Tablet Opinions for P4P?

Reaction score
My father-in-law received a P4P in a business deal at closing; since he had no use for it he very generously gifted the drone to me!

I'm looking at options for a display; currently I'm just using my smartphone (1st generation Moto Droid Turbo 5.2" screen). It works, but the app is buggy and the display is very small and not very bright.

I'd like to invest in a new tablet for the controller, but need some opinions from the community here.

The tablet will be dedicated solely for the P4P, so take that into consideration.
I'd also like to keep it under $200 if possible.

I'm looking at buying spare batteries as well...

Even with the drone being gifted, and that's the big ticket item here, I'm still looking at about $800 in accessories for just 3 spare batteries, a tablet for display and a nice weatherproof hard-shell case.

Let me know if you have preference of a certain tablet manufacturer/model.

Looking forward to joining the community here!

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used mobile devices here.

Let me know if you have preference of a certain tablet manufacturer/model.
My current favorite is the iPad Mini 4.

Reactions: UserAccessDenied
You can find a list of recommended and commonly used mobile devices here.

My current favorite is the iPad Mini 4.
Thanks,
That list is very helpful - I'm surprised how many tablets are NOT supported by DJI...
I am trying to free myself from Apple, but I guess I'll have to consider the Mini4 as a considerable option.

That's more than I wanted to spend, but I also don't want to skimp on the tablet and lose my drone mid-flight due to the android app/connectivity issues...

Thanks again!

Micro Center has the 2017 iPad for $299, same price as a new Mini 4, but better processing power and a better chipset. I'm probably picking up one today as my ipad Mini 2 is having issues handling the new DJI Go 4

I've never used android devices with the Phantom but have read pretty consistent reports from others that android is the red headed stepchild for DJI and they have a lot more issues.

I'd second looking at the Mini 4 or the iPad 2017. You're going to pay more than $200 for them but the Air 1/Mini 2 era devices are starting to show their age w/r/t the flying apps. My Air 1 struggles mightily with any of the advanced functions (e.g. active track or altitude) and even in standard flying I get hiccups at times even with all of the optimizations/background refreshes/etc turned off. The Mini 4 is the A8 chipset, the iPad 2017 is the A9 chipset. The Air 2 was replaced by the iPad 2017 model and it seems as if it isn't really any cheaper to go find an Air 2. $329 (or $299 if you can find that deal) is a nice tablet, 32GB, and should be rock solid for a while.

My personal choice is the larger screen of the iPad, I actually just ordered the iPad 2017 today to upgrade my Air 1. Especially since I fly a lot with Autopilot which is really geared towards more screen real estate. But the Mini screen size, especially if you are using Go 4 to fly, is great coupled with it is a lighter and a bit more well balanced. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31