Still have never figured out why my P4P fell earlier this year, maybe someone here can help

Reaction score
Earlier this year I had my P4P fall out of the sky and I still haven't ever gotten an answer as to why. Was wondering if someone here wouldn't mind taking a look at this log. I just want some closure! DJI refuses to even look at the log or to offer any support. Drone was past warranty so they could care less.

Here is a link to the Phantom log viewer.
Log Viewer

Earlier this year I had my P4P fall out of the sky and I still haven't ever gotten an answer as to why.
A real quick look appears to be a lost prop. Possibly due to clipping a tree at the end of the flight profile. Will look more in depth when I get the chance.

1570733215608.png

Reactions: Hounddog
@Pipeliner_USA I think you were above the trees at the time of the incident, so I will rule an impact out. That said, it still looks like a lost prop. However, I might consider a bird strike. I don't see anything else in the data that would say anything other than a lost prop. If you recovered the aircraft, we could take a look at the aircraft .dat, if it is retrievable. Additionally, the device also records a .dat file. That might help more as well. See the link below to get that file. You will need to upload that one to a sharable site. ( dropbox...etc.. ) Retrieve a V3 DAT From Mobile Device

Well you beat me to ruling out Phantom Magnets.

phonex.jpg

Rod

Last edited:
@Pipeliner_USA I think you were above the trees at the time of the incident, so I will rule an impact out. That said, it still looks like a lost prop. However, I might consider a bird strike. I don't see anything else in the data that would say anything other than a lost prop. If you recovered the aircraft, we could take a look at the aircraft .dat, if it is retrievable. Additionally, the device also records a .dat file. That might help more as well. See the link below to get that file. You will need to upload that one to a sharable site. ( dropbox...etc.. ) Retrieve a V3 DAT From Mobile Device

I had VLOS the whole time. So did another guy who was there with me. It didn't hit a bird. All propellers were attached, and the battery only came out when it hit the ground and rolled a few feet away. yes i still have the aircraft.

Trees are Phantom Magnets, they some how work with the wind and suck your Phantom in to there arms, and the usually win the battle.

This was a Litchi mission at 200' AGL, It wasn't pretty when the tree let loose. :eek:

Rod

Earlier this year I had my P4P fall out of the sky and I still haven't ever gotten an answer as to why. Was wondering if someone here wouldn't mind taking a look at this log. I just want some closure! DJI refuses to even look at the log or to offer any support. Drone was past warranty so they could care less.
The flight is going well until 11:29.9 when there are sudden changes in pitch, roll and yaw data that indicate the Phantom has tilted backwards, rolled sideways and rotated clockwise.
The numbers increase and the drone is spinning a full rotation every 0.7 seconds, leaning heavily to one side and tilting forward and back as it loses height.

If collision and losing a prop have been eliminated, that just leaves losing a motor.
The cause could be the motor itself or the ESC that controls it.

If you talk to the right people, DJI would provide data analysis, but would charge for it.

Reactions: RodPad
Sounds like a severe case of Bad Luck. (Could be) There but by the grace of God......
Hope you haven’t given up flying, wasn’t your fault anyhoo

All propellers were attached, and the battery only came out when it hit the ground and rolled a few feet away. yes i still have the aircraft.
As mentioned, either the Device .dat or the aircraft .dat will give more details. Litchi's device .csv data as I said just does not have enough data to rule out certain things. It could indeed be a motor as mentioned above, but without additional data its only guessing. Even with the data it still might be a guess, but it would be a much better look to make that.

Reactions: JoBe
From my two previous with DJI customer dis-service you are wasting your time fooling with them. The do not mind deceiving or actually lying to shut you up. I'll never send anything to DJI even if it is in warranty!

This is what i saw in your logfile right at the end. Logfile.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: JoBe and Havasu Tom
This is what i saw in your logfile right at the end.
Those messages were after the tumble began. Irrelevant to the incident itself.

yes i still have the aircraft.
Along with the Mobile .dat as mentioned above in Post#3, the aircraft .dat will show much more data such as motor speeds..etc...which being that you mentioned the props were intact, could give a better description of the incident. For that file, the share site still applies, so see this link for instructions for that file: Retrieve Aircraft .DAT

@Pipeliner_USA,
Are you done?
Look for the data, ask for help.
You can't leave us hanging like this. ;)

These guys get commissions for helping us goof balls out! (well not really I got a nasty cold bug, its good thing I'm not at work)

Rod,
Is there an end to that story? Did you retrieve it? How

As I stated "It wasn't pretty when the tree let loose."

I have been waiting for @Pipeliner_USA to continue with his thread..
Before we take it over.. ;)

@Pipeliner_USA,
It is your turn, we are waiting... :);)

Rod

Reactions: Capt KO
@Pipeliner_USA,
Are you done?
Look for the data, ask for help.
You can't leave us hanging like this. ;)

These guys get commissions for helping us goof balls out! (well not really I got a nasty cold bug, its good thing I'm not at work)

As I stated "It wasn't pretty when the tree let loose."

I have been waiting for @Pipeliner_USA to continue with his thread..
Before we take it over.. ;)

@Pipeliner_USA,
It is your turn, we are waiting... :);)

Rod

Sorry guys, I will connect the phantom to my PC tonight and get the logs you said to look for. But guess what? I literally about 30 minutes watched my Phantom4pro I bought to replace the one we've been talking about, fall from the sky in eerily similar fashion. What are the odds both occurred while using Dronedeploy app and both occurred at 58% battery life? I'm done with DD app, p4ps, or both.

Reactions: RodPad
Sad. Both DOA? Let me know if you want to get rid of one or both for parts. Sorry for your loss, I can’t explain it. Hopefully the data from both can give you closure. Good luck

Sad. Both DOA? Let me know if you want to get rid of one or both for parts. Sorry for your loss, I can’t explain it. Hopefully the data from both can give you closure. Good luck

both dead. both 2017 manufacture dates. both after dji warranty expires.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl