Takeoff/landing pad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
In the interest of having a safe/clean area to safely take off (and in particular, land) without any interference to the camera and gimbal, I'm in the process of constructing a wooden pad. I'd appreciate any suggestions on a design for it. An "H" seems abit bland and I'm thinking of a bullseye. Im also on the fence about whether or not I should add leds to it anywhere. Opinions?

Here's a pic so far, all i can show you for size reference is the props as my AC is currently on its way back from Dji after FPV repairs. What dya all think?
20181013_132851.jpg

The pad you have so far is very nice. Beautiful wood. Great job sir.

There have been lots of threads/posts about landing pads so you should be able to find good ideas and pictures. I've seen on here some really cool and elaborate pads with lights and the big H on them. Very creative and awesome stuff!

For me personally, I go for more portable. I've used those folding game boards, small roll up mats, etc. I guess its personal preference and your use case. That's when I want to practice precision landings. Most of the time I just hand catch.

Maybe an elaborate landing pad for practice at home, but a more portable one for taking on trips out in the field.

Last edited:
Yes......fold-able with plastic hinges and white......with a few adjustable legs just in case the grounds not smooth...and when its folded a nice handle would be nice.....Velcro would keep it closed when transporting....i have one ...but its a old game board....some guys merely use the floor mats outta the vehicle what works for one might work for others !

I doubt ill be "back packing" it anywhere really and this pad is light and easy to carry. My biggest concern is that, living in Canada, some of my flying (at least for a few months of the year) will be in snow conditions and I wanted a pad big enough to not allow the props to kick snow back up. I'm still not sure about lighting. Is it really needed? Not like I'm gonna be landing in the dark nor will I ever be far enough from the pad to need to see it in FPV and I'm not sure if adding anything electical to the pad might interfere with the AC's compass.

The "legs" are very simple and non adjustable but should allow the pad to sit fairly level on uneven ground and also to sit stably on top of snow. Just in the process of varnishing the underside to protect from moisture. Will finish the top once I've decided on a design.
20181013_142420.jpg

Also, speaking of hand catch landings, which I've yet to try, what's the best procedure? I'd think it would be safest to initiate auto landing, set the RC down to free up both hands, then catch the AC and hold stationary until the props auto shut off. Would that be correct?

Also, speaking of hand catch landings, which I've yet to try, what's the best procedure? I'd think it would be safest to initiate auto landing, set the RC down to free up both hands, then catch the AC and hold stationary until the props auto shut off. Would that be correct?
Simply grab the gear by one of the vertical sections firmly and hold down your throttle until the motors stop.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Oso
Simply grab the gear by one of the vertical sections firmly and hold down your throttle until the motors stop.
Somehow that sounds easier than it really is lol

Somehow that sounds easier than it really is lol
It is that easy- providing you have the AC in a stable hover just above eye level... given the proximity of the camera to the ground when it’s on it and the areas I’m usually flying from I would say 90% or my flights have been hand caught. Never a problem unless it’s gusty.

We all have projects we like to tinker with. I can see this is yours. Me, I use a backseat car floor mat. It is always with me and it can set on top of snow. What ever type you are making, make sure it is light and portable or you won't use it. One type I can think of would be a sheet of plastic that you can find at a hardware store. Cut it to the size you want. Get some plastic hinges so you can fold it up and put a handle on it. Paint it up as fancy as you want.

Looking at your landing pad I would be tempted to router an oval cutout on each edge towards the centre you can use as a handle. Will make it easier to pick up and carry.
Actually if you look at 2nd pic from the underside you can see that the legs themselves are a perfect handle for carrying.

The only reason i would make a hole in the landing pad surface would possibly be to install a pc desktop case type cooling fan in the very center which would be useful for cooling the gimbal if i have the ac on but not flying. And possibly an led lit fan which would add a nice bullseye lighting from above.

The only reason i would make a hole in the landing pad surface would possibly be to install a pc desktop case type cooling fan in the very center which would be useful for cooling the gimbal if i have the ac on but not flying. And possibly an led lit fan which would add a nice bullseye lighting from above.
Fair enough. It seems portability probably isn't the priority. Should look good when its finished.

Fair enough. It seems portability probably isn't the priority. Should look good when its finished.
Ya as far as portability goes, I simply need to be able to transport it easily in my vehicle. And the pad is light enough to easily be carried for hours which I'd never need that long to setup and fly. And I've decided against a center fan/opening. Would be counterproductive seeing as the entire point is to ensure the AC is safe from ground debris/dust/snow etc and it would just be something else the landing gear could catch on during a landing. So solid flat top it will be :)

As I've said, the main reason I want a pad with a design like this isnt for portability but for usefulness instead. I DO NOT want to hibernate my baby for the entire winter, and thanks to the great info in here, I know i can safely fly in cold temps as long as I make the proper preparations. Obvs on a clear sunny day, which we get plenty of here during winter, I want to be able to not only fly but not have to worry about takeoff and landing issues in snow and hand catches with gloves on could be tricky. This pad should work well :)

Ya as far as portability goes, I simply need to be able to transport it easily in my vehicle. And the pad is light enough to easily be carried for hours which I'd never need that long to setup and fly. And I've decided against a center fan/opening. Would be counterproductive seeing as the entire point is to ensure the AC is safe from ground debris/dust/snow etc and it would just be something else the landing gear could catch on during a landing. So solid flat top it will be :)
Also- fans have magnets which might cause problems for your compass.

Reactions: 3rdof5

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl