iPad Pro 10.5" + P4P = Perfect Combo

It is not too big and to heavy for the remote that you hold in your hands for 20-30 minutes?
No, not at all, but it helps to use a neck-strap to keep it better balanced, and to allow you to use both hands, if needed, to hold the aircraft with one hand, while opening and closing a door with the other hand, without needing to set the RC down.:cool:

Yup - I use it without a neckstrap and it can be a bit tough/tiresome after 30 minutes but not bad.

In my experience, even the P4P+ display has issues in bright sun. I do use my iPad Pro when my selection of software requires it ... e.g. Mapping. In this case the drone takes off, flys and lands automatcally and all of the flight is well above all obstacles (e.g. Trees, towers, houses). Mostly, now, I find the image sharpness, brightness, and usefulness (able to track drone in VLOS mode and see DJI Go 4 App) is significantly better using the EPSON Moverio BT-300. Using polarized glasses might improve the readability of the iPad Pro display, but you still have to look down at the iPad and then up at the drone for VLOS purposes. It is hard to keep connected to both visual requirements in that mode.

When I looked at a teardown of the iPad Pro 10.5, what I didn't see is a thermal conduction path to the case from the CPU. My existing iPad Mini also doesn't have a way to dissipate the heat from the processor, which results in video corruption under the high processing load when downlinking video from the P4P (e.g. processor throttling under thermal load). Thus I'm very much afraid that the Pro 10.5 will suffer from the same issues when operating in high ambient temperatures this summer.

Right now I'm using Samsung device as a workaround, but it has its own issues with RNDIS over USB that requires a specific sequence of events to get the controller talking to the Samsung. It's annoying and I wouldn't mind moving back to an Apple device, but I don't want to waste time returning a Pro 10.5 if it is going to throttle just like the Mini.

If you see this issue it would be useful to comment on this forum. That said as we roll into winter I wouldn't expect to see throttling as an issue.

When I looked at a teardown of the iPad Pro 10.5, what I didn't see is a thermal conduction path to the case from the CPU. My existing iPad Mini also doesn't have a way to dissipate the heat from the processor, which results in video corruption under the high processing load when downlinking video from the P4P (e.g. processor throttling under thermal load). Thus I'm very much afraid that the Pro 10.5 will suffer from the same issues when operating in high ambient temperatures this summer.

Right now I'm using Samsung device as a workaround, but it has its own issues with RNDIS over USB that requires a specific sequence of events to get the controller talking to the Samsung. It's annoying and I wouldn't mind moving back to an Apple device, but I don't want to waste time returning a Pro 10.5 if it is going to throttle just like the Mini.

If you see this issue it would be useful to comment on this forum. That said as we roll into winter I wouldn't expect to see throttling as an issue.
The much faster processor should reduce the heat, and the much larger size helps dissipate the heat better than on any Mini. Should be fine.

I use an iPad Pro 9.7 with my P4P it's absolutely perfect. It fits the controller perfectly no adapter needed . Screen is perfectly viewable during the day with out issue

I'm not a fan of Android to fly DJI craft, but today I saw an ASUS V10 running Android and the brightness looked as good or better than an iPad air2. No telling if it works well with GO4, but the display was nice.

I use an iPad Pro 9.7 with my P4P it's absolutely perfect. It fits the controller perfectly no adapter needed . Screen is perfectly viewable during the day with out issue
Same here! The 10.5" will fit, too, but tightly, as the bevel was simply made smaller while keeping the exterior to within a mm or two of the 9.7" iPadPro.

I received my iPad Pro 10.5" to replace an iPad Air (original) and finally got a chance to test it out in bright sunlight.

Flew at 4pm in MA with bright sun at an angle and was very, very impressed with the screen. Totally viewable in direct light and even better with just a slight turn to cast my shadow on the screen. Screen is also viewable in landscape (and portrait) orientation with my Maui Jim polarizing sunglasses on.

I had zero drop outs/green screens which were a very regular occurrence with the iPad Air. Booted up with the DJI Go app and then flew with Litchi as I was doing a Waypoint mission. Both worked flawlessly.

Found a replacement mount that took 2 minutes to install (kept the original metal mount but just swapped out the plastic holder). The iPad fits perfectly now but the new mount cannot fold forward all the way. Instead the top and bottom flatten out and it can be laid out horizontally. Still seemed like a 'cleaner' option than the 3d printed extenders I've seen where the iPad ends up at a funky angle. Link to one I purchased - Amazon.com: Drone Fans Upgraded Phantom 3 Standard 3A 3P and Phantom 4 Inspire 5.5 - 9.7 inch Phone Tablet Extended Holder with Metal Bracket: Toys & Games

Yes it's a $650 tablet but it really is a perfect combination with the P4P and is a huge step up from the original iPad Air. Between the tax write-off and selling the old iPad for $150, it actually wan't too bad an upgrade either.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about buying the new iPad Pro.

E

Will the extended mount still fit in the usual backpacks or cases most people use?
Can you show how you have the RC controller packed in your case??

Was waiting for the crystal sky 2000 nites to be release but instead after hearing about all the crashes i went ahead and got a apple iPad pro. It just made the fit on the stock controller but man it is so nice and clear and way bigger. I think just the quality of Apple's screen ( glassy look ) will still out beat the flater screen look on the crystal sky screen. And what's the since of having a superbright screen if it always crashes during flight...

Was waiting for the crystal sky 2000 nites to be release but instead after hearing about all the crashes i went ahead and got a apple iPad pro. It just made the fit on the stock controller but man it is so nice and clear and way bigger. I think just the quality of Apple's screen ( glassy look ) will still out beat the flater screen look on the crystal sky screen. And what's the since of having a superbright screen if it always crashes during flight...
Not to mention that the iPad Pro is also a fully functional iPad Pro, when not used as a DJI tablet. The CrystalSky not so much! It's dedicated to DJI use only, at a premium price, and only runs Android! :eek:

Not to mention that the iPad Pro is also a fully functional iPad Pro, when not used as a DJI tablet. The CrystalSky not so much! It's dedicated to DJI use only, at a premium price, and only runs Android! :eek:
True, there are limitations to CS. Word is with the recent firmware and app update they just started to allow a limited number of third party apps. It's unclear how that's going to work, since there is no PlayStore app in the tablet. Without PlayStore how would you pay for an app and then acquire to load? Is DJI going to facilitate this through their own website?

The 2000nit display version is what I'd like to see in operation, in broad daylight. That might alleviate me wearing my dorky looking umbrella hat for shade. I'm also interested in see CS play 4K video straight from the drone's SD card and put up direct to a 4K TV via HDMI, something you can't do today very easily.

The CS is self powered, detachable, and can act as a video player to immediately replay JUST FLOWN missions, in 4K through the HDMI port. That's what I want to see someday, as I'm told CS will do this now with recent firmware/software updates. If it will really do those two unique things, you can't get that anywhere else to my knowledge, Super Bright display, and 4K replay from SD to 4K TV via HDMI. $850.

Last edited:
True, there are limitations to CS. Word is with the recent firmware and app update they just started to allow a limited number of third party apps. It's unclear how that's going to work, since there is no PlayStore app in the tablet. Without PlayStore how would you pay for an app and then acquire to load? Is DJI going to facilitate this through their own website?

The 2000nit display version is what I'd like to see in operation, not only in broad daylight. That might alleviate me wearing my dorky looking umbrella had for shade. I'm also interested in see CS play a 4K video straight from the drone's SD card and put up direct to a 4K TV via HDMI, something you can't do today very easy.

The CS is self powered, detachable, and can act as a video player to immediately replay JUST FLOWN missions, in 4K through the HDMI port. That's what I want to see someday, as I'm told CS will do this down, with recently firmware/software updates. If it will really do those two unique things, you can't get that anywhere else to my knowledge, Super Bright display, and 4K replay from SD to 4K TV via HDMI. $850.
Pricey! For $749 you can buy a 12.9" iPadPro with 64GB of memory! The largest CS is only the size of an iPad Mini 4!
Apple12.9
An iConnect device will allow you to play back the 4K video directly from the microSD card for under $25. A $25 shade will allow you to use the 12.9" screen in direct sunlight, and the iPadPro functionality as a superior laptop is free! :cool:

a 12.9" iPadPro is plenty big enough for examination and sharing
Hah, iPad won't work for a crowd at a function unless you combine that with Apple play, and I don't think that supports 4K. There's value in immediate 4K projections of aerial shots at an event within minutes of the flight to a large audience, if you have the right venue with a 4K screen. That's something that's rarely done today because the CS hasn't been able to do that, until recently.

Hah, iPad won't work for a crowd at a function unless you combine that with Apple play, and I don't think that supports 4K. There's value in immediate 4K projections of aerial shots at an event within minutes of the flight to a large audience, if you have the right venue with a 4K screen. That's something that's rarely done today because the CS hasn't been able to do that, until recently.
The newest Apple TV supports 4K.
About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K
Of course you have to have shot in 4K, too! ;)

Last edited:
The newest Apple TV supports 4K.
About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K
Of course you have to have shot in 4K, too! ;)
OK good, Apple TV may be an option. So now I need the SD adapter for the iPad, I need to take a new Apple TV device to the function (how do I pack that in my backpack?), I'll need an AC outlet near the TV to power the Apple TV device (potentially hard to get to in many cases) so I may need an extension cord for 120VAC power. I still don't have the super bright screen for daytime flying.

Seems like a lot of hassle versus a little extra money for the CS. We'll need to see how the CS display really looks in person, in broad daylight, to see how much brighter it really is. The Florida Drone Supply comparison pictures look promising, but I'll need to see it in person to really appreciate the value of the screen. One event job could justify the CS $850, if the venue has a giant 4K TV or display.

My church recently bought a huge 4K display for their stage backdrop. It's about 30' wide and 10' high. It looks incredible with 4K video. Everything has to be 4K because the screen is so big. These kind of "stadium screens" are getting cheaper for large venues, so I expect demand for aerial 4K video to increase for things like corporate functions, outdoor weddings, special events (sailing, biking, running, promotions), etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Sorry if this is a stooo-pid question here (I have P3P)...
I was told that the Pro 10.5 WiFi only doesn't have GPS, if so are you guys flying without GPS on the RC or did you have to get the Pro 10.5 (or 12.9) WiFi + Cellular ???

Sorry if this is a stooo-pid question here (I have P3P)...
I was told that the Pro 10.5 WiFi only doesn't have GPS, if so are you guys flying without GPS on the RC or did you have to get the Pro 10.5 (or 12.9) WiFi + Cellular ???
The craft has it's own GPS. That's how it sets home point. iPads without cellular don't have GPS, so this inhibits your ability to reset the home point AFTER the craft has been launched, in case your homepoint has changed (such as flying from a boat that drifts).

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1