Tablet choices - good screen

Hi guys,
Some of you have stated that the Samsung Galaxy Tab s2 9.7 inch, wifi only, does not have a gps. I have one. I can turn the gps on or off at will. Without any wifi, or Internet, my Galaxy Tab s2 can find my location within 50 feet in about 5 seconds. Try it, you will never go back.

Just for information.
Cheers,
Joe
KC7GHT

Well if you want the best screen then the Galaxy S2 is the tablet your looking for!
I run an S2- T-710 and it's GREAT! Blows the doors off all four of my Apple devices, especially in Sunlight.

Remember, your device is multifunction - reading data is best on a screen you can see without a magnifying glass; you not only use your DJI GO app to fly, it's also used to view, edit, create and store your videos, photos, and pictures. As for a GPS on a wifi only pad, just set up a hot spot with your iPhone and pare it to your pad, that should work. Enjoy!

Remember, your device is multifunction - reading data is best on a screen you can see without a magnifying glass; you not only use your DJI GO app to fly, it's also used to view, edit, create and store your videos, photos, and pictures. As for a GPS on a wifi only pad, just set up a hot spot with your iPhone and pare it to your pad, that should work. Enjoy!

This does not work! It will give you wifi and real time maps, but GPS data IS NOT shared in this way. You need a separate Bluetooth gps or you primary device needs GPS If you want follow me or the ability to reset home point to your current location.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was a die-hard android lover, but because GS is only supported by iOS, I swallowed my pride and got a mini iPad.

It has a few shortcomings .... Like no SD slot, but the most noticeable features to me are.

-awesome battery life...relatively speaking
-it's lbuilt like a tank. With a metal case
-more reliable.

It WAS supposed to be for flying only, but now it's used all of the time.

If you need more storage, there are micro SD adapters that plug into the iPad charging port... No problem

I have a Galaxy tab 8.4 and an S2 and both work fine on my P3A. I am not sure the S2 is much better at twice the price. I used a cheap tablet when I started that was invisible outside and realized that when I could see the screen where the camera was pointing, I new where the front was and could find my way home. Much better flying when you know where your going. Slowly learning to fly right.

My choice is the iPad Air. Bought a Samsung Tab A 8", not bright enough in daylight. But my iPad is too big in its case to fit in holder so had to try something else for a reasonable expense.

This does not work! It will give you wifi and real time maps, but GPS data IS NOT shared in this way. You need a separate Bluetooth gps or you primary device needs GPS If you want follow me or the ability to reset home point to your current location.

+1! :cool:

I'm procrastinating so bad on buying a tablet dedicated to use with the Phantom. I've been going back and forth between the mini iPad and the Air. Finally decided to go with the iPad mini. I've been ok with the size of the screen on my phone so the mini iPad will give me more than enough screen. Went to Verizon last night and can get the mini 2 for $150 or the mini 4 for $280. Finally decided that i would get the 4 with the thoughts that the 2 will be the next model that Apple stops supporting and the extra processing power in the 4 would be helpful. Then i was reminded how much I can't stand dealing with salesmen. Instead of just getting me what i want he thought it was a good idea to try and talk me int the Pro. No, no, no don't need it, the 4 is perfect for what i will use it for. But this, but that from the salesman, so goodbye, no sale. Now I'm glad I walked out because the mini 5 will probably be out in September and maybe the 2 will go away and 4 will become the "cheaper" model. So, i'll deal with my phone till then and see what happens.

Reactions: htownphantom
I'm procrastinating so bad on buying a tablet dedicated to use with the Phantom. I've been going back and forth between the mini iPad and the Air. Finally decided to go with the iPad mini. I've been ok with the size of the screen on my phone so the mini iPad will give me more than enough screen. Went to Verizon last night and can get the mini 2 for $150 or the mini 4 for $280. Finally decided that i would get the 4 with the thoughts that the 2 will be the next model that Apple stops supporting and the extra processing power in the 4 would be helpful. Then i was reminded how much I can't stand dealing with salesmen. Instead of just getting me what i want he thought it was a good idea to try and talk me int the Pro. No, no, no don't need it, the 4 is perfect for what i will use it for. But this, but that from the salesman, so goodbye, no sale. Now I'm glad I walked out because the mini 5 will probably be out in September and maybe the 2 will go away and 4 will become the "cheaper" model. So, i'll deal with my phone till then and see what happens.
Hmmm Verizon? Have you considered going with a Wi-Fi-only model? Seems like the logical way to go especially if it is going to be dedicated to the Phantom. Best Buy has Mini 2 on sale for $230 now and no contract to pay for. You don't need data service to get the map. Just cache it at home before going to the flying site. Also you could use your phone as a Wi-Fi hot spot.

I have considered the Wi-Fi only but figured the $10 a month for service was worth the convenience. I'm going to try my wife's iPad air 1 Wi-Fi only. Just so I understand. To cache I turn on cache maps in background. Hook everything up while on Wi-Fi and move the map screen around to the area I will fly in? And my second option is my phone as a hot spot and I'm assuming once I have the map on screen I can shut it off cause the map should be cached? Both options sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: impilot51
I have considered the Wi-Fi only but figured the $10 a month for service was worth the convenience. I'm going to try my wife's iPad air 1 Wi-Fi only. Just so I understand. To cache I turn on cache maps in background. Hook everything up while on Wi-Fi and move the map screen around to the area I will fly in? And my second option is my phone as a hot spot and I'm assuming once I have the map on screen I can shut it off cause the map should be cached? Both options sound right?

Assuming you do not want follow me or the ability to reset your home point, then a wifi model is fine. Otherwise, get a 4G model. You don't need to turn on data, but they include GPS!

I probably would not need those options but again just figured having the gps there if I wanted it was what I was thinking

Yes on all your questions. The caching works very well. Only remember to zoom in and out of the area of interest so you will have all layers cached. Wow, $10 a month is not bad. Does that include data service?

Yes on all your questions. The caching works very well. Only remember to zoom in and out of the area of interest so you will have all layers cached. Wow, $10 a month is not bad. Does that include data service?

Just tried the iPad air 1 and while it wasn't terrible it wasn't as good as my iphone 6. I cached the maps but while flying it was not constantly on the screen. i did not know about the zooming in and out before hand so maybe I'll try again. I also lost my video and RC signal at about 2500' away where in the same area i have been 3500' out without a problem on the phone. The $10 a month IS for the data service after I buy the tablet outright. (adding a device to my existing family plan) . They also offer no money up front and you can pay $22 a month for the device (iPad mini 4 price) plus the $10 for service but you have to commit to 2 years and the device ends up costing almost double what i would pay buying it outright. Oh yeah and did i mention I kind of got (very nicely) asked to not fly the drone in my local park ;( but i don't want to hijack a thread so thats a conversation for somewhere else I guess.

Oh yeah - the red arrow on the map (right hand corner) that shows the AC orientation was way off but the compass in the left corner also showing direction was correct.

Wow... Some good info on this thread but it's also filled with a bunch of bs. Why are there no videos on here from the apple dumpling gang? Some people talk the talk and other walk the walk. Here's my 2 tablets. The Verizon 10" was $100 bucks and the Shield was $200. I can't believe I read thru all of those pages of arguments between apples and androids... The walk is in the video's. Sorry but even though I own an iPad, I'm just not an apple fan.

This video shows a little towards the end

Reactions: ttalonso
Hmmm Verizon? Have you considered going with a Wi-Fi-only model? Seems like the logical way to go especially if it is going to be dedicated to the Phantom. Best Buy has Mini 2 on sale for $230 now and no contract to pay for. You don't need data service to get the map. Just cache it at home before going to the flying site. Also you could use your phone as a Wi-Fi hot spot.
Best Buy Certified Refurbished 64GB WiFi only iPad Mini 4's are $289.

Wow... Some good info on this thread but it's also filled with a bunch of bs. Why are there no videos on here from the apple dumpling gang? Some people talk the talk and other walk the walk. Here's my 2 tablets. The Verizon 10" was $100 bucks and the Shield was $200. I can't believe I read thru all of those pages of arguments between apples and androids... The walk is in the video's. Sorry but even though I own an iPad, I'm just not an apple fan.

Video of what? Of a flight? What will that prove?

I just love the the.name calling with no real data. Oh wait, there is a piece of data...your tablet lags some. Well, I prefer my tablet to be lag free..

Android users sure must be insecure. You don't see the Apole users belittling them on their choice of of tech. And you can go ahead and enjoy your laggy (your words from your video, not mine) but otherwise fine tablet. That's great for you, and I am glad you like it. I prefer my iPad Air2 64 GB Apple tablet. Not a hint of lag, great battery life and bright, excellent color gamut screen. And I don't have to worry about killing all my other apps before flying. It just works, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCrew
Video of what? Of a flight? What will that prove?

I just love the the.name calling with no real data. Android users sure must be insecure. You don't see the Apole users belittling them on their choice of of tech.

Seems he must think that the tablet is what defines the video?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl