Talk to an Antenna Guru , Been at this for over 40 years ( GW4LWD )

Tell me the best rig for a home based setup [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

G8RXW here, caught the Amateur Radio bug at School and got my licence as soon as I was old enough. I used to play around with all sorts of antennae and made some real monstrosities! Best was a 3 element quad for 10m made by nailing wire to the walls of three rooms in the house [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirtybum
I put two Moxons in 2.4ghz on my P3P. Video is boosted 2 wats . So far it is working good.
Nice and small,and light weight. Have the Max range on Transmitter.
By looking at the video ,I may have them position wrong.:confused:

I also see a dipole antenna in the back of the vehicle, are they better then the 14dbi panels we are using??

Last edited:
The missing piece here has been the on board antenna system. I'm interested in Mr. Smart's approach although if you believe some of the previous posts (by a poster whose nic was 'RF engineer' or something like that) it may be that the antennas are steerable and much more sophisticated that they seem to be.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in distance - what I want is the ability to punch through trees. Have a pair of amps and both the DBlite and FPVLR antennas and one of these days I'm going to get around to putting them together. I've also found an interesting app / hardware combo called Oscium that attaches an (expensive) dongle to a smart phone and gives you a very sophisticated 2.4 GHz analyzer. For me, the test equipment is key since it can give you all sorts of insight that simply trying to fly a drone as far as you can will give you.

KL1SA

Reactions: dirtybum
in my back yard.
so far i lost every bird due to distance. LOL :D
10905984_1524029017868396_1734667427226672324_n.jpg

I put two Moxons in 2.4ghz on my P3P. Video is boosted 2 wats . So far it is working good.
Nice and small,and light weight. Have the Max range on Transmitter.
By looking at the video ,I may have them position wrong.:confused:

I also see a dipole antenna in the back of the vehicle, are they better then the 14dbi panels we are using??
you really do not need to mod the bird , its fine with the Terminator , as a Test I did a take off a P3 and a P4 off the ground remotely from 12.6 miles away ,this proved the uav antennas are good, only thing you could do is tilt 2 of them .

look at this .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice setup on those small Moxons , you should rotate one 180 deg , and fit corner to corner. should work very well , but use some semi rigid like RG405. When you mod the RC control and take off those paddles , you can use them on the bird as they are 4 x dipoles in phase , so like a collinear stack , just fit a coax feed to it and you good to go .

Last edited:
Any thoughts on J-Pole vs Dipole on the FM band for TX? Or is there a better home brew?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers