The cracks keep coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We noticed cracks on a P3 at our club on Sunday morning. He emailed dji about it Sunday afternoon, Monday lunch time he got a rma form back to fill in from them. Booked the return into DHL on Tuesday for the p3 to go to the Netherlands from the UK. Wednesday morning DHL picked it up, it arrived at Holland this morning and he got a email to say it had had arrived, by lunch time he had another email to say it had been approved for warranty repair. By 3 this afternoon he had another email to say it had gone into repair and was being done. His next status will be its shipping back to you. How ever slow dji have been in the past you have got to take your hat of to them now cos they seem to be turning this rma round really fast. Seems there new repair centre for Europe is doing well.

Ok i hear you msinger but how is it possible? In other industries that is benchmark. They don't have quality control and assurance processes and tools? Not to replace all of the P3s of course but on a voluntary bases and only the defective production batches IDed by the individual SNs like we do in the Telecom industry for smartphones and accessories. There are international best practices for all of this.

Can you list out a couple comparable multirotors with lesser problems so we all know what to compare this situation to?

I really have to chuckle when folks are talking about cars that kill people.....wow! 400K P3's have been sold and, cracks and all, they have proven to be more reliable and safe than any consumer multirotor every produced. That doesn't mean they are perfect - but just better than anything else ever produced.

There are literally thousands of points of potential failure in a P3 - the cracks in the plastic happen to be about the most benign of all of them...

One gets the feeling that the next big failure being complained about is going to be the decals peeling off...

We have definitely entered a new era in what consumers expect. Up until about two years ago hobbyists were happy if a machine didn't crash every outing or two. Reliable camera quads of this type have only existed for about a year..18 months at the longest.

And yet people expect perfection? Let's compare to cars - show us the models that existed 2 years after the first car and we'll talk about the level of perfection attained.

I challenge anyone to show me calculations proving that the design of the shell holding the motors is correct with enough margins to take torque stresses.

Can you list out a couple comparable multirotors with lesser problems so we all know what to compare this situation to?

I really have to chuckle when folks are talking about cars that kill people.....wow! 400K P3's have been sold and, cracks and all, they have proven to be more reliable and safe than any consumer multirotor every produced. That doesn't mean they are perfect - but just better than anything else ever produced.

There are literally thousands of points of potential failure in a P3 - the cracks in the plastic happen to be about the most benign of all of them...

One gets the feeling that the next big failure being complained about is going to be the decals peeling off...

We have definitely entered a new era in what consumers expect. Up until about two years ago hobbyists were happy if a machine didn't crash every outing or two. Reliable camera quads of this type have only existed for about a year..18 months at the longest.

And yet people expect perfection? Let's compare to cars - show us the models that existed 2 years after the first car and we'll talk about the level of perfection attained.

My Gold sticker is coming off my P3P!!!! Err it could cause a severe paper cut not to mention the emotional distress! I'm afraid to fly now! as it mite cause the drone to spin out of control!!! I want a new one and I want it now! a class action lawsuit needs to be started! Live long and prosper... WAFJ

Reactions: bobmyers
Most people do not have this problem. For those that do, DJI is offering to repair them for free. Considering they already made design changes to resolve this potential issue, I don't think there is much more we can ask of them.
Just curious.... what are the specific design changes you refer to made by DJI???

Just curious.... what are the specific design changes you refer to made by DJI???
I think the "X" reinforced motor mounting arms is one example.
I think also the less powerful motors contribute to less shell cracking.

After 7 flights I have cracks under 3 of my motor mounts. P3P is just 2 weeks old. Is this just the way it is going to be? Get cracks send it back and wait? Any good thoughts on self repairs or don't buy another one? DJI if you're reading, pick a finger, I did not spend my hard earned cash to have to play with customer service (word is yours sucks) are we going to put up with this or start recommending not to buy DJI Phatoms?
They have grown so big they cannot keep with servicing their product. Had mine 1 1/2 months when I shipped it to be repaired.

I challenge anyone to show me calculations proving that the design of the shell holding the motors is correct with enough margins to take torque stresses.
Are you trying to make a joke, but simply lacking skill? The second you can provide me calculations proving that it isnt, I will show you where you screwed up the basic math.

Hi Streve,

I respect your knowledge but question to a question is not an answer.

Forum is to help people resolve issue through discussions and not by shooting them down.

See the above post, numbers of failures are growing beyond limits, that's one indication of a design problem.

You got offended by my challenge as if you were the designer of the DJI product. Don't take it to your heart.

Let me explain you the mathematics in layman's language so that all can understand. Take a plastic plate with an integrated tube. Try to bend it down until it cracks. Note down the force at that point. Reduce the height of the tube in the next experiment and get the results again. You will see that more force is needed to crack it now. Extend the experimentation until height of the tube is zero and you see just a hole on the disc. Repeat the experiment and you would realize that force needed is extremely high. That's the catch. Motors should be mounted directly on the plate with four holes to get the best results.

Now you see what is the change in the new motor design. :)

I took your 'challenge' and called you on it. You don't have the ability to prove, or disprove anything in regard to what you asked for. Thus its a pointless ploy intended to do nothing but argue. Its a typical liberal game that has no place here, or anywhere. Its far better than obvious that there is no lack of structural integrity simply because there are literally hundreds of thousands of P3 air frames in customers hands. Yet only a few dozen at best that have crack issues. Attempting to make it more that what it really is is a game you wont win!

The legal costs far outweigh the benefits of a suit to recover your money. That would be a no win venture.
You can sue Pro Se and corporations need to respond with an attorney. You can represent yourself (Pro Se) they cannot and it would be more expensive for them. You would likely win however this does not fix the problem. How many does this effect ? How many actually have this problem.

I have explained enough. If you don't understand its your problem.

Yet only a few dozen at best that have crack issues. Attempting to make it more that what it really is is a game you wont win!
Is it really that few units that have experienced cracks? It seems like that number might be low based on what's been memorialized on the forums.
I had stress cracks on my P3 Pro, sent it in and had it back with a replacement bottom shell within 2½ weeks.
I honestly had no idea I was one of only a few dozen Phantom owners to experience this... I feel like maybe I should buy a lottery ticket! [emoji6]

I feel your frustration. I had a crack on my unit after 7 flights also

And guess what... my unit was just sent back to me from DJI for repairs of cracks!

I almost want to try and sue somehow and get my money back!

Martin, we shouldn't have to void our warranty just to insure not to get these cracks that are obviously design flaws.

That is why there are class action lawsuits. The cost to an individual of a lawsuit over this is too high. So, a class action lawsuit let's a group of folks sue on behalf of the class. Lawyers like them because they get huge attorney fees. Companies hate them because it keeps them honest.

In a situation like this, we are all losing some resale value on our drones due to what appears to be a fairly widespread problem. So, there would be grounds for the class action.

If you are well and truly pissed, look on the internet for class action lawyers, and let them know what is going on.

It's a design issue, so many would have cracked. Only DJI will have the info. Not sure why some one says only few dozens have cracked.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
It's a design issue, so many would have cracked. Only DJI will have the info. Not sure why some one says only few dozens have cracked.
Because its true! There are over 30000 members on here. Even if you were to ignorantly say that only 10% of those here have P3s, and went and counted the actual number of people that have reported cracks, you would have WAY less than 1%. DJI is selling far beyond 30000 units a month now. So sure, there are a lot of people with cracks, but from our VERY large sampling, less than 1%! Light bulbs have a higher DOA rating than that and no one is crying about it. [personal attack removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gold sticker is coming off my P3P!!!! Err it could cause a severe paper cut not to mention the emotional distress! I'm afraid to fly now! as it mite cause the drone to spin out of control!!! I want a new one and I want it now! a class action lawsuit needs to be started! Live long and prosper... WAFJ

It isn't necessary to defend DJI by trolling folks who are trying to figure out how to solve this problem. DJI is a multinational corporation with lots of money and lawyers who can do that if somebody on these lists is saying something that's not true.

The cost of these drones takes them out of the category of crap that you expect to break. The marketing also creates an expectation of high quality.

The number of similar complaints about new drones cracking within a handful of flights is troubling. DJI also seems to recognize that there is a problem since they are making the replacements under warranty.

DJI should issue some sort of statement on this to let folks know the severity and extent of this problem. Until then, sarcasm and trolling is not going to fix anything.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
It isn't necessary to defend DJI by trolling folks who are trying to figure out how to solve this problem. DJI is a multinational corporation with lots of money and lawyers who can do that if somebody on these lists is saying something that's not true.

The cost of these drones takes them out of the category of crap that you expect to break. The marketing also creates an expectation of high quality.

The number of similar complaints about new drones cracking within a handful of flights is troubling. DJI also seems to recognize that there is a problem since they are making the replacements under warranty.

DJI should issue some sort of statement on this to let folks know the severity and extent of this problem. Until then, sarcasm and trolling is not going to fix anything.
They did make a statement. And it was attached to the announcement that they would take care of any P3 that showed signs of cracking. There is a problem, and there is a solution. Yet people still cry and moan for more. Its nothing but over entitlement and a pathetic gimmy gimmy attitude! If you sh!t is broke let them fix it. If it isnt broke then go fly it. If it was broke, but is now fixed, then go fly it. Its all REALLY simple!! The only epidemic involved is the exaggeration and crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers