So long Phantoms ...

Reaction score
If you're paying attention, DJI has formally announced it will discontinue supporting all Phantom models (except for Phantom 4 at least for the short future). I have 2 Phantom 3 Pros that I think are still viable 4k camera platforms but will probably try and sell both of them in a package deal. These machines were (are?) awesome performers and I'm quite melancholy about seeing them slide into oblivion. What's peculiar is I still have and fly my Inspire 1 v2 that has not been sun-setted (or did i miss this?) but can no longer obtain batteries for it.

Don't know what my UAV future may hold. A Mavic 3 without waypoints is a sticking point for me.

Your thoughts?

If you're paying attention, DJI has formally announced it will discontinue supporting all Phantom models (except for Phantom 4 at least for the short future). I have 2 Phantom 3 Pros that I think are still viable 4k camera platforms but will probably try and sell both of them in a package deal.

Don't know what my UAV future may hold. A Mavic 3 without waypoints is a sticking point for me.

Your thoughts?
I love my Phantom 3 Pro, but I see this as a ploy by DJI to get us all to buy new UAV's or so they won't have to develop firmware for the Remote-ID when it becomes mandatory.
They, "DJI", need to remember that it was the Phantom series that put them on the map, and has been their best selling UAV. I'll continue to fly my P3P as long as I can.

Just my 2 cents,
Art

If you're paying attention, DJI has formally announced it will discontinue supporting all Phantom models (except for Phantom 4 at least for the short future). I have 2 Phantom 3 Pros that I think are still viable 4k camera platforms but will probably try and sell both of them in a package deal. These machines were (are?) awesome performers and I'm quite melancholy about seeing them slide into oblivion. What's peculiar is I still have and fly my Inspire 1 v2 that has not been sun-setted (or did i miss this?) but can no longer obtain batteries for it.

Your thoughts?
Any idea how long it takes for an unsupported model to stop being viable or functioning? Hopefully a bit like old phones, they carry on working but you can't get new apps. My P3 standard is so stable it would be a shame to park it.

Reactions: ArtCox
Correct. If my Phantom performs well why would I need any updates at all? I haven't need that for the last five years since I bought my P4P, and I''m sure won't need it in future.
The only thing that makes me worry is, what to by when Phantom will come to its end.

Probably remote ID will be the thing that grounds most old birds, I expect there will be widespread "civil disobedience" on that point among recreational flyers, but Part 107 pilots won't be able to get away with it.

What I have done is create a archive folder on my computer and downloaded every Firmware and Document PDF I can fine on DJI's website. I did the same with my Yuneec Typhoon H 480 that has been discontinued.

Unsupported just means that DJI won't continue updating the firmware.
That has no impact on the functioning of the drone and isn't a reason to stop using the drone if it's doing what you want/need.
but - how long then will they support it for parts and batteries?

but - how long then will they support it for parts and batteries?
If your not flying the Phantom 4, you'll have to do what the rest of us do and go through Amazon or eBay for parts and batteries

>My P3 standard is so stable it would be a shame to park it.

I second that. I sure hope I can continue to fly my P3S for many years. It's the most reliable quad I have ever owned. I still see new batteries for sale for Phantom 3's...

Your thoughts?
There is a huge after market community right here on this app. -message board. In my opinion if you like what you have then keep it. You avoid installing the new mandated tracking chip in the drone for at least another year.

Reactions: Avocet
In'm not getting any bites so far and I've created a new conundrum trying to figure out Mavic Air 2s vsl Mavic 3 - a difficult comparison ..

Air2s. It’s a good unit as long as you can adjust to the Fly app.
That was my hardest issue when I got my Mini and FPV.
loved the go app but don’t care for the fly app.
Had my way I’d stay with the M2P but 🤷‍♂️
Id get another but from what I’ve read batterys are going to get hard to get and I only use OEM ones.

Air2s. It’s a good unit as long as you can adjust to the Fly app.
I'f I'm not mistaken, I'll be able to fly Litchi with MA2S ...NOT with M3 though, at least not yet. I fly Litchi about 80% of air time ...

• Wow
Reactions: AussieCate
I moved on from the Phantom series and the Inspire and went with a mavic zoom great drone for what I fly and compact enough with my 3 batterys smart controller and my Epson BT35E glasses but I still visit the web sites good people and still learn new things.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
That was my hardest issue when I got my Mini and FPV.
loved the go app but don’t care for the fly app.
Had my way I’d stay with the M2P but 🤷‍♂️
Id get another but from what I’ve read batterys are going to get hard to get and I only use OEM ones.
With customers like you, you'd think DJI would make batteries available for their older, highly successful models.

Unsupported just means that DJI won't continue updating the firmware.
That has no impact on the functioning of the drone and isn't a reason to stop using the drone if it's doing what you want/need.
But what about getting parts?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic