Tablet choices - good screen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This question is really aimed at those pilots that have tried several tablets on their Phantoms.

I have an P3 Advance and have just used my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 tablet. Screen was not too bad in the bright light, but there was definite stuttering in the video feed. I believe the problem is in the tablet processing.

So, am looking at getting a different tablet

I am looking for something with pretty good viewing in bright light (will use hood) and no stuttering.

Have bought an iPad mini 3 64gb cellular, but haven't tried it yet (bad weather)

Also looking at maybe going for a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 or an iPad Air 2.

So of these, which would be best? Or something else that will fit the bill?

After bright screen (main requirement) and no/minimal stuttering (secondary rewuirement)

TIA

Sent from my SM-T805Y using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RichKleinforum
I have tried two Samsung Tablets. Neither is worth a crap for video. I am trying to stay on the android platform so I am thinking about the Nvadia K1 but they seem to be out of production. Fly Well My Friends

iPad Air first addition. Works great. iPad mini 4th works great but too small a screen for me. Never had an issue with either one.

Reactions: Jack1926
I bought the smaller version of the iPad Pro to use with my aircraft. So far, it seems exceppent. The screen is very good, and the processor is very fast. No lags, no application crashed, etc.

Reactions: mccraze
I have tried two Samsung Tablets. Neither is worth a crap for video. I am trying to stay on the android platform so I am thinking about the Nvadia K1 but they seem to be out of production. Fly Well My Friends
Then get the best, galaxy tab s2 9.7 is what I have and it works flawlessly

I don't know how you figured it has more support?, but I can tell you that the galaxy tab s2 has more capabilities that the ipad air 2

As it pertains to Phantoms, what capabilities does it have that an iPad air2 does not?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As it pertains to Phantoms, what capabilities does it have that an iPad air2 does not?

the AMOLED display on the Tab S2 makes for a better-looking screen, brighter and less glare, doesn't shut down when outside on a hot sunny day, doesn't shut down on a cold winder day, you can buy the one with less storage thus saving more money and just adding a cheap microSD card to make expanding storage easier, to save all your recorded videos, etc, 3gb of ram versus 2gb ram, should I go on? (All these reason pertain to the phantom usage in one way or another)

Reactions: Phantom George
Galazy tab s2 8" works great for me. Briliant display and smooth video downlink with a P3P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shammyh
All iPad Wifi-only models come without GPS. Required if you want to see where you are relative to the bird.

the AMOLED display on the Tab S2 makes for a better-looking screen, brighter and less glare, doesn't shut down when outside on a hot sunny day, doesn't shut down on a cold winder day, you can buy the one with less storage thus saving more money and just adding a cheap microSD card to make expanding storage easier, to save all your recorded videos, etc, 3gb of ram versus 2gb ram, should I go on? (All these reason pertain to the phantom usage in one way or another)

I would disagree on a number of points. I have flown 4 full batteries in my P3P in 95 degree weather here in Ft. Worth . Has never shut down on my. I have not had an opportunity to run it in bad cold, but I have down to 20 degrees or so, same thing, never shut down on me. 3GB of Ram vs 2GB means nothing if your apps are able to run just fine. iOS tends to be more efficient with memory management. Yes, if you buy a minimum storage iPad you can't fix your mistake with a microSD card, but I have never had a memory issue with my 64GB iPad Air2. Plus, its all the low res video anyways. Who cares about that. I want the high res video on the card in the camera. As to glare, have not had the opportunity to compare side by side, but the screen on the Air2 gets plenty bright, and I have no problem seeing it very clearly with a basic sun screen similar to the one that DJI seems for the smaller tablets.

So in my mind, the only real advantage is the microSD card (if you bought a 16GB Air), which is, in my mind, offset by the fragmentation in the Android market, the delays in getting updates from vendors, the less secure environment, etc. But to each their own.

And that is true, the WiFi only models do not have GPS, but thats why I bought an LTE enabled model. Lastly, build quality, is in my opinion, much better. I use the iPad for many different tasks, and the color fidelity, weight, thinness, all make it the right choice for me.

Reactions: CThruU and NCFlyGuy
I don't know how you figured it has more support?, but I can tell you that the galaxy tab s2 has more capabilities that the ipad air 2

I've used both the iOS app and the Android app and the iOS app seems more stable, and just generally nicer to use. I've also heard from others that it is also more supported by DJI

Not saying ipads aren't good, just saying the number of things I've read on here, if you search you can find different posts where ipad users have had their devices shut down do to heat or cold, and another advantage is the GPS that comes enabled, you have to have the data part on your ipad to have gps on it, you can put your edited videos in a micro sd card and show your peeps all your vids without clogging your tablet's internal space, etc

no comparison between apple and android when it comes to options. One is designed very easy, for elderly people and children, the other is designed for people that have general knowledge of PC's.
Itunes alone make it a terrible choice.

no comparison between apple and android when it comes to options. One is designed very easy, for elderly people and children, the other is designed for people that have general knowledge of PC's.
Itunes alone make it a terrible choice.

What a load of horse @$$;. One simply works 99% of the time, with higher quality hardware, the other is a fragmented mess that has a much lower corporate adoption rate due to management issues, security issues, etc. Sure, you can hack away, have greater control of some system settings, etc. But iOS has both a higher retention rate, satisfaction rate, and conversion rate from the competition. But it is more expensive. You get what you pay for. Where A good friend of mine works in IT support, they have significantly higher support costs with Android devices vs. iOS devices. They also have higher repair and replacement rates. In my IT department, after a long evaluation period, iOS was chosen and Android banned. I work for a major defense contactor, and security of the device is the number one factor in selection.

So go ahead and demean iOS users. I find it humorous that you feel the need to insult others on their tech choices rather than discussing the merits without insults. But since that seems to be your modus operandi, I will end with a comment you should understand. I guess there are a lot of children on this board.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You do not need to have a data plan to enable GPS. It's works fine without if. If you want wifi for maps, you can hotspot from your phone. Works either way.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic