Take 10 minutes to learn about your props, could save your P3

Reaction score
You will learn the difference between P2 props and P3 props that is very important for the safety of your P3. Don't put P2 props on a P3. Also learn how easy it is to balance props. After watching this I'm worried about taking props on and off too many times. What are your thoughts?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I too watched this video not too long ago and found it very helpful. I took note about what he said regarding the props spinning on with less friction as he took them on and off more and more.... But I doubt it's an issue since DJI has designed it's backpacks so that removing the props is required. Having said that, I have yet to take my props off after putting them on for the first time...

I take my props off each time. The plastic works like the nylon in a nylock nut so it would seem that over time it will loosen. I'll keep an eye on it and if it seems like they are loosening I may swap in the second set. They are still pretty snug and after each flight they do require a bit of effort to remove.

They spin on very easy and just a small tug to tighten them. After a flight when I remove them, they seem a little tighter than when I put them one -- the torque of the motors apparently help the self tightening process..

I should have mentioned one of my props is more snug and you can't spin it all the way on, have to give it another turn or two before it tightens. Definitely not worried about that one coming off.

I have a Tradecraft case that accommodates the props left on. I remove them only when needed for maintenance or balance checks.

Nice video.

Don't over-tighten your props. That might ruin the grip of the composite props.

While I do tighten my props a bit more than on the P2V+ (they naturally "stick" a bit more anyway) just don't overdo it. Also, consider turning down the "active braking" in the settings. I've done that - not so much out of fear of the props spinning off, but to make the flight more smooth. It becomes a little less "dynamic" in the air - but smoothness is more important for me for aerial videography.

Does your Tradecraft have foam that comes up between the legs of the Phantom?

Nope buy they included a small piece of removeable eggshell foam to go there. I removed it because I use a UAVbits camera guard

Um he put the tape on the top of the prop? Wouldn't that mess with the aerodynamics of the prop? Probably best to put it underneath or even better to sand instead very carefully.

He also didn't mention to examine the props for cracks by flexing them a little and looking carefully.

Also, not really buying the vertical hub balancing deal. Not so sure how he measured really means anything? The weight of the prop even if it was just slightly off straight up and down will cause the prop to fall to the side. He did it once and the prop stood straight up as he happened to let go perfectly with the prop straight up and down. Also the inside of the hub is threaded with plastic. I doubt the plastic threaded weight is equally turned 360 degrees. This would explain why one part of the hub might be heavier than another part.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic