Thankyou DJI for bricking my Phantom with this stupid update

I will certainly say this is bricking my phantom 3. I just lost out on a very important gig. My P3P was working perfectly fine with current software and firmware I had on. 1.1.9 firmware and 1.1.0 pilot. Now, all of sudden that they have DJI GO I kept trying to connect to camera view and app kept crashing. I assumed the app was offline or something because of the new DJI GO. I was so desperate for this gig I went to update newest pilot app which now can't be found on google play store. Only DJI Go can be found int the play store. I downloaded it, updated and installed it. Still crashing. Factory reset phone, Completely removed any DJI files off phone. Reinstalled, now it won't even connect to my P3P it keeps telling me "how to connect". I try clicking "equipment" nothing happens. I uninstalled app again. Reinstalled. Same thing. I CSC the phantom just to see if its connecting. Propellers fired up and p3 lifted up. I landed it and CSC again to kill motors. I don't even have the option to click camera view now. It just says "equipment" where camera view was. To me this is a plain and clear definition of bricking. I can't use my P3 at all because of a stupid update and whether its my phone or not should really not matter. It was working perfectly find up until this update. Now I'm forced to download newest firmware and see if that corrects my issue. **** DJI is really pissing me off now.
I was also having a problem with connecting to camera view....solved by enabling "allow USB debugging". No problem after that, HTH.

you can take a horse to water...

@Buckaye, why the apology, you reached the conclusion... just the long way round :)

The apology was really just empathy for Drew - it sucks when you're doing everything right and your stuff still doesn't work...

Reactions: Stephan
So nothing is "bricked". Your phone is just screwed up. That like saying something is new in box... only used for a month. You arent using the factory OS in your phone are you? Uninstall your DJI Go... then delete the entire DJI directory on the phone. Here is the older DJI Pilot..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9283620/DJI-Pilot.apk
Thought I would download the DJI Pilot app from your link, but my windows machine will not open a apk file.

I never upgraded software before event. I left same firmware and software that was working perfectly fine on my P3P. If you actually read this post and stopped trolling you would have noticed that. But continue to troll and continue to get reported doesn't bother me.

I enjoy all the opinions and perspectives when it comes to this forum. I'm not sure what a troll is but it seems that the veiled threat of "reporting someone" isn't very cool even if they haven't read all the details.

So what I've learned from all of this is to not upgrade unless there is an option you really need. Especially if this is a money making venture. Or upgrade if you only have a week to troubleshoot the soon to be discovered problems.

Again, I appreciate all the comments and especially about how troubleshoot all the issues associated with the upgrade process.

never change a working system...................
I discoverd two different versions of DJI-GO .apk without explaination of DJI
about 361 bits difference.........raison? who knows ?

So nothing is "bricked". Your phone is just screwed up. That like saying something is new in box... only used for a month. You arent using the factory OS in your phone are you? Uninstall your DJI Go... then delete the entire DJI directory on the phone. Here is the older DJI Pilot..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9283620/DJI-Pilot.apk

Let's be fair, his product is what we would call soft-bricked. A routine upgrade of software should not render a product non-functional, even in the short term. I'm struggling to get any functionality on GO also, and have had to reload firmware on both the aircraft and RC, wipe my android of all DJI files, chat with DJI, get them to send me a link to V1.2.0 (old pilot). Now I've also loaded the developer firmware onto RC/aircraft and am trying Litchi. All of that took a few days to sort out.

So, yes, the Phantom is very sophisticated and amazing hardware. The software side of this product is pretty rough.

Incidentally, I've emailed the guy runs Litchi five times with questions/concerns/suggestions. He responds back every single time.

I will certainly say this is bricking my phantom 3. I just lost out on a very important gig. My P3P was working perfectly fine with current software and firmware I had on. 1.1.9 firmware and 1.1.0 pilot. Now, all of sudden that they have DJI GO I kept trying to connect to camera view and app kept crashing. I assumed the app was offline or something because of the new DJI GO. I was so desperate for this gig I went to update newest pilot app which now can't be found on google play store. Only DJI Go can be found int the play store. I downloaded it, updated and installed it. Still crashing. Factory reset phone, Completely removed any DJI files off phone. Reinstalled, now it won't even connect to my P3P it keeps telling me "how to connect". I try clicking "equipment" nothing happens. I uninstalled app again. Reinstalled. Same thing. I CSC the phantom just to see if its connecting. Propellers fired up and p3 lifted up. I landed it and CSC again to kill motors. I don't even have the option to click camera view now. It just says "equipment" where camera view was. To me this is a plain and clear definition of bricking. I can't use my P3 at all because of a stupid update and whether its my phone or not should really not matter. It was working perfectly find up until this update. Now I'm forced to download newest firmware and see if that corrects my issue. **** DJI is really pissing me off now.

I agree. Good luck. After a long and frustrating chat with DJI they sent me a link to Pilot 1.2.0. Don't know if this will solve your problem, but here you go.

http://set3.mail.qq.com/cgi-bin/ftn...a0e0a4514054f504d524b50445f615f&code=44abcbe1

I agree. Good luck. After a long and frustrating chat with DJI they sent me a link to Pilot 1.2.0. Don't know if this will solve your problem, but here you go.

http://set3.mail.qq.com/cgi-bin/ftn...a0e0a4514054f504d524b50445f615f&code=44abcbe1
If it were every android user having the same issues I would totally agree with you about DJI. But it isnt. And the dev for Litchi has far less on his hands to manage than DJI ever has. So not really a fair comparison.

I enjoy all the opinions and perspectives when it comes to this forum. I'm not sure what a troll is but it seems that the veiled threat of "reporting someone" isn't very cool even if they haven't read all the details.

So what I've learned from all of this is to not upgrade unless there is an option you really need. Especially if this is a money making venture. Or upgrade if you only have a week to troubleshoot the soon to be discovered problems.

Again, I appreciate all the comments and especially about how troubleshoot all the issues associated with the upgrade process.
I think you have hit it dead on... save the upgrade for now... until all this furor dies down-- don't pay attention to some of the rude remarks. There are some great guys and gals here that are more than willing to help
Cheers and Welcome:) jump in and start reading-- a lot of good information here.

Reactions: Stephan
If it were every android user having the same issues I would totally agree with you about DJI. But it isnt. And the dev for Litchi has far less on his hands to manage than DJI ever has. So not really a fair comparison.

I agree that the Android experience has a lot of variance. However, I've run large tech companies and have a very good understanding of both customer service expectation

oops, didn't finish. The general reliability of the DJI software is round, and the customer service function lacks real expertise.

You are right, Litchi is a tiny company trying to make a single app for this community. However, from my point of view, DJI is a very substantial company with real technical assets. It is very reasonable to expect that my P3, when coupled with a DJI approved device (in my case a Nexus 7 II) operates when I upgrade per the recommendations of DJI.

Thats fair. But also to be fair... we all know that DJI absolutely BLEW UP as a producer and far exceeded their functional potential. Its easy to say something like... Hire more minions.. but from reading any 20 threads here its easy to see that the average minion is far from a competent employee in this field. I get the frustration, but WE decided to buy, technically beyond, cutting edge tech from a company that we knew didnt have the logistics figured out yet. In that, we owe them some leeway. They are, by far, the best product on the market. And nothing even in the works can compete yet.

This does come back to the notion that DJI favours Apple over Android... I have not ventured onto this debate previously, but when you consider one android device (Samsung) alone outsells the Iphone, this circumstance should not exist...

Last edited:
Thats actually nowhere close to true. Android updates have always happened prior to iOS. And there is typically, across most apps, more functionality to android apps than iOS. Right now.. Android version 2.0.1 iOS version 2.0.0. The ONLY reason people see issues with Android versions is because the app has to be functional across hundreds of platforms. Apple has basically 3, and they are all years behind current Android tech. Additionally, there are more independent Android devs than iOS.

Thats actually nowhere close to true. Android updates have always happened prior to iOS.

How long have you had a DJI product? Taking the P3 alone into account, DJI has released Apple several weeks ahead of android since release... I can't believe you made the above statement, it is common knowledge that iOS updates happen first... Live streaming only recently became an android feature while the simulator has never been on android at all...

I agree with the rest of your statement except the above.

regarding market share time released this article in April
upload_2015-8-15_23-12-30.png

Right now.. Android version 2.0.1 iOS version 2.0.0.

I dont think it is fair to compare iOS and Android versions, because they have never been identical there has always been slight differences. Coming back to the simulator or the live streaming, technically you could not say they were like for like when functionality was missing at the same time they had the same version number.

Ya but don't force us to use a new product if the other is working now my p3 is dead in the water just cause I broke my phone I need to update to something that is not working what am I do now

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4