Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

I didnt do much FPV before the motor upgrade, but I have gone through some testing since getting the motors with some different props. First attempt was with some other carbon props 8x5 graupner clones and they were well built and all but I lost lots of lift with them and struggled to get 4 minutes fly time with FPV and 8 minutes just the phantom and no camera. Then I went back to DJI props which I just filed down the square notches and got them to 8mm where I used some 8mm to 5mm spacers. I was getting just under 10 minutes with just a gopro and filter before going FPV, I will need to check my older videos and try my current setup in the same config to get a proper comparison between before and after.

These worked quite well and I straight away noticed the extra lift compared to my first carbon props. FPV setup fly time was around 7-7 1/2 minutes and I only just got the other carbon props today and found I was getting 8 to 8 1/2 minute fly time out of it. These times are max run times where it comes to auto land so take a minute off for safety if flying further away, I generally come back with 2 minutes total fly time left and then just fly near by for a bit. I am sure that my paint job added some weight to my setup even though I sanded down the shell a bit before painting, so I was quite pleasantly surprised at my total flight time as the setup is atm. I also pretty much always use a filter or just the blurfix adapter to both reduce jello unless very dark and also protect the lens a little if I happen to have a crash or rough landing. Seeing I have only lost about a minute and a half with FPV using 2200mah batteries to before FPV I think this is pretty good. I also have a couple 2700mah batteries that fit inside the battery compartment though only just but I havent tried these on the latest setup. I was getting a minute and a half more out of them then stock batteries before so likely close to 10 min with FPV or 8 1/2 minutes very safe flying times.

The motors are a little more efficient id say not hugely but every bit counts, I think the DJI versions are stated at 10% more then stock motors. Mine arent a direct replacement and they are mt2216 900kv with a 5mm prop shaft, they are quite easy to install if you are good at soldering. I got a friend of mine to do that bit but basically all you need to do is unscrew the original motors and screw these in. Then we de-soldered the original wires and soldered these on, you need to note rotation and this can be seen by the phantom cover markers. If the motor is spinning the wrong way you simply change 2 of the 3 wires and it will spin the other way. The motors come with long cables and bullet connectors but I chose not to use these in order to save a little weight and reduce one more possible point of failure. Fitting in the shell was fine as the openings are quite large and these are just a little taller but the same diameter I am pretty sure as stock so no need to mod the shell in any way. Only mod to the shell I have done is so I can put my FPV cabling inside so I drilled an extra hole for it. I only have the cable for the TX and gopro coming out with the power cable in the battery compartment to easily connect to my batter via the balance plug.

The motors come with some prop nuts but I decided to scrap these and just use basic lylock 5mm nuts as recommended by the guys at the hobby shop. Easy to put on with a socket and they wont come off unless you want to take them off, and this is easy enough if and no need for loctite.

Tiger motors do make a version that is a direct replacement and also has a dji style prop shaft so you can use DJI props with no issues. I was hoping to have something I can easily experiment with different props to hopefully find something I like, the DJI shaft makes this more awkward then using a round shaft. But using stock props means you will need to mod them, and use 8-5mm adapters to be able to use them. Also the DJI replacements mn-2214 920kv where only available OS where as my local hobby shop had the ones I had in stock at a fair price.

Dont expect miracles from the motors but they are slightly better and I hope more reliable through better build quality, many people are using these in f450 and f550 quads and I will likely do the same at some point. My upgrade was due to one original motor going bad and I figured I may as well upgrade them all rather then keep replacing with the same ones. You can possibly just upgrade bearings on the stocks but I went my way for the heck of it and to get away from the DJI shaft. ;)

Thanks for that excellent write up. Very helpful for my constantly whirring brain!

It does seem like squeezing out any more flight time is a struggle with the Phantom (+ bits). To be honest with the cost involved in upgrading the stock motors alone it does seem like a F450/F550 frame transplant maybe better long term value in the 'flight duration' stakes. Just a painful shame to lose the 'compact' nature of the Phantom so I'm not sold on it yet.

My thinking is £220 gets you a F550 frame, 6 motors (sure they are the same as the Phantom ones but it'd give me 4 spares!), 30a ESC's and 6 props. A chunk of work to transfer it all but that'd almost double the payload oppertunity.

Food for thought as they say!

I am thinking of the f450 or f550 upgrade route down the track, I actually got 5 of the tiger motors to keep one as a spare just in case. One more and I already have plenty of props I could get the 550 just needing the ESC's and a couple other bits like a separate GPS antenna.

Though I dot really want a 550 as its a bit bigger then I want and I am quite happy with 8 minute FPV flights but I wonder how this will go with the gimbal. The 550 is also quite a bit heavier so it will lift more with 6 motors and props but flight times wont be much greater. You can always use larger batteries but I dont think I will be flying a camera bigger then a gopro anytime soon so will stick to the phantom til I break the shell. Then I will look into f450 or f550 but leaning more towards 450 for size. Phantom is really an ideal size for carrying it around just not big enough to stuff all I want into it and the battery compartment is really my biggest issue and this could easily be modified for a larger battery I think.

Maybe I may upgrade to the phantom vision shell giving a bigger battery compartment and more room inside the shell all together but keeping the phantom size pretty much. Then just work out what battery size will be the best power to weight wise and stick with that.

mercillus said:
Wirewolf903 said:
Very nice..I flew over town lake in Austin Texas this weekend while Kayaking with the family. I've flown over water serval times and only had the gopro back door float on. I've tried the pool noodles before n they effected my quads flight causes strange vibs visible on video. I see your are very thin, have u noticed a change in flight or vibration?

Anyone tried mounting the gopro out a bit further so it doesnt catch the landing gear? Can you post a pic?

Yes! I posted a comment on that here: http://www.phantompilots.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=5&p=7330

Here is one picture: I just cut out two small plastic strips of soft plastic from a plaster spreader, drilled holes on both ends, placed the plastic strips between my GoPro and the Phantom, and used two plastic screws and nuts to hold everything together. Another big advantage of this is that it allows you to mount the GoPro more in the middle of the Phantom between the struts. Also, this allows you to tilt the GoPro so that it faces straight down (but then the lower landing struts get in the way- but you can crop these out).

NuJE5bp.jpg

The plastic strips are circled, and the arrows point to the two plastic screws. Check on the original post how they are mounted, though.

I shoot mainly jpegs using a 10 second intervalometer setting on the GoPro- but the plastic strips do seem to reduce the jello effect on video too.

Yeah you need to be carfeul with how far you extend the mount. I went nuts and added like 5 gopro extensions once and the whole camera shock VIOLENTLY in flight... Jello to the point of being able to see the camera moving. It was quite funny and I learnt my lesson from it and proved how poorly balanced my props were! :lol:

tiger motors
8x4 carbon props
goodluckbuy brushless gimbal
super janky landing gear extensions (clothes hangers)

got the simensays landing gear, just wanting on carbon fiber tubes
to arrive from China.

Attachments

• 20130621_114829-1.jpg
    20130621_114829-1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,779
super janky landing gear extensions (clothes hangers)

"Super Janky" I like it :D

On a more serious note though, it looks like your top shell is not on correctly. It's hard to tell, from the photo, because
you have a "Mono finish" thing going on, but there should be two depressions in the top shell, that line up with the
bottom shell. (Where the red stripes usually go)

If the top shell is not installed in the correct location, the GPS will not function correctly.

Audaciter said:
On a more serious note though, it looks like your top shell is not on correctly. It's hard to tell, from the photo, because you have a the "Mono finish" thing going on, but there should be two depressions in the top shell, that line up with the
bottom shell. (Where the red stripes usually go)

If the top shell is not installed in the correct location, the GPS will not function correctly.

I nearly made that mistake after painting mine black, I had it just 90 degrees out and noticed it just before my first flight. Lucky as not only would the GPS be the wrong direction but being 90 degrees out also means all your props are reversed if you follow the directions on the shell.

Looks in the pic above he has it 180 degrees around as there are no depressions on the top shell facing the camera even though its bottom shell is facing forward to the camera. As I think of it I dont think the GPS would really matter if its facing the wrong way as its just an antenna its the compass you need to make sure its pointing the wrong way. Its possibly flipping the top 180 may have no negative effects in flight but 90 degrees would make it flip on takeoff with the reversed prop directions.

Yes, you would most certainly have control issues at 90 deg. off. I am not sure just how bad things would be 180 deg. off,
but better safe than sorry. I don't want to test it, especially in a RTH situation.

Thought I'd keep this thread alive. Loving the variety of mods people have done!

Mine is now tricked out with my shapeways gear (won't post a link cause people are probably sick of seeing it by now! :lol: ). I also did a very cheap and cheerfull colour mod. Just a bit of vinyl tape but amazing what such a subtle mod can do to the looks (was never a fan of the red).

Decision on the next mod is tricky... a second front mounted Status LED is the electronics project currently (learning Arduino). Design some quick release landing gear maybe so i take it in a rucksack/bike without a screwdriver.... oh and maybe buy a new shell so I can mod the hell out of it and have a spare! :mrgreen: (i can hear my back manager screeming now).

Here's some pics of my Phantom. Modifications include:

1) New landing gear with accessory rails (Simensays designed)
2) Zenmuse Hero gimbal
3) Fatshark transmitter
4) Garmin GTU10 tracker
5) AltimiterOne
6) CF props
7) Prop guards

Currently at 1330g. A bit heavy, but flyable.

Still deciding if I'm going to keep the prop guards or not.

Andy

Attachments

• phantom_070513_3.jpg
    phantom_070513_3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,695
  • phantom_070513_2.jpg
    phantom_070513_2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,603
  • phantom_070513_1.jpg
    phantom_070513_1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,531
I like the landing gear as it takes them out of the cameras view on the sides fully. Would the actual landing skids be further out then the stock legs as you have it setup?. I wonder if its possible to use shorter bases or spread the legs further apart to try and make sure they stay out of shot even when shooting straight down.

Do these legs have any effect on the compass?

I would do without the prop guards myself, but why are they all tied together?

I like the landing gear as it takes them out of the cameras view on the sides fully. Would the actual landing skids be further out then the stock legs as you have it setup?. I wonder if its possible to use shorter bases or spread the legs further apart to try and make sure they stay out of shot even when shooting straight down.

Do these legs have any effect on the compass?

I would do without the prop guards myself, but why are they all tied together?

The legs are adjustable. With the way I have them set now, I don't see them at all in the video, even when recording on "wide". I have them spread wider in the front than in the back (not parallel). I've made my skids longer than I originally planned (mostly in the back), and that seems to help a bit with the landings.

I've only flown in this config a couple times (upgraded to Zenmuse and new landing gear yesterday) so I can't say yet whether or not the compass is affected by the new legs. I'm still getting use to the difference in the flying dynamics with all this additional weight. The craft is a bit "twitchier" now, but that might be related to the additional weight, the counter-movement of the gimbal, and/or a center-of-gravity issue, rather than an issue with the compass.

The prop guards are a safety feature. I've already had one Phantom "fly-away" experience (recovered fortunately) where it landed near a park full of kids. With the guards on, it's safer in an emergency landing situation such as that. The prop-guards come with some string to tie them together, but I substituted the wire-ties since I they're stronger, more visible, and less likely to get tied up in a motor if they get loose. The guards are tied together so that those areas between the props are also protected from an arm/hand/etc. approaching a spinning prop from there. Ultimately, I'd prefer to not use the guards, but I think the added safety outweighs the extra weight (less than 30g).

ayanowitz said:

Andy

Looking great Andy!! Very interested to know what kind of flight times you can get with that setup/weight on a single battery.

DeweyAXD said:
ayanowitz said:

Andy

Looking great Andy!! Very interested to know what kind of flight times you can get with that setup/weight on a single battery.

About 5-6 minutes with stock Phantom battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav