Situation when stick down more then 3 sec

Reaction score
Please help for the following situation:
If I'm at a great height and I want to descend quickly, usually I would make a complete withdrawal of the left stick down and I held him in that position ...
My question ... if the control stick left longer than 3 seconds in the lower position - engine will stop and phantom fall???
Second variation> left stick down and right stick forward??? Will the engine stop and fall down???

1. No, if you're descending, the Phantom knows that and will not shut down the motors. It has to not register a loss of altitude for 3 seconds before it shuts down.

2. It's never a good idea to descend straight down, and an even worse idea to hold the stick down all the way. You're bringing the Phantom down quickly in its own prop wash, which can cause it lose lift and tumble out of the sky. DJI has dropped the descent rate several times because people keep doing this, but it's still fast enough to happen. Always descend slowly, while moving forward/backwards/sideways at the same time.

TeamYankee said:
Don't try and fly a spiral downwards... I did that and the combination stick command bit me and I powered off the quad in flight!

:O

Wow. I'm surprised at the number of people pulling ANY sticks into the corners on descent. Maybe I'm a total slowpoke (OK, I KNOW I am, but still), but when I descend I'm rarely ever more than 1/3 from center on either left or right stick, and I always come down in a slow spiral or alternating back/forwards. It's really fascinating to see the diversity of practice here, and it gives me some personal insight into why DJI has been making the recently limit changes in firmware...

ElGuano said:
1. No, if you're descending, the Phantom knows that and will not shut down the motors. It has to not register a loss of altitude for 3 seconds before it shuts down.

Note that (according to DJI's documentation) while holding the throttle stick fully down for 3+ seconds won't stop the motors, it will initiate an auto-land sequence...the quad will continue to descend on it's own, and will continue to do so until it senses that it has landed or until you counter it with positive throttle.

OI Photography said:
Note that (according to DJI's documentation) while holding the throttle stick fully down for 3+ seconds won't stop the motors, it will initiate an auto-land sequence...the quad will continue to descend on it's own, and will continue to do so until it senses that it has landed or until you counter it with positive throttle.

Wouldn't this be ideal for any one of us that want to land without incident?

(also a good way to videotape the landing, just in case something goes wrong) DJI wont be able to say "operator error"

my phantom2 wouldnt do a full descent and move in any direction.it takes me to do
a slower descent if I want to move as well which can take forever to get down,
to the point the battery is getting low.going straight down is the only way it
will come down fast which seems to be what you shouldnt be doing.oh and to
add when I first got mine I was coming in for a landing while turning (about 30ft up)
and the motors powered off landing heavy and smashing the battery.

Just had this happen to my DJI PV+. I purchased on the 16th May 2014 a DJI phantom vision 2 plus from quadcopters.co.uk which was fantastic, and lots of fun and very easy to use. That is until the other day. After setting up ready to fly calibrating the GPS and having green lights I started up the vision. Whilst ascending and upon reaching approximately 200ft-300ft I saw that the altitude sensor was reading a minus -50ft and did not alter. I still had a video feed and control at this point. I then began to decent the vision as I knew something was not correct only for the motors to completely cut out and my vision turned upside down and plummeted to the earth. I managed to turn the motors back on the normal manner for the last few seconds but unfortunately too late for it to not cause damage to the rotors and the camera and maybe the main board as I dare not fly since for safety concerns. The construction of the vision is very good and it has not completely destroyed the unit but the camera is tilting to the left and it says the compass needs recalibration. It had the latest software on. Before this time it flew perfectly and I have descended many times. I returned to quadcopters.co.uk and they said if you hold the left stick down for three seconds all the way the motors will cut out and it tells you so when you updated the software. I now have a £1000 plastic plant holder.

blackdog57 said:
they said if you hold the left stick down for three seconds all the way the motors will cut out and it tells you so when you updated the software. I now have a £1000 plastic plant holder.

Ask them to prove this, as it is incorrect. The stick will not shut off the motors in intelligent mode, which all P2's and P2V's are set to by default. As long as you don't manually change that (which would require going in to NAZA-M mode on the software), you shouldn't experience the shut down you did.

If you connect your phantom to the software right now, you can confirm that is in intelligent mode, and explain this to the vendor and see what they say.

When I asked dji why I was able to shut the motors down
During a fast descent their only reply was dont do a fast descent.so what,two minutes to go up,twenty to get back
Down :s

OI Photography said:

Has anyone tested this? I missed that in the docs. And I've never held the left stick full down in the air either.

848phantom said:
When I asked dji why I was able to shut the motors down
During a fast descent their only reply was dont do a fast descent.so what,two minutes to go up,twenty to get back
Down :s

At a lowly 1.5 m/s, you can descend close to 600ft in under 2 minutes. I think that ought to be plenty.

ianwood said:
OI Photography said:

Has anyone tested this? I missed that in the docs. And I've never held the left stick full down in the air either.

I don't know if it's been tested intentionally (I haven't), but I've seen anecdotal evidence from people who have reported odd behavior on descent that would be explained by triggering the auto-land without realizing it. I may throw my 8045 props back on and test it the next time I think of it.

OI Photography said:
ianwood said:
OI Photography said:

I don't know if it's been tested intentionally (I haven't), but I've seen anecdotal evidence from people who have reported odd behavior on descent that would be explained by triggering the auto-land without realizing it. I may throw my 8045 props back on and test it the next time I think of it.

Interesting! I think this is one of those things that a lot of pre-P2 pilots will never run into, since we've long had it beaten into our heads to never descend full throttle down :)

Mine seems to half the descent speed as soon as I move.straight down is usually the quickest way to get down.need to get an fpv system setup so I can see the figures.
Just seems like it takes forever to come back down again.

848phantom said:
Mine seems to half the descent speed as soon as I move.straight down is usually the quickest way to get down.need to get an fpv system setup so I can see the figures.
Just seems like it takes forever to come back down again.

Keep in mind that (controlled) descent speeds will always be a fraction of the possible ascent speeds, just due to the physics at play with this type of aircraft

OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:

Auto-land sequence? I can't find that.

Doono said:
OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:

Auto-land sequence? I can't find that.

Yeah I didn't know about it until I spotted it in one of the NAZA/Phantom manuals, I'll try to find which one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT