Stress cracks on shell below motors

Reaction score
I was flying today and looked at the motors and noticed a bunch of cracks right below one of the motors on my p3 pro. All of the other motors are fine. Should i send it back to dji for a 8 week wait time or should i do a custom repair job with glue, then order reinforcement plates from amazon and install them.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1482975837407339130363.jpg
    1482975837407339130363.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,065
If it's under Warantee, send it back to DJI repairs. Why 8 weeks wait?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasquad
this happened on some of the first phantom 3 that came out.
I think DJI did some refinement to the shell and fixed the problem
some of the guys were using UAV Bits to correct this problem.
if your phantom is still under warenty send it back to DJI and you should have it back in a couple of weeks.
call them first to get a rma and a pre paid shiping lable.
good luck.

if your phantom is still under warenty send it back to DJI and you should have it back in a couple of weeks.
good luck.
They didnt resolve the issue, some owners have sent theirs back and forth 3-4 times for stress cracks. New bodies every time, but the cracks come back.

I was flying today and looked at the motors and noticed a bunch of cracks right below one of the motors on my p3 pro. All of the other motors are fine. Should i send it back to dji for a 8 week wait time or should i do a custom repair job with glue, then order reinforcement plates from amazon and install them.

Thanks.
Eight weeks? Why would it take that long? Where are you located. I had mine sent and back within two weeks from the East coast to the West coast and back. Shipping took ten of the twelve days it was out.
The reinforcement plates do not really work 100% of the time. Some with them still get cracks.

good luck.

I just sent my V2 P3 back to DJI with stress cracks, its being worked on as I type.
Turn around time about 1 week which is pretty good since its Christmas.

Thanks.
This is typical weakness of Phantom frame and main reason for softer braking implemented with 1.10.90 firmware update ... Whatever, if you're up the task you can replace the shell yourself. Patching with glue or reinforcing will not do any good, only avoiding sharp stops can help to eliminate the issue.

yes a classic case of a screws being to tight from the dji factory..days after getting my P3P I loosened those screws (half to 3/4 turn) to avoid any cracking issues.

yes a classic case of a screws being to tight from the dji factory..days after getting my P3P I loosened those screws (half to 3/4 turn) to avoid any cracking issues.
It is not the issue, even people that have replaced the shells themselves and took great caution on not over tightening the screws, the plastic still cracks.

This is typical weakness of Phantom frame and main reason for softer braking implemented with 1.10.90 firmware update ... Whatever, if you're up the task you can replace the shell yourself. Patching with glue or reinforcing will not do any good, only avoiding sharp stops can help to eliminate the issue.
Not true. The plastic glue seems to help. But what a pain and on a $1100.00 toy.

I have my drone on way back from repair at DJI.

The question is now, how do I improve the strength of the frame ?

I was considering opening up the shell and putting some sort of resin in each arm under the motors, any thoughts ?

That's pretty severe man.. I would send it in for warentee.. If it wasn't that bad I would say just do it yourself but being how deep, long, and how many there are, I wouldn't chance it.. The motor could rip right out by breaking away from the shell during flight. One of the guys on this forum had pictures of a motor that ripped complelty out of the chassis arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My never-crashed P3A has developed a crack under one motor. It is over a year old. Anyone know what DJI charges to replace the shell on an out-of-warranty P3A? I'll do it myself if it is too much. I'm in USA.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.