Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

Reaction score
Anyone wanting to show off their custom painted, tricked out, or modified Phantoms to allow others to see what possibles in customization.

I'll start with my painted Phantom in a flat tan with flat black markings to mark the front. I have never liked the white and hope in the future DJI makes some other color options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 20,212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 19,776
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 15,726
Thanks, I let it sit for a couple days and its sticking to the frame very well. I probably should have sanded the frame down to ruff it up but it's looking pretty good so far. I have another I'm gonna paint up but still unsure on the color.

Nice! I love the case! I took mine to the lake kayaking today and now looking for a way to care all together in a backpack form. Today I just strapped it to the backpack for a quick solution but need something that will protect it more.

I'm over water usually, so if all goes bad I want a chance of getting it back, dead or alive. especially the go pro. I cut bright orange foam pool noodles 17cm long each, sliced to put the landing skid in. Back from the camera to keep them out of the frame, and a tight wrap of orange tape to pinch the ends into as aerodyanamic as I can make it and to keep them from falling off in a crash. My loaded quad with battery and camera is 998 grams, I put rocks in a plastic bag and this size of foam easily kept it floating. With my name in two places on the quad my chances of recovery have gone from 0 to 5%. A huge improvement :) Bonus: it keeps the Gopro off the sandy beach, it makes soft landings and I can see it better from away. Not bad for about $2! I'm not brave/stupid enough to try wet landings and takeoffs though. I may have to do one on purpose one day if I run out of juice, at least if I can set down gentle enough it shouldnt tip over.

Attachments

• DJI with water float.jpg
    DJI with water float.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 15,685
Reactions: captblast
Very nice..I flew over town lake in Austin Texas this weekend while Kayaking with the family. I've flown over water serval times and only had the gopro back door float on. I've tried the pool noodles before n they effected my quads flight causes strange vibs visible on video. I see your are very thin, have u noticed a change in flight or vibration?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 13,114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 13,025
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 13,011
Wirewolf903 said:
Very nice..I flew over town lake in Austin Texas this weekend while Kayaking with the family. I've flown over water serval times and only had the gopro back door float on. I've tried the pool noodles before n they effected my quads flight causes strange vibs visible on video. I see your are very thin, have u noticed a change in flight or vibration?

Anyone tried mounting the gopro out a bit further so it doesnt catch the landing gear? Can you post a pic?

You could set your GoPro to medium or narrow to frame out the landing gear (I also thinks this looks a lot better because you don't get the barrel distortion of the lens - but it requires smoother flying)

fourthline said:
You could set your GoPro to medium or narrow to frame out the landing gear (I also thinks this looks a lot better because you don't get the barrel distortion of the lens - but it requires smoother flying)

Didnt even think about cam settings lol. Thanks

Wirewolf903 said:

I used hot water pipe insulation foam tubes initially, they are thinner and nicer looking but didn't have the floatation of the pool noodles. I haven't noticed much effect on flight, the video is never the best when the quad is actively banking or accelerating. I thought about the gopro float but didn't know if it would keep the whole rig up. Do you know if it could? That would be less hassle and more aerodynamic.

mercillus said:
Wirewolf903 said:

Anyone tried mounting the gopro out a bit further so it doesnt catch the landing gear? Can you post a pic?

It was my first flight with that Hero3 and didn't mess with the settings. I did trim back on the foam covering my skids so they don't show in anymore shots. I just wanted to fly and wasn't concerned with the FOW at this time.

fourthline said:

Is that better than cropping the video afterwards to get rid of distortion? You'd need software that does that, but that gives you the option of keeping the wide shot when it works. I've noticed the fisheye look is most noticeable when the shot is dipping up,or down and the horizon is in the picture. When the quad is stable the fisheye kind of flattens out again.

pwright said:
mercillus said:
I used the arms from the GoPro roll-bar mount kit to give me a little more length and be able to get vertical shots without the landing gear. Should also help with other angles.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Roll-Mount- ... B001MS6OM2[/quote

I wondered if that may destabilize the quads centre of gravity and give it more shakes. I'm using the "nomojello" wire mount and haven't found it all that great. I've tried loosening and tightening the wires and I'd give it a 6 out of 10 for improvement. Prop balancing is fast and effective. I'm too cautious to pull the motors out for balancing, i don't notice any major vibration. I have a tiny thermometer that looks like a pen and you just point it at something to tell its temperature. I'm going to start checking the motors after flying and see if there's a big variation. Apparently that's the sign of bearing or balance issue coming up.

Roadkilt said:
pwright said:
mercillus said:
I used the arms from the GoPro roll-bar mount kit to give me a little more length and be able to get vertical shots without the landing gear. Should also help with other angles.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Roll-Mount- ... B001MS6OM2[/quote

I wondered if that may destabilize the quads centre of gravity and give it more shakes. I'm using the "nomojello" wire mount and haven't found it all that great. I've tried loosening and tightening the wires and I'd give it a 6 out of 10 for improvement. Prop balancing is fast and effective. I'm too cautious to pull the motors out for balancing, i don't notice any major vibration. I have a tiny thermometer that looks like a pen and you just point it at something to tell its temperature. I'm going to start checking the motors after flying and see if there's a big variation. Apparently that's the sign of bearing or balance issue coming up.

I did try the go pro extra mounts that came in the package. Was too heavy... I like the software settings idea. Will attempt tonight if the weather holds up.

mercillus said:
I did try the go pro extra mounts that came in the package. Was too heavy... I like the software settings idea. Will attempt tonight if the weather holds up.

Use the skeletal GoPro case or the Phantom one to compensate for the additional weight.

But definitely try some of the narrower FOV options. I never use the wide options.

I just finished Installing an orange 8CH Fasst RX in my phantom to use with my T10CHG. The Phantom 2.4 is ok but I missed the feel of my Futaba! I had to watch a couple YouTube videos to get me through it. The servo wire that plugs into the x3 of the Naza is what powers the Naza and RX. The rest is pretty much straight forward. Then figuring out the OrangeRX fail safe took me a while but once I found out I needed to set it up through the RX and not the Futaba it was no problem. I've flown these Orange RX now for a couple years and get a better range then my Futaba 14Ch. You can't beat diversity RX dual antennas! I tested it out and all works great including the FS RTH. I'll post some pics of the Instal after work is anyone is interested. The orange RX sits very nice right on top of the stock RX hole. I added a little Velcro to make sure it stays put. I ran the two antenna out the leg ports and down the skids. I'm waiting for my FPV gear to arrive so I can test out the range. I'd be completely satisfied with 1 mile LOS. I don't fly 1 mile out but I do FPV and like to drop in under tree lines and trails and if I can get 1 mile LOS I shouldn't have a problem with 1/4 mile with obstructions, well so I hope. :D

by Wirewolf903 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:21 pm
I just finished Installing an orange 8CH Fasst RX in my phantom to use with my T10CHG. The Phantom 2.4 is ok but I missed the feel of my Futaba! I had to watch a couple YouTube videos to get me through it. The servo wire that plugs into the x3 of the Naza is what powers the Naza and RX. The rest is pretty much straight forward. Then figuring out the OrangeRX fail safe took me a while but once I found out I needed to set it up through the RX and not the Futaba it was no problem. I've flown these Orange RX now for a couple years and get a better range then my Futaba 14Ch. You can't beat diversity RX dual antennas! I tested it out and all works great including the FS RTH. I'll post some pics of the Instal after work is anyone is interested. The orange RX sits very nice right on top of the stock RX hole. I added a little Velcro to make sure it stays put. I ran the two antenna out the leg ports and down the skids. I'm waiting for my FPV gear to arrive so I can test out the range. I'd be completely satisfied with 1 mile LOS. I don't fly 1 mile out but I do FPV and like to drop in under tree lines and trails and if I can get 1 mile LOS I shouldn't have a problem with 1/4 mile with obstructions, well so I hope. :

Yeah, definitely post some pics of that setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20