OP had clearance or not. So please be respectful when pointing out the perceived legalities of flights so we can keep the inaccuracies to a minimum.

Well said.

None of us know the circumstances on this one so let's keep the snide comments to ourselves.

So comments have been removed making me look the offender !

Nigel

OK ... lets get a grip ........

A Fertilizer Processing plant in fact is a highly flammable and explosive environment. It is as hazardous as a Petroleum Refinery, in fact can be more so as those who are not aware would take less precautions.

I am sure such companies as : Urals Kali, Belarus Kali, Ibn Al Baytar, Jubail Fertilizer Company as just a few of the production plants I have worked in and for can attest to.
Ammonium Nitrate is not the only hazardous product ...

Anyway - back to the flight - I am glad that you had Sheriff with you. But is Sheriff aware of the Plants Safety Requirements ? Generally they are not ...

I am sure that if asked - the Refinery would refuse any overflight.

Not so long ago - I did a flight over local port facilities for a Worldwide Yachting group - to give an aerial view of port entry and layout. The Coal and Peat facilities were completely out of bounds to my overflight and I had to keep to other side of port clear. Luckily facilities I wanted for video were on that clear side of port. I can assure you that Coal and Peat transit are far safer than any Fertilizer Production Plant.

Sorry if I appear negative. I am just a concerned person. When we post video's / data etc. - there are many out there who are unaware or lax on flight safety / guidelines. The video here says REFINERY without any supporting info ... a new owner without experience could just go out and copy thinking everythings fine ... KAZAM !
We have a responsibility to qualify what we post / submit.

Nigel

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ43Phantom

Nigel
I just looked and the only post removed was from a post above your's that was
A personal attack at the OP Nigel and believe BA's remark was directed at that member .Not you .

Reactions: BigAl07
I just looked and the only post removed was from a post above your's that was
A personal attack at the OP Nigel and believe BA's remark was directed at that member .Not you .

Just remarking because now new readers will never know the real story ... just me left as the 'negative' !

No worries ... cheers
Nigel

Interesting video of an interesting subject and decently filmed. BUT, putting aside the legality which is highly suspect this is NOT safe, not safe at all! Fertilizer chemicals can be both highly flammable and exceedingly explosive -- the Murrah Federal Building was destroyed by AMFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil) and Timothy McVeigh, the bomber, picked up the main ingredient, forty 50-pound bags of ammonium nitrate, from a farm co-op in Kansas. In addition, the plants themselves can explode -- see links.

West Fertilizer Company explosion - Wikipedia

Ammonium nitrate disasters - Wikipedia

The bottom line is, even if it were legal, and the odds of that being the case is, well, zero, the safety risks are WAY TOO HIGH. I add my voice to the others that have suggested you take your video down. If you feel that's not fair then perhaps you can provide more info about the particular plant you flew over -- I mean, if you have nothing to fear...

Brian

Nigel

Did you miss the part were I complimented your comment and stated, "Well said"?

For ALL Members . . . FUTURE reference.... if you have a problem with something that has been modified/edited/removed by a Staff Member take it up in PM. This is not something we need to clutter the forum and the OP's thread up with.

I don't see this ending very nicely . . .

**** This thread is now closed ****

Reactions: dirkclod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl