Talk to an Antenna Guru , Been at this for over 40 years ( GW4LWD )

they are a bit like the terminator @ set we did .
562b402052d64f4a397598b05a403377.jpg

035c65c7eb7bd40c3110d91c9e6fdded.jpg

This is what I'm rolling with at home atm, works beautifully, 2nd pic on a 12 foot pole

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

nice setup should be very good

Last edited:
There is lots of discussions about FPVLR antennas (circular wires) and DBS (magic white plate), can you explain the difference in these and what works better in real world circumstances?

nice setup should be very good
I don't know much about the subject, as my question will illustrate, but I am curious:- I can understand that those huge, powerful antennae can transmit a signal a much longer way than the stock antennae, but how does the quad transmit its signal all the way back without an equivalent boost?

I don't know much about the subject, as my question will illustrate, but I am curious:- I can understand that those huge, powerful antennae can transmit a signal a much longer way than the stock antennae, but how does the quad transmit its signal all the way back without an equivalent boost?
its because the Pilot end has huge Transmit AND receive power , not only from the Hi gain antenna but the RF amps ALSO amplify the Signal as well , So when DB did a 19 Mile flight with his P3 the combined antenna and RF gain at the pilot end allowed it to work , If you had stock antennas , this would not be possible . If we modified the antennas on the bird as well and put on there a small beam ( pointing back to the pilot.) type antenna the range would increase again by a huge amount. Like with the Voyager space craft , they put out a very small amount of power , so to receive them at these huge distance the antennas are also huge will massive gain and have a very low noise figure to enable them to receive such a week signal below the background noise.

Last edited:
its because the Pilot end has huge Transmit AND receive power , not only from the Hi gain antenna but the RF amps ALSO amplify the Signal as well , So when DB did a 19 Mile flight with his P3 the combined antenna and RF gain at the pilot end allowed it to work , If you had stock antennas , this would not be possible . If we modified the antennas on the bird as well and put on there a small beam ( pointing back to the pilot.) type antenna the range would increase again by a huge amount. Like with the Voyager space craft , they put out a very small amount of power , so to receive them at these huge distance the antennas are also huge will massive gain and have a very low noise figure to enable them to receive such a week signal below the background noise.

Agreed and I only amp one side, pointless (both sides hooked up) and find it works better as unless the c/lines are spot on it messes feed up but with one side it's unreal.

I need a full-wave antenna for top-band. I'm confined to a small apartment. Any suggestions? :D

yes doing both can upset the TR /RX path and then issues with timing .

What's an ideal or max length for sma lines? Think I've hooked up a 20m to N to SMA then a joiner then to antennas or amp etc, I know dBi is lost but how does the top end cabling stand up? Obviously better than standard but to what extent?

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 21.03.32.png
What's an ideal or max length for sma lines? Think I've hooked up a 20m to N to SMA then a joiner then to antennas or amp etc, I know dBi is lost but how does the top end cabling stand up? Obviously better than standard but to what extent?

at what frequency ? you can see tables that show the loss per meter before you actually do anything with it , simply the higher the freq the bigger the loss.

a bit like this chart above.

84e6538788f68e0c81cdcefb23725706.jpg

She's finished, neighbours be like "is he espionage'in" [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85][emoji85][emoji23]

Wow I like that ,can you give us some range figures, and how difficult is it to keep pointed at the bird.??

As PCdeveloper says the cheap Chinese yagis on ebay are useless!,... these two 7ele ones I am using are very well matched and do perform well , they are from the" turbotenna" nextg co. but with the supplied usb wifi dongle removed and then directly connected to the MIMO antenna ports on the P4 controller , very easy to keep pointed at P4 as not too narrow, I have them on a detachable ali boom that connects to the stand bar under the controller, of course 2.4ghz is line of sight and badly effected by wet leaves and trees!!, (microwave oven frequency...ish!!)

Hi there.
It can be a little hard to stay with the bird, but that is the key to getting some range.
I have gone 3 miles with good signal all the way, and only 180ft up. I get nerves that far out.

Hi there.
It can be a little hard to stay with the bird, but that is the key to getting some range.
I have gone 3 miles with good signal all the way, and only 180ft up. I get nerves that far out.
Phew , 3 miles out!, I would think battery volts might start to increase your heart rate?, from my qth location in a wooded clearing I can manage a mile, so need to try it in the clear to see what can be done, 73 G4IKI

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj