Talk to an Antenna Guru , Been at this for over 40 years ( GW4LWD )

Reaction score
The are a lot of people asking different questions, and guessing a lot of the time .

take advantage of an actual antenna guru who does this for fun and has been doing it way past 40 years .

Reactions: Falcon900
Several Hams here too.
(hint, hint)

The are a lot of people asking different questions, and guessing a lot of the time .

take advantage of an actual antenna guru who does this for fun and has been doing it way past 40 years .

Share an image of your antenna on your P3 and maybe some stats.

Being a ham these days, only means that your knowledge of antennas can range from knowing where to buy one, to the ability to design, build and test one.
That's a large span of knowledge or lack of, depending on which way you approach it.

So what would you say is the best way to position the antennas. Pointing up evenly spaced apart from each other. Pointing up slightly angled away from each other. Or maybe one vertical one horizontal. Please enlighten me thee great antenna guru

Reactions: NoWheels498

Yes?
image.png

So what would you say is the best way to position the antennas. Pointing up evenly spaced apart from each other. Pointing up slightly angled away from each other. Or maybe one vertical one horizontal. Please enlighten me thee great antenna guru
All with the exception of option one would require bending the legs on the phantom and maintaining precise orientation (no change in yaw and directly in front of remote) to perform close to straight up and parallel.

Pointing up evenly spaced apart from each other, both vertical as the uav is vertical also (Pilot end) on the bird you can adjust the antenna to be vertical when the bird is in flight tilting forward to have the antennas still vertical , since the Phantom has 4 antenna then tilt two of them.

Polarity errors between antenna each end of the like will effect the signal, going from horizontal to vertical will have a phase error of -20 dB or a factor of 100 , this is the difference between receiving image or RC control or no image and loss of RC control at distance . so in effect the antenna tilts when the drone is in flight which is slant polarisation , will result on a signal loss just the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
What do you know about Moxon antennas??
moxon is a folded two element yagi , fold to reduce the size , this was used on uhf , bit it will work the same on other frequencies just scaled to the freq required . We produce them for UHF, you can see one we produced over two years ago being used on a 10 mile link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

moxon is a folded two element yagi , fold to reduce the size , this was used on uhf , bit it will work the same on other frequencies just scaled to the freq required . We produce them for UHF, you can see one we produced over two years ago being used on a 10 mile link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I thought the original applications were in the HF band? Its been a while. I did have one on 10metre. The bride called it the second clothes line and hated the look of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic