Tablet choices - good screen

iTunes is also not required, though on my Mac it works just fine with no issues. Probably user error....cause I thought Android users are superior technically, never could understand why they can't figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
So go ahead and demean iOS users. I find it humorous that you feel the need to insult others on their tech choices rather than discussing the merits without insults.
Funny you say this, and then you go and say that...

Probably user error....cause I though Android users are superior technically, never could understand why they can't figure it out.
So who is insulting who?

+1 for the Samsung Tab S2. I did try an ipad mini 2, but the display was a bit on the dim side. It did also heat up quite a bit but never shut down on me.
The display on the Tab S2 is very good indeed by comparison, just has to be on Auto-brightness to get full brightness in sunlight. I use a (home-made) shade but still find the bright display indispensable
I'm not knocking the iPad, it's a actually a nice, well-made piece of kit, just not suitable for this application. The mini4 apparently has a brighter display, but I am happy for now with the Samsung.

Needed to speak at a level you you initiated and understand. That's all.

What a load of horse @$$;.
Wow all this emotion over a simple electronic device! All this fan boy arguing has probably caused the op who asked the question to tune out by now.
But to summarize for him: iPad tablets work great and they have nice brilliant screens. Android tablets with specs comparable to iPad (CPU & video) also work great. Nvidia K1 is well regarded but apparently out of production. The Galaxy Tab S2 8" & 9.6" are also highly praised on this forum and have beautiful displays.

I don't know why people knock Android or Samsung. Often people don't compare like for like. Obviously an older tablet won't perform as well as a newer one.
I have used the Galaxy S5 and S7 edge - both perform perfectly. I have also used my brothers TAB S and again perfect.
OLED screens are definitely the way forward the quality is stunning.
IMHO though NO screen is anywhere near good enough in sunlight!
They can make screens that look awesome outdoors but then they look crap in the shop so nobody will buy them!

I use the Apple iPad 9.7 Pro and like it very much... but then again I've had every iPhone since day 1, an iPad Air 2, an iPad mini and currently a 27" iMac. Call me an Apple fan I guess....never messed with any Android devices enough to fully have an opion either way. I just know when I turn mine on they work. Probably can't can't go wrong with either platform.

Last edited:
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

yeah, should not have taken the bait...sorry. Just hate it when people start callin ya names because of your choice in a platform. Or inferring that your somehow technically challenged because of said choice. It's stupid, childish, and I should have just left it alone.

I don't know why people knock Android or Samsung. Often people don't compare like for like. Obviously an older tablet won't perform as well as a newer one.
I have used the Galaxy S5 and S7 edge - both perform perfectly. I have also used my brothers TAB S and again perfect.
OLED screens are definitely the way forward the quality is stunning.
IMHO though NO screen is anywhere near good enough in sunlight!
They can make screens that look awesome outdoors but then they look crap in the shop so nobody will buy them!
Does the Tab S have GPS? Also, if you're using a tablet with no internet connection what happens with the map screen?

I believe the tab s has GPS. that was one of the reasons I purchased it. I have only a wi fi version, however I remember reading on this site that you can download the map and use that. I have never tried that so do not know if or how well that works

Does the Tab S have GPS? Also, if you're using a tablet with no internet connection what happens with the map screen?
Most all the Samsung's have GPS, but to answer your question directly: Yes the Tab S does. Both the S1 and the S2. As to the maps, you have to cache them locally in advance of flying. Go to a place that you didn't cache the maps first and you have no maps.

I've used both IOS and Android. Currently using a 16gb Wifi iPad Air 2 until they release the Pro2 or the Mini 5 in a month or so when they release. Also have a Note 5 set up but I prefer more real estate on the screen but it works fine.

To answer your question about why folks get testy on this site...Here is why. I gave my real world observations on a platform, without slamming Android, and this is one persons response.
no comparison between apple and android when it comes to options. One is designed very easy, for elderly people and children, the other is designed for people that have general knowledge of PC's.
Itunes alone make it a terrible choice.
Sorry, but I am very PC and Mac literate, not elderly or a child. I should not have dignified this with a response, but I get tired of being denigrated over a choice in a tablet, and I have a very hard time biting my tongue when someone insults me. These types of responses, if not challenged, tend to continue. I acknowledge that Android is the better choice for some, just as iOS is. But how about we discuss the platforms in a factual way, rather than belittling ones choice because you disagree.

Reactions: BayouBill
Jeeze... And here I thought I was on a forum for adults interested in drones...

Ill throw in my vote for the Tab S2 8.0 w/ LTE. Good screen, good size/weight, and plenty of horsepower.

Also, while you can argue iOS vs Android until you're blue in the face, or until a mod shuts it down... It's very clear that Android is the better platform for DJI users. The two best 3rd party apps are both Android only. On top of that, while games and other stuff sometimes comes to iOS first, developers tend to try their new apps for the DJI SDK on Android first.

Also, fwiw, as an IT professional, I'd like to say that both Apple and Android ecosystems are superb. The whole Mac vs PC thing was fun when there was actually a difference between them. All mobile devices are heading for convergence, so maybe just be in awe at what science has enabled in the past few decades? Rather than dumping emotionality into international corporations that definitely don't care about you... Except for maybe how to best get into your wallet.

Reactions: Gliding Drone Pilot
I have used many, I honestly think the iPad mini has been the best, I will say in direct sunlight it can be a little hard to see but all I have used have that problem, but a hood fixes that immediately. I use the mini 3rd generation and I love it.

One of the best apps is iOS only, Autopilot. litchi is now almost feature comparable between the two platforms. What two best apps are Android only? In the apps I'm interested in I don't see the Android first thing that you mention.

As to user ease, other than people using older generation, non supported devices on both platforms, it seems to me there are a lot more issues with USB devices not being released properly, and processes not terminating properly in the background with various favors of Android than there are issues with iOS devices. Not surprising though with the huge assortment of hardware out there and the difficulty a developer has testing all the various combinations.

To each their own. That's why there is choice in the marketplace.

Last edited:
Everything I've read says the Nvidia K-1 is hands down winner,its made for gaming and everyone says it works great.

Just beware so some issues with marshmallow and the compass not working correctly. I believe it was fixed, but I'm not sure on specific versions that caused problems. There are a few threads here on the issue if you do a little searching. Other than that it seems most K-1 users are happy with it.

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the replies and info

Disappointing to see the topic degrade. This is a phantom group, not an android v ios group. I was after honest oppinions from those that have used several tablets, and know the pros and cons of the different tabs.

I am a Samsung guy, but the tablet I want will be dedicated to the phantom, so don't care what system it uses, as long as works and can see it.

Anyway, for those that are interested in the topic, I took by Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (cellular) and my iPad Mini 3 64gb (cellular) out in the sun, side-by-side.

The galaxy was slightly brighter than the iPad, but both were usuable, except in direct light.

I know the Galaxy stutters, and from all reports, the Mini doesn't, so the mini would be better choice.

However, after seeing all the favourable reports on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and preferring to have a Samsung tab if i could find one that fitted the task, I bought an S2 32gb (cellular) just for the Phantom.

Like the idea of the bigger screen.

Hopefully fine weather tommorow to try it out.

Will let ya know

Sent from my SM-T805Y using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj