Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

You don't need data when you fly unless you want to stream live to youtube, which I never do. You just cache your maps before you go, or I turn my phone into a hotpot to load the maps. When I fly I put my iPad in airplane mode

What about your GPS sats? How do you get them?

What about your GPS sats? How do you get them?
The P3 (the AC itself) has its own GPS for flying and for returning home.

GPS in the mobile device is used for some optional features such as Follow Me or to manually change the location of the home point to the location of your RC.

Internet access is not related to GPS.

So, if I am not going to use the Follow Me I don't need cellular on the mobile device correct? When I move to a different site to fly the next day, the bird will automatically pick up the home point.

Oh yeah, I am a total newbie!!

So, if I am not going to use the Follow Me I don't need cellular on the mobile device correct?
"Cellular" and "GPS" are not the same thing. As I noted earlier, it's having GPS in the mobile device that allows Follow Me among a few other optional features. Basically however, you are correct. If you don't plan to use Follow Me, you generally don't need a cellular enabled device. (See more detail below)

When I move to a different site to fly the next day, the bird will automatically pick up the home point.
Yes, that's correct. The P3 has its own GPS and can set its own home point.

Oh yeah, I am a total newbie!!
Hopefully the bullet points below from my "tips" post will help to further clarify your questions. If you are interested, maybe read that entire "tips" post for lots of additional info. Cheers!

> Follow Me mode will not work if your mobile device does not have it's own GPS or is not connected to an external GPS device. Most Android devices already have internal GPS, so they are usually fine. With iPads, only the cellular versions have GPS and a data plan is NOT required. [Tethering an iPad does not transmit GPS data for Follow Me to function. Click here for more info on what to expect with different iPads / situations]
> Maps are not required to fly, though many find them useful. If you choose to use maps in the field, you will either need Internet access in the field, or cache the maps in advance.
> GPS satellites do not download map data!
> Your Phantom normally has its own GPS to know where home is located.

Oso:

GREAT info, thank you very much! Just bought a new Phantom 3s. Looking forward to flying, but very "obsessed" with reading and simulating. Thorough and quality info like yours speed things up a lot. Thanks again.

Oso:

GREAT info, thank you very much! Just bought a new Phantom 3s. Looking forward to flying, but very "obsessed" with reading and simulating. Thorough and quality info like yours speed things up a lot. Thanks again.
You're welcome sir. Welcome to the forum.

It's good to be obsessed with learning the P3, especially to avoid any issues that may have been easily avoided if you only had known.
Keep in mind when you are here reading the P3P/P3A forum that some of the advice may not apply to your P3S. May I suggest that you also read the P3S forum.
Cheers sir!

My Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0" works great with a couple caveats. Don't check the box to make DJI Go the default app and once you connect your tablet you have to go into settings, developer options, usb configuation, and change to RNDIS (USB Ethernet). Once you do that your good until you disconnect your tablet or turn the remote or tablet off. You can shut the Phantom down and change batteries with no issue. The tablet is fast and performs very well.

redmi note 4 great experience with my phantom 4 and dji go!! everything smooth and no lag!!!!!!!!!!!

i have the global version 8.1.6.0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.