The cracks keep coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my P3P after DJI became aware of the problems. However, it was the older model that appears to be subject to cracking. I was not aware of the problems until just recently. So, I was sold a product that was known to be defective at full price. By the time I learned of the problem, it was too late to return the drone to Best Buy.

I don't expect that I can sell this drone or would have to take a substantial loss if I do because it is easily identified as a drone that could be defective.

DJI's offer to replace the shell if it cracks does not compensate me for that loss.
Does anyone know if DJI is offering to replace drones that were sold under these circumstances?
Not another one.
Just for you Hola .. here is a brief explanation of what you aren't understanding properly.
Only a small fraction of the number of original shell P3s have developed cracking because of moulding issues and/or bad batches of plastic.
The vast majority have not developed cracks.
DJI will replace any that do.

If you have no cracking, you have no problem and should go and fly your Phantom.
If you have cracking, it won't cause your Phantom to fall out of the sky but DJI will replace the shell for you and you can go and fly your Phantom.

Reactions: bobmyers
I bought my P3P after DJI became aware of the problems. However, it was the older model that appears to be subject to cracking. I was not aware of the problems until just recently. So, I was sold a product that was known to be defective at full price. By the time I learned of the problem, it was too late to return the drone to Best Buy.

I don't expect that I can sell this drone or would have to take a substantial loss if I do because it is easily identified as a drone that could be defective.

DJI's offer to replace the shell if it cracks does not compensate me for that loss.

Does anyone know if DJI is offering to replace drones that were sold under these circumstances?
tumblr_nozbavrxe51ro8ysbo1_500.gif

To my recollection, this shell issue has be argued for months on end-- and probably will continue to be-- with no clear cut answer for some- and from that the sarcasm and trolling will probably continue unless the Forum shuts it down-- or maybe the shell issue should have it's own special discussion space.

New comer's to the forum with cracking issues, come in with the "same ol same ol" arguments and rants against the DJI and how they should react to their complaints.

I guess all the complaints have improved DJI's customer service, because a telephone call usually results in and RMA and the offer to replace the defective shell. From what I have seen on the forum lately, the service time has only been a couple of weeks-- a vast improvement.

For some that is not good enough, demands now extend to new arm stickers, newer shells, newer motors, and whatever. We will still be reading about cracking shells after the P4 comes out.o_Oo_O

On to something more productive. (sigh)
Boiling it all down, DJI sells drones for the purpose of making money. Some of the drones that they are selling are defective. DJI has not been responsive in addressing the issue. Additionally, DJI continues to sell it's stock of defective drones, even though it has solved the problem, and is simultaneously selling drones with the updates.

Purchasers of the DJI drones are concerned about whether their drones will crack and whether they can sell their drones knowing that they are potentially defective. They have invested at least $1,300.00 and probably closer to $2,000.00 with accessories in these drones only to find out that there is a serious problem with some of them.

Now comes the interesting part. When the concerned customers try to get some information about what to do about the problem or complain, they are attacked with trolling and sarcasm. The anger of the attackers borders on rage. It is not clear what drives this rage. It is interesting that those who are raging tend to call the concerned customers "liberals," and attack them using trigger words like "entitlement." It's almost as if they want to turn this into a political debate, which it is not. Fortunately, the concerned customers are keeping their focus on the actual topic rather than being diverted into a flame war.

There is also a group that is saying that the defects are old news and that people should find something better to do with their time. It's OK to have that opinion, but if they are not interested in the topic, then they don't need to waste their time reading the topic. It is not going to go away because DJI is still selling the potentially defective drones. So, new folks are constantly being added to the rolls of concerned customers.

There is also a subtopic where people are speculating about how many drones are affected. Only DJI knows the answer to this, and they aren't saying.

The way to resolve this whole thing is for DJI to provide an explanation of what is causing the problem, and how many drones are affected. If the problem is limited to a single batch of the drones, they should provide the serial numbers for the affected drones and replace them. That way, folks who have the older model P3s that are not affected can be assured that their drones are OK and can use or sell them without worries. If the problem affects all the P3s, then they need to do a recall.

Basically, DJI could put an end to this by providing information on the extent of the issue, and replacing the drones that are defective.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Not another one.
Just for you Hola .. here is a brief explanation of what you aren't understanding properly.
Only a small fraction of the number of original shell P3s have developed cracking because of moulding issues and/or bad batches of plastic.
The vast majority have not developed cracks.
DJI will replace any that do.

If you have no cracking, you have no problem and should go and fly your Phantom.
If you have cracking, it won't cause your Phantom to fall out of the sky but DJI will replace the shell for you and you can go and fly your Phantom.

Meta4 - I understand what you are saying. You are saying that the problem is not widespread. If DJI has shared the information on the extent of the problem with you, please share it with us. If DJI has not shared that information with you, then you are just speculating, and this is only your opinion.

Likewise, if DJI has shared some information with you about the bad batches, please share the serial numbers of the bad batches with us. Otherwise, this is also just speculation or your opinion.

Do you work for DJI or any of it's affiliates?

Finally, where is the policy of phatompilots.com on etiquette for its moderators?

Last edited:
Boiling it all down, DJI sells drones for the purpose of making money. Some of the drones that they are selling are defective. DJI has not been responsive in addressing the issue. Additionally, DJI continues to sell it's stock of defective drones, even though it has solved the problem, and is simultaneously selling drones with the updates.

Purchasers of the DJI drones are concerned about whether their drones will crack and whether they can sell their drones knowing that they are potentially defective. They have invested at least $1,300.00 and probably closer to $2,000.00 with accessories in these drones only to find out that there is a serious problem with some of them.

Now comes the interesting part. When the concerned customers try to get some information about what to do about the problem or complain, they are attacked with trolling and sarcasm. The anger of the attackers borders on rage. It is not clear what drives this rage. It is interesting that those who are raging tend to call the concerned customers "liberals," and attack them using trigger words like "entitlement." It's almost as if they want to turn this into a political debate, which it is not. Fortunately, the concerned customers are keeping their focus on the actual topic rather than being diverted into a flame war.

There is also a group that is saying that the defects are old news and that people should find something better to do with their time. It's OK to have that opinion, but if they are not interested in the topic, then they don't need to waste their time reading the topic. It is not going to go away because DJI is still selling the potentially defective drones. So, new folks are constantly being added to the rolls of concerned customers.

There is also a subtopic where people are speculating about how many drones are affected. Only DJI knows the answer to this, and they aren't saying.

The way to resolve this whole thing is for DJI to provide an explanation of what is causing the problem, and how many drones are affected. If the problem is limited to a single batch of the drones, they should provide the serial numbers for the affected drones and replace them. That way, folks who have the older model P3s that are not affected can be assured that their drones are OK and can use or sell them without worries. If the problem affects all the P3s, then they need to do a recall.

Basically, DJI could put an end to this by providing information on the extent of the issue, and replacing the drones that are defective.
So much babbling, all stemming from from an initial statement that is absolutely false. There are at least a dozen people here that have had their cases replaced already, through a very simple and speedy process. If YOU cant put the effort forth to contact DJI to get your fixed then its YOUR fault. Obviouse we all know that DJI knows of the issue, but what some arent able to grasp is that DJI isnt sure what serial #s are affected, so they cant be any more proactive. They appear to have no data available to go directly to customers and hold their hands.

First.. If people would put some effort of their own into the issue they would have a solution
Second.. If people would put in their own effort and SEARCH they would see there are already a several dozen threads pertaining to this, and all lead to the same thing.

When all of that is too much trouble, it leads to those of use that have already said the above 20 times getting MORE tired of having to say it again. Yes, there is an issue, And yes, YOU have to take the steps to to get the solution. The solution is stupid easy. So stop complaining about it and get it solved!

Reactions: Meta4
If DJI has shared the information on the extent of the problem with you, please share it with us.
If DJI has not shared that information with you, then you are just speculating, and this is only your opinion.
Likewise, if DJI has shared some information with you about the bad batches, please share the serial numbers of the bad batches with us. Otherwise, this is also just speculation or your opinion.
Do you work for DJI or any of it's affiliates?
News Flash - no-one here has any association with DJI.
Phantom Pilots is completely independent of DJI.

Your questions have already been addressed multiple times here:
Campaign for the replacement of all P3A /Ps with old motors and shells | DJI Phantom Forum

So much babbling, all stemming from from an initial statement that is absolutely false. There are at least a dozen people here that have had their cases replaced already, through a very simple and speedy process. If YOU cant put the effort forth to contact DJI to get your fixed then its YOUR fault. Obviouse we all know that DJI knows of the issue, but what some arent able to grasp is that DJI isnt sure what serial #s are affected, so they cant be any more proactive. They appear to have no data available to go directly to customers and hold their hands.

First.. If people would put some effort of their own into the issue they would have a solution
Second.. If people would put in their own effort and SEARCH they would see there are already a several dozen threads pertaining to this, and all lead to the same thing.

When all of that is too much trouble, it leads to those of use that have already said the above 20 times getting MORE tired of having to say it again. Yes, there is an issue, And yes, YOU have to take the steps to to get the solution. The solution is stupid easy. So stop complaining about it and get it solved!

III% Streve -

It's clear that you would like to solve this problem by intimidating folks into not disagreeing with you. Cyberbullying is not going to make this go away.

In summary your point is that we should all wait and see if our drones crack. If they do, we should send them in for repairs.

There are a number of problems with that including what happens after the drones are out of warranty, and they crack. And, since knowledge of the problem is becoming wide spread, anyone who wants to sell their DJI drone is going to take a financial hit.

The issue is that it appears that DJI is selling defective products for profit. Basically, it appears that DJI is selling a product for profit that it warrants to be free of defects even though it knows the product is defective.

If DJI had a bad batch of drones, the appropriate response is to list serial numbers and replace the defective drones. In other words, accept responsibility for it's mistakes.

If the entire line of drones is defective, then, they need to do a recall, and replace the parts in all the P3s. Again, that would be accepting responsibility for it's mistakes.

All DJI needs to do is accept responsibility for its mistake and fix the problems at its expense.

That will make this topic go away, not cyberbullying.

III% Streve -

It's clear that you would like to solve this problem by intimidating folks into not disagreeing with you. Cyberbullying is not going to make this go away.

In summary your point is that we should all wait and see if our drones crack. If they do, we should send them in for repairs.

There are a number of problems with that including what happens after the drones are out of warranty, and they crack. And, since knowledge of the problem is becoming wide spread, anyone who wants to sell their DJI drone is going to take a financial hit.

The issue is that it appears that DJI is selling defective products for profit. Basically, it appears that DJI is selling a product for profit that it warrants to be free of defects even though it knows the product is defective.

If DJI had a bad batch of drones, the appropriate response is to list serial numbers and replace the defective drones. In other words, accept responsibility for it's mistakes.

If the entire line of drones is defective, then, they need to do a recall, and replace the parts in all the P3s. Again, that would be accepting responsibility for it's mistakes.

All DJI needs to do is accept responsibility for its mistake and fix the problems at its expense.

That will make this topic go away, not cyber bullying.
If stating facts is "cyber bullying" then you need to get off the internet! It couldn't be more obvious that you have put forth zero effort in actually LOOKING for a solution. Your only intent is to make yourself feel good by bringing something to everyone's attention that we already have a very firm grasp on. We all, DJI included, knows there is a cracking issue. And it has been addressed in a perfectly acceptable fashion. If you choose to pretend all that doesnt exist then its on you, and all the others that choose to ramble on about it rather than take the simple step to get yours repaired.

I propose the establishing of a new stupid internet term... cyber crying. Simply defined as going on and on about the mundane while blaming establishment for ones own shortcomings.

Reactions: Meta4
Doesn't look
If stating facts is "cyber bullying" then you need to get off the internet! It couldn't be more obvious that you have put forth zero effort in actually LOOKING for a solution. Your only intent is to make yourself feel good by bringing something to everyone's attention that we already have a very firm grasp on. We all, DJI included, knows there is a cracking issue. And it has been addressed in a perfectly acceptable fashion. If you choose to pretend all that doesnt exist then its on you, and all the others that choose to ramble on about it rather than take the simple step to get yours repaired.

I propose the establishing of a new stupid internet term... cyber crying. Simply defined as going on and on about the mundane while blaming establishment for ones own shortcomings.
III% Streve-

"Stupid" "Cyber crying" Come on dude, you are just trying to bait us so that you can get attention. Stupid of me to have responded to you. Have a nice day.

I understand your frustration hola hey but DJI has a solution for anyone with an affected shell. Does it suck that it happened, well sure it does. Did it happen to everyone? No it didn't. They have offered to help affected people so they have not left anyone with a broken Phantom. When an auto maker finds a production problem they don't exchange all the affected cars, they fix only those who make a lot of noise about it. If it is a safety issue, the feds may make them recall a vehicle and they are required to fix it, not replace it. My Honda has an exploding air bag unit in it that could KILL me, Honda will not give me a new Element, but they will exchange the defective part for free. Same for DJI.

So I think this horse has been beaten to death several times now. Lets close this up and move on to better things. ;)

Reactions: Bigskyflyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj