Lost Phantom, you're never going to believe why

FredMurtz said:
.....I did take a bad spill into some thorny citrus trees and bumped into a huge sleeping bobcat. When the big bush started vibrating next to me I knew something was coming out and I was just hoping it wasnt a mtn lion......
If you have wild things like that out there, be careful. Maybe you should be carrying a gun. At least you have a chance if one thinks you are lunch.
Sure hope you find it.

You might cover more ground if you just get high and try and do grids and then watch the footage back on the ground on a large TV. I fly grids in the forest at 100 metres and can pick out a normal orange road cone on the gopro video.
If someone with a groundstation setup was close by you can grid a large area really quick.

Day 4.

I wasnt able to get out to search today so I spent time tonight printing aerial shots to make a big map to mark off areas that I've already covered. I'd say 80% of the area has been searched, some places twice. A grid search is coming up as suggested.

I have 2 people coming this weekend to help with their Phantoms. I hope this will end the misery.

One question I have is from when I tested the low battery and RTH weeks ago, the Phantom started back to me on the 1st battery warning level (red light then green light alternating). When it went to 2nd level and the red light started flashing fast it would descend to land. Once it starts that final descent to land it shouldnt come back up or change course right? The last thing I saw was my Phantom with a fast flashing red light descending just over a roof of a house and it was going straight down. It appeared that it was going to be a hard landing and maybe some scattered parts but I thought I knew where it was headed.

Thanks

FredMurtz said:
One question I have is from when I tested the low battery and RTH weeks ago, the Phantom started back to me on the 1st battery warning level (red light then green light alternating). When it went to 2nd level and the red light started flashing fast it would descend to land. Once it starts that final descent to land it shouldnt come back up or change course right?

Yes, that SHOULD be correct. If it was, indeed, on it's SECOND battery warning, it should just autoland at that point. Period. I know on the Visions, you can abort the first warning using the app... can't even remember if you can abort the second. But it's a moot point since you were flying a P1 and, thus, weren't using the app. I don't know how the P1's handle autoland... maybe if you inadvertently toggled one of the switches it might have aborted?

Barring that, once it started to autoland, the only thing it may have been fighting is the wind, which might've blown it a bit. But I would imagine it'd still be in the general area that you saw it going down.

So sorry to hear it hasn't been recovered yet. I found that it's MOST frustrating on the days that you KNOW it's out there, but you can't do any searching. Had that happen with one of my smaller quads, and it sucks. I hope this weekend brings good news!

With the level of searching I see going on, I can't imagine you haven't found it yet. I would suggest that one of the residents of the houses around it's "down" point have taken possession of the device. I.e., it's stolen. What percentage of your thoughts are focused on that probability?

There was no wind that morning so it should have gone straight down. I did toggle to RTH when I saw the battery warning light and when it didn't respond I put that switch back up. That was the only switching I did to try and get it away from the homes.

Now here is what is bugging me. All the homeowners have been really helpful and cool. Only one made a comment about someone had been flying over their backyards and spying on them. Turns out this is the house where I last saw the Phantom. It also turns out the there is a guy who owns a Phantom who lives right above the guy who made this comment. Now if my Phantom landed in Phantom hater's yard or clanged off his house and landed in his yard it would make sense he might have ran out and grabbed it before I got down to his street. This guy was the 2nd person I saw when I drove down to get my Phantom but he did let me into his backyard to look around, so he was up early that morning. I don't want to confront him yet but I need to search his yard and pool again to make sure. I also want to fly over his steep terraced part of his backyard the I havent been able to search yet. If he is a jerk about it this may be where my Phantom went. I guess I could go to the cops but I'm sure if he hates the neighbor's Phantom he's already disposed of mine.

There is also one remote chance that it landed in his chimney. These homes have giant chimneys, like 4 ft across. It would be a million in one shot but when I line up where I saw it descend it was right where his chimney is. Most chimneys have an ember screen so it should be on top if that is where it landed. A quick peek will tell us if that happened.

from what I read, it's illegal to fly over someones property with out permission. I don't think the cops will help you. Just talk to the guy and explain your situation, and let him know you are offering a reward.

And if it's time to go talk to "Phantom hater", be sure to take along a tablet or laptop so you can casually show him some of your pictures and videos... might help to dissuade any fear that you were spying or doing anything other than trying to capture a nice sunrise.

ATOMSK said:
from what I read, it's illegal to fly over someones property with out permission. I don't think the cops will help you. Just talk to the guy and explain your situation, and let him know you are offering a reward.

Not sure about the illegal part of overflying homes, there is a local airport where I see planes all the time at 500ft taking off and landing. The PD here has a plane they use to patrol over our homes also.

As far as a reward, these are million dollar+ homes. My small reward isn't even pocket change for these folks. I was offering $100 and willing to negotiate a little higher but I can't afford much more.

Good idea on the showing people my videos and pics. I have made sure to explain to the homeowners that I was filming the sunrise and NOT flying over their homes. They all know the lookout point and many hike up to it. I was kind of surprised that none of them really cared or challenged me about who I was, only the Phantom hater guy challenged me to prove who I was. He took a pic of my truck license plate when I offered that to make sure I wasnt casing homes. Some have walked me through their house and some made me go around to the gate. Some have just turned me loose on their property and some have stood there with me until I left. Some people are way too trusting. I guess they figure the whole neighborhood knows me now as the goof who lost his quadcopter so it's not like I'm sneaking and fooling anybody.

On flying a grid search, what would be the best angle for the camera? Straight down or slight tilt? Maybe fly it 3x to get both angles and a straight down view? I have not used FPV before so I have no clue on what is the best time of day for light or angles etc.

Thx.

You described a lot of trees and bushes and underbrush... so I would think at least one pass (if not several) with a slight tilt, so you can start the see under all that stuff.

Though, if the Phantom did auto-land straight down, it's going to be on top of that anyway, so a straight down view might do it for you. Really tough to say.

I'd shoot the entire grid straight down... and if it doesn't turn up anything, fly it again with a different view.

Really sorry to hear your story and thanks for sharing. Where is this that you were flying, Riverside or San Bernardino? I have walked all them moutains and it used to be hard to find a Bobcat since they are so shy and your other animal run ins might be of interest to the folks who live in those homes. Their cats and dogs are at risk. Perhaps suggest that you are trying to help with that problem by finding bedding and trails they use.

I doubt anyone is keeping your phantom and at this point all the pools have been cleaned so no need to ask to look in the pools, find the pool cleaners, ask them. It is so easy for a item falling from the sky to hide itself in a hedge or other bushes, and contrary to what has been said in this thread, most the time we are closer then we think, not further away. Although at this point I would think you are looking at all locations.

As you have tried to involve the neighborhood that is your best bet. Since you think you have id'd where it might have gone down a good searching of those grounds is important. Talk to the home owner, tell them 'bout the Bobcat and coyotes that are watching from above.

Try not to notice how "hot" the owners of the houses are, stay focused, this isn't a Penthouse Forum story. good luck.

In the meantime you have lost a version 1.1.1 with zenmuse h3--3d and gopro.. (what version go pro)

Call your auto insurance company and tell them what happened and that you expected your insurance to cover you loss. again good luck.

I feel for you I just found my Phantom after flying out a little to far.It hit a tree and dropped into 6 foot tall grass and briars. It took me 2 days to find it with some help.I think this was a good situation for the Marco Polo or some kind of tracker. Hope you find it

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but as soon as you got into "trouble" with the coyotes, you could have switched off your transmitter to bring the phantom back home. One, you wouldn't have lost it, and two, the weird flying thing along with the noise might have scared away the coyotes.

Hope you find your bird.

FredMurtz said:
On flying a grid search, what would be the best angle for the camera? Straight down or slight tilt? Maybe fly it 3x to get both angles and a straight down view? I have not used FPV before so I have no clue on what is the best time of day for light or angles etc.

Thx.

If your flying with a gopro set the angle to wide so your getting the full FOV.

I would shoot at a 45 degree angle like this as it shoots such a wide angle you'll get some perspective from the shots anyhow. The bottom of the screen will be a straight down view

I've also got a lens that only shoots a 70 degree FOV and would probably like 2 grids with it straight down and 45

I thought I should post setting I use for my forestry inspections as it may help. I use a gopro3+ and set it at 1440, you can also set it to shoot video and take pictures at the same time. This is useful as the details in the pictures is pretty darn good. Flights are done at around 100meters or 330 feet. With the camera at a 45 you get an almost straight ahead and a straight down view.

Thank you, this is very helpful for the camera settings.

Day 6. Planned on searching with Jean and his Phantom today but he is tied up now. Rain expected tomorrow through Tues. Not looking good, I think the Phantom has avoided the sprinklers from what I've been able to search but the rain will get it for sure. I'm gonna go search on foot and hope the Phantom Gods miracle my azz.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone.

I was told by another pilot that a Lipo battery can explode in the heat and catch fire. We've been over 100F for several days and if the Phantom landed in tinder dry grass this could have been/be a big problem. Anyone have any experience with a Lipo exploding in high temps? I had my g/fs pepper spray asplode on me while driving her car, what high adventure that was on the freeway. It was rated for high temps like in Palm Springs 120F i think it said.

FredMurtz said:
.....Rain expected tomorrow through Tues. Not looking good, I think the Phantom has avoided the sprinklers from what I've been able to search but the rain will get it for sure.....
I thought it wasn't raining in California. The big drought. Raining like crazy almost everywhere else in US.
Also saw on news you get fined for using sprinklers. Or are these people so rich laws don't apply to them?
Hope you find it!

I've got a couple more properties to search by foot on the far edge and them I'm done. Time to move on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4